Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

A Letter to Victoria’s Secret From a Father

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
63 replies to this topic

#1 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,550 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:35 PM

I fully agree with this - I think it's disgusting and embarrassing...

Dear Victoria’s Secret,
I am a father of a three year old girl. She loves princesses, Dora the Explorer, Doc McStuffins and drawing pictures for people. Her favorite foods are peanut butter and jelly, cheese and pistachios.
Even though she is only three, as a parent I have had those thoughts of my daughter growing up and not being the little girl she is now. It is true what they say about kids, they grow up fast. No matter how hard I try I know that she will not be the little ball of energy she is now; one day she will be a rebellious teenager that will more than likely think her dad is a total goof ball and would want to distance herself from my embarrassing presence.
I know that this is far down the line and I try to spend as much time as I can with her making memories of this special time.
But as I read an article today posted on The Black Sphere, it really got me thinking that maybe the culture that we currently find ourselves in is not helping the cause.
Recently I read an article that Victoria’s Secret is launching a line of underwear and bras aimed at middle school aged children. The line will be called “Bright Young Things” and will feature ” lace black cheeksters with the word “Wild” emblazoned on them, green and white polka-dot hipsters screen printed with “Feeling Lucky?” and a lace trim thong with the words, “Call me” on the front.”
As a dad, this makes me sick.
I believe that this sends the wrong message to not only my daughter but to all young girls.
I don’t want my daughter to ever think that her self-worth and acceptance by others is based on the choice of her undergarments. I don’t want my daughter to ever think that to be popular or even attractive she has to have emblazon words on her bottom.
I want my daughter (and every girl) to be faced with tough decisions in her formative years of adolescence. Decisions like should I be a doctor or a lawyer? Should I take calculus as a junior or a senior? Do I want to go to Texas A&M or University of Texas or some Ivy League School? Should I raise awareness for slave trafficking or lack of water in developing nations? There are many, many more questions that all young women should be asking themselves… not will a boy (or girl) like me if I wear a “call me” thong?
I want my daughter to know that she is perfect the way she is; I want my daughter to know that no matter what underwear she is wearing it does not define her.
I believe that this new line “Bright Young Things” thwarts the efforts of empowering young women in this country. “Bright Young Things” gives off the message that women are sex objects. This new line promotes it at a dangerously young age.
I implore you to reconsider your decision to start this line.
By doing so you will put young girl’s self-esteem, self-worth and pride above profits.
Sincerely,
Rev. Evan Dolive
Houston, TX

http://evandolive.co...-from-a-father/

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

cdc-unavailable.jpg

#2 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,655 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:47 PM

Disgusting and classless act by VS targeting young girls so blatantly like that. For one excecutive to present the marketing plan is one thing, but to have the rest accept it and push forward with it is deplorable. And some of the language used there if true is extremely disturbing and my hat off to the father for taking time to write that.

The solution to me is to give VS underwear an 'adult rating' and only can be purchased by adults.

Edited by Special Ed, 26 March 2013 - 12:51 PM.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#3 Buggernut

Buggernut

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,526 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:51 PM

I'm for the free market and free will deciding fashion, but marketing sexualization to under-18's is just plain WRONG!

#4 hockeyfan87

hockeyfan87

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:53 PM

It wouldn't exist if it didn't sell. I think parents should be responsible for raising kids and private companies for turning a profit. I think it's disgusting but ultimately commercial products are a reflection of what society wants.

#5 Watermelons

Watermelons

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:00 PM

I hope this letter gets more publicity or it will be ignored by Victoria's Secret

tumblr_lv6jbk180f1r5jtugo1_250.gif  Kirby_eats_a_watermelon.gif 

#6 Lancaster

Lancaster

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,937 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:02 PM

While I would probably agree with the father, it's only because daughters are different. They'll always be your little princess in your eyes, hence the need to "protect" them.
That being said, if say Nike came out with a youth boys line and words like, "Stud" or "Playa" who would even be complaining?

I have many discussions about this with my wife and her opinion is pretty much like.... it's up for parents to do their job, and you don't want your kids to be like and dress like nuns until they reach the age of consent and then they're suddenly overwhelmed and confused by concepts of sexuality.

#7 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:02 PM

Posted Image

Society is trying it's damnedest to turn every girl into a slut...

Don't take anything I say seriously! EVER!

#8 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,550 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:03 PM

I hope this letter gets more publicity or it will be ignored by Victoria's Secret

Yeah, it's all over FB...as Buggernut said, sexualising of children is wrong.

Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

cdc-unavailable.jpg

#9 theminister

theminister

Head Troll

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,578 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:16 PM

It wouldn't exist if it didn't sell. I think parents should be responsible for raising kids and private companies for turning a profit. I think it's disgusting but ultimately commercial products are a reflection of what society wants.

Permits.

This is why different countries create obscenity laws according to their societal standards.

Posted ImageNEW YORK ISLANDERS ROSTER - CDC GM LEAGUEPosted Image

2013 CDCGML CUP CHAMPIONS

#10 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,052 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:22 PM

Truly disgusting of them to think that is acceptable.

Society is really pressing for this crap for everything, people need to protest this garbage and be sure to never buy a VS product again.

I see tons of products similar to this, yet idiots always buy it. Glad to see someone making an effort to stop these soulless companies.

Pineapple_jumps.gifPineapple_jumps.gif

#11 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,507 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:31 PM

Pretty sad that someone would actually want to wear some of the items mentioned. Lowering your standards rarely results in higher self esteem.

Good on the Dad for taking the time to let them know how he feels. He is not alone.

There's simply no accounting for taste. What kind of idiot would wear this..........

Posted Image

Edited by nuckin_futz, 26 March 2013 - 01:33 PM.

#12 Rounoush

Rounoush

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:48 PM

That's so messed up. So sick of corporations taking advantage of impressionable young people.

2dgqi51.jpgfcvifc.jpg
Thanks a bunch to khalifawiz501 and Discord for the signatures.

#13 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:05 PM

Even worse... the world of child beauty pageants - check out the photos and videos at the link.
http://www.dailymail...-And-US-UK.html
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#14 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,040 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:14 PM

Yeesh, people will more or less do anything to make a buck, won't they.

Yeah, not cool, totally wrong. It truly does send the wrong message. "Feeling Lucky?" are you kidding me?

VS should be ashamed of themselves.

RIP LB RR PD

#15 Kent.S

Kent.S

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,658 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:53 PM

While I would probably agree with the father, it's only because daughters are different. They'll always be your little princess in your eyes, hence the need to "protect" them.
That being said, if say Nike came out with a youth boys line and words like, "Stud" or "Playa" who would even be complaining?

I have many discussions about this with my wife and her opinion is pretty much like.... it's up for parents to do their job, and you don't want your kids to be like and dress like nuns until they reach the age of consent and then they're suddenly overwhelmed and confused by concepts of sexuality.

Oh wow, an intelligent post!
I totally agree.

#16 AllHailSmyl

AllHailSmyl

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,737 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:13 PM

Even worse... the world of child beauty pageants - check out the photos and videos at the link.
http://www.dailymail...-And-US-UK.html

Big thumbs down indeed. How parents can enter their children in these is just mind boggling.

By the way learn how to spell SHIRIKOV who is this shirakov

Amazingly on his first shift Kassian would have had a breakaway if Kesler knew how to pass. And he still got switched with Weiss. And note it is "Weiss" not "Wise".

#17 Gross-Misconduct

Gross-Misconduct

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:25 PM

Another bible thumper trying to impose his views on everyone else.

Here's an idea, if he doesn't like the products, don't buy them.

HpkJUPw.jpg

Credit to KingAlex for the sig. R.I.P.

#18 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,542 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:41 PM

I find it wildly ironic that you feel someone is 'imposing their views' yet your second sentence is no different than anything this man is trying to accomplish.

It is also shortsighted of you to assume that he is a 'bible thumper'. Despite being a reverend, nowhere in that post does he allude to religion. You do not have to hold religious beliefs to agree with his message. I am agnostic and I agree with him.

Edited by debluvscanucks, 27 March 2013 - 04:56 PM.
Edited, as some have misinterpreted the comment and, with that, we'll remove it

What a ???? joke. Benning is the worst GM in the NHL. I can't believe this guy is actually this stupid. This imbecile is going to drive this team into the ???? ground.

Down by the River - Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.

#19 debluvscanucks

debluvscanucks

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 27,947 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 06:49 PM

It has to exist in order to sell...you're putting the cart before the horse.

I agree 100% with this fathers' thinking....he neglected to mention that it sends the very wrong message to pedophiles as well. To "advertise" in a way that presents this train of thought as acceptable is irresponsible. How much lower can we go?....I find myself asking this pretty much daily.

GM....do you have kids? I don't suppose you do but that's a rather shortsighted view of things. It goes beyond "don't buy it"...it's about the fact that anyone would think there's an appropriate market for this. That it's a sorry state of affairs the day there is.

(Just read your comment DBTR...great minds?)

