The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What the Sedins need to do to get out of the funk

CanucksJay

It's been apparent that the NHL has changed their mandate from obstruction free hockey back to the dead puck era in which clutching, grabbing is allowed again.

We see the Sedins' cycles being broken because the d-man will pin one of them into the boards (even after they have already distributed the puck) and then hold them (in tight close to their body like a offensive linemen block in football) and then fall on them.

The Sedins don't have a chance when play like this is allowed to continue.

I realized yesterday what they actually need to do.

This was when Burrows was blatantly held and then tackled onto the ice last night with no call made. Burrows on his belly then tripped the d-man to regain an advantage which created a scoring chance for us

The refs can't call that tripping penalty because they know full well they JUST turned a blind eye to the hold/tackle.

Shorty called in tit for tat but really, it is what it is.

You can't ignore a hold/tackle and then call a player for diving out in desperation to "regain" the puck which he was forced to do because the refs didn't do their job of calling the original penalty.

Sedins need to realize this and start tripping players when they are being held. When someone grabs them and tries to tackle them, they should foul the other player as they are going down fully knowing that its a race to get back up on their feet and beat the d-men to the net as the d-men would have fallen down half a step AFTER them so the advantage in the race goes to the Sedins.

I guarantee that this will cause more and even better chances until the refs realize whats going on and start calling penalties again except then, it would be going back to the old rules of no obstruction/holding which the Sedins excelled at.

This is similar to Boston's tactics in the playoffs in which they knew the refs would only call a certain amount of penalties so what they did was they made an enormous amount of plays that would "normally" be penalties but only got called on half of them because the refs aren't going to give Van a 30 min PP game in the playoffs.

The idea is use the refs biases against them without them even realizing what's happening

It's been apparent that the NHL has changed their mandate from obstruction free hockey back to the dead puck era in which clutching, grabbing is allowed again.

We see the Sedins' cycles being broken because the d-man will pin one of them into the boards (even after they have already distributed the puck) and then hold them (in tight close to their body like a offensive linemen block in football) and then fall on them.

The Sedins don't have a chance when play like this is allowed to continue.

It's making adjustments to improve results. I like it!

I realized yesterday what they actually need to do.

This was when Burrows was blatantly held and then tackled onto the ice last night with no call made. Burrows on his belly then tripped the d-man to regain an advantage which created a scoring chance for us

The refs can't call that tripping penalty because they know full well they JUST turned a blind eye to the hold/tackle.

Shorty called in tit for tat but really, it is what it is.

You can't ignore a hold/tackle and then call a player for diving out in desperation to "regain" the puck which he was forced to do because the refs didn't do their job of calling the original penalty.

Sedins need to realize this and start tripping players when they are being held. When someone grabs them and tries to tackle them, they should foul the other player as they are going down fully knowing that its a race to get back up on their feet and beat the d-men to the net as the d-men would have fallen down half a step AFTER them so the advantage in the race goes to the Sedins.

I guarantee that this will cause more and even better chances until the refs realize whats going on and start calling penalties again except then, it would be going back to the old rules of no obstruction/holding which the Sedins excelled at.

This is similar to Boston's tactics in the playoffs in which they knew the refs would only call a certain amount of penalties so what they did was they made an enormous amount of plays that would "normally" be penalties but only got called on half of them because the refs aren't going to give Van a 30 min PP game in the playoffs.

The idea is use the refs biases against them without them even realizing what's happening

Your theory makes no sense, "the Sedins need to trip them"...yeah take a penalty (round of applause)..don't have to worry, if the teams winning that's all that matters. Its not like they aren't getting chances. Points will come.

Certainly the game has changed this year. The officials are calling a completely different game from previous seasons. The clutching and grabbing that was so despised in the past is back in vogue. I guess the big question is how will it be called come the play-offs?

It's a question MG might need the help of a swami with, because it will impact player picks up at the dead line.

The change in officiating standards has impacted the Sedins, maybe other players to. Philly has sure taken a nose dive this season maybe Giroux is feeling the effects to?

Lastly has Daniel Sedin been the same since the Duncan Keith hit ?

Certainly the game has changed this year. The officials are calling a completely different game from previous seasons. The clutching and grabbing that was so despised in the past is back in vogue. I guess the big question is how will it be called come the play-offs?

It's a question MG might need the help of a swami with, because it will impact player picks up at the dead line.

The change in officiating standards has impacted the Sedins, maybe other players to. Philly has sure taken a nose dive this season maybe Giroux is feeling the effects to?

Lastly has Daniel Sedin been the same since the Duncan Keith hit ?

I'm saying the refs wont call a penalty on the play if the Sedins trip a player while falling down because they ignored the 1st infraction which led to the Sedins falling

We see make up NON calls ALL the time. It's especially easy to ignore IF it all happened in the same play within micro seconds of each other

The refs are famous for calling retaliation penalties or when the situation looks like it might get out of hand. It doesn't solve games like last night, where the refs let things go, but having one of our players (and I say this with no bias or conspiracy in mind) trying to bring a player down that's holding or obstructing them to even it up will result in more penalties, not less.

The one thing that does bug me about games like last night is clearly the NHL is lying when it says it want's to increase goal production. A 0-0 game that goes to the shootout with any number of penalties for both sides not called to try and let play flow. The simple solution to increase goals scored is to call more penalties when players are being impeded from creating offence.

Archived