The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Edler proving why hes our #1 D-man

Merely

I remember when he first broke into the NHL. All the same praises we're giving to Tanev, it used to be for Edler.

"Wow, he's so cool under pressure! Cold as a cucumber!"

"Makes the simple plays, no mistakes"

Now he's handling the puck as if it's a grenade waiting to go off.

Edler needs a stable partner. He was fine either playing with Ehrhoff or Salo. Both gone, and it looks like he hasn't elevated his game yet. He is still very young, reminds me of Bieska 3 years ago. 3 years ago Kevin Bieksa was a !@#$% in mother @@#$% in liablity to the team. It came to a point were he only played 16 minutes of ice time. When we traded for Ballard I thought oh yay, we are finally going to trade away Bieksa. But guess what, he improved and got better. Edler is on the same course. He will get better and improve.

Edler had a solid game. Broke up some potentially very dangerous chances. CDC is just too busy with "OMGZ he drop passed again!!!1!1!!!1" Yeah, the drop pass that always backs up the defense, stop doing that. :rolleyes:

Clearly he has been told he needs to tighten his defensive game up before he deals with offense so he's not getting PP time, thus not much offense tonight but whatever, it'll come if he keeps playing like this. Not every offensive d man is Weber...or Garrison :bigblush:

The whole season, our best defenceman have been Hamhuis and Tanev. Garrison/Bieksa not far behind. Edler was alright in the first couple games, then started playing decent. He was great with Ehrhoff and Salo.

I've been very critical of Edler since last years playoffs but I know he has the potential to turn it around, just an off year for him.

Hopefully its sooner that later, looks to be on the right track anyway.

Every season is up and down, the Canucks havent gotten hot yet, sure theres winning streaks but nothing that stands out and says "wow the nucks are rolling".

Might happen at just the right time this year :)

I just don't see Edler's game improving. If there was a particular strength that he maintained it might be different. His play at either end of the ice is full of errors and risky plays. CUP contending teams will eat him up. Hopefully the last 12 games gets him going.

Archived