2421657-1-1-1-1-1.jpg

You can be livin the dream at home. Dont even need to put yer pants on.

-Offensive Threat

#20 NightHawkSniper

NightHawkSniper

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,666 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:04 PM

Looking at your reply and your name that's quite ironic...

5577747361_37d631069c_m.jpg

#21 JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo

JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,717 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:27 PM

I was in Fred Meyers last week and I noticed they had a wall of TapOut shirts for boys aged 5-12. I thought it was irresponsible of them to sell that stuff but this takes the cake.
Posted Image

#22 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,542 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:32 PM

It has to exist in order to sell...you're putting the cart before the horse.

I agree 100% with this fathers' thinking....he neglected to mention that it sends the very wrong message to pedophiles as well. To "advertise" in a way that presents this train of thought as acceptable is irresponsible. How much lower can we go?....I find myself asking this pretty much daily.

GM....do you have kids? I don't suppose you do but that's a rather shortsighted view of things. It goes beyond "don't buy it"...it's about the fact that anyone would think there's an appropriate market for this. That it's a sorry state of affairs the day there is.

(Just read your comment DBTR...great minds?)

Yup. Maybe let VS make the product and hopefully that would lead to greater backlash against their ill-informed idea.

As another poster mentioned, Tap Out shirts for 6 year old children are also inappropriate. Again, others can't force a company not to make their product, but that doesn't mean these 'others' have to remain silent about this either.

The reason why the VS strategy is particularly controversial (compared to Tapout) is that they are sexualizing girls who aren't even above the age of consensual sex. No, they don't say 'insert here' on the front....but this is certainly what they are insinuating. This should never been insinuated of 12 year old girls.

What a ???? joke. Benning is the worst GM in the NHL. I can't believe this guy is actually this stupid. This imbecile is going to drive this team into the ???? ground.

Down by the River - Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.

#23 Horny Manatee

Horny Manatee

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,955 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:40 PM

If a girl gets down to her underwear then chances are high that stuff is going down regardless of what the underroos have written on them.
Posted Image
Lick my lollipops?

#24 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,550 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 07:54 PM

Nice stereotype. :sadno:

How hypocritical of you - you say "don't impose your views" then you turn around and impose yours.

cdc-unavailable.jpg

#25 MillerGenuineDraft

MillerGenuineDraft

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,821 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:14 PM

Limited Brands is the most unethical and horrible corporation out there. I say this because I've worked for them. They do whatever it is possible to push revenue.

Edited by MillerGenuineDraft, 26 March 2013 - 08:15 PM.

MILLERGENUINEDRAFT

#26 logic

logic

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,574 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 08:28 PM

I'm not complaining B)
But in all seriousness, I don't agree with it. But at the end of the day you're the person/parent buying the product. And if it's your choice to wear something like that, I have no problem with that.

It's exactly the same as alcohol, I can tell you brands like Palm Bay, and Cariboo aim their products at minors, because even though its illegal there is still a market.

bijp77.jpg

Credit to VC

#27 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,742 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:45 PM

Besides the writer's honorific (reverend), nowhere in the letter does it mention the Bible, or anything about religion. This is picking at nothing, much like your thinly-veiled attempt of an attack at Christy Clark and the Grey Cup.

My goodness - you need to enrol in some reading comprehension classes...

#28 kyledude

kyledude

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,932 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 10:50 PM

Posted Image

This could all be solved by not buying these products.

#29 jannik freaking hansen

jannik freaking hansen

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 11:29 PM

This could all be solved by not buying these products.

My thoughts exactly. You know you could try being a parent and tell your kids "no" and explain to them why they they cannot have it, instead of blaming companies for your child's problems. That's what my parents did. Too many times I see parents let their young children have free reign and shrug it off as "that's just the way they are". Too many parents are content with taking the easy way out and avoiding a potential tantrum then actually parenting. Sure what VS is doing is atrocious but if VS doesn't make these clothes someone else will. Hell it's not like we don't see 12-14 year old girls walking around in short shorts whenever the weather is nice.

#30 theminister

theminister

Head Troll

• Members
  • 14,578 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:12 AM

As an aside, I saw an elderly, yes elderly, lady wearing a pair of those "Juicy" pants.

I can't even possibly begin to tell you some of the thoughts that went through my head but the first one was "Yuck!", the second was "That's just wrong", and the third was "Not likely."

Maybe there is a market to exploit seniors for VS too?

Posted ImageNEW YORK ISLANDERS ROSTER - CDC GM LEAGUEPosted Image

2013 CDCGML CUP CHAMPIONS

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.