Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Edler proving why hes our #1 D-man

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
184 replies to this topic

#31 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,764 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:26 AM

Why are you guys so hard on him? After all, he is the one thats going to win us the cup, from the defensive side.

There goes the last of my hope for a cup this year........thanks a lot man.

#32 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,764 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:27 AM

Edler doing what Elder does, coughing it up like it's nobody's business.

His nickname should be phlegm

#33 AllEyezOnMe

AllEyezOnMe

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:40 AM

hamhuis
garrison
bieksa
tanev
edler
ballard

my rankings off what ive seen

I think you got it wrong

Hamhuis
Tanev
Garrison
Ballard
Bieksa
Edler

Dont you remember at the start of this season when tanev and Ballard were our star defenders and garrison, edler, bieksa were liabilitys. Hamhuis is not as good as previous seasons but has been getting into form as each game passes and so has garrison/bieksa. Just waiting on edler to play like we know he can.

#34 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,907 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:43 AM

I thought he had a really good game.

He gets alot of unfair hate. Like with Gillis everyones objectivity is becoming skewed whenever the topic is Edler.

People here complain about AV's doghouse. The fan doghouse is far tougher to get out of.

MentalMidgetSig.jpg

#35 frazzY

frazzY

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:03 AM

I've been very critical of Edler since last years playoffs but I know he has the potential to turn it around, just an off year for him.

Hopefully its sooner that later, looks to be on the right track anyway.

Every season is up and down, the Canucks havent gotten hot yet, sure theres winning streaks but nothing that stands out and says "wow the nucks are rolling".

Might happen at just the right time this year :)

#36 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,937 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:04 AM

I just don't see Edler's game improving. If there was a particular strength that he maintained it might be different. His play at either end of the ice is full of errors and risky plays. CUP contending teams will eat him up. Hopefully the last 12 games gets him going.

#37 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,028 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:17 AM

Why are you guys so hard on him? After all, he is the one thats going to win us the cup, from the defensive side.

And you've proved you know absolutely zip, zero, zilch, and nada about hockey. Congrats ... he's going to win us a cup from the defensive side? He can barely tie his own skates. What are you on?

As someone else said, he was not that noticable in yesterday's game. I only saw 3-4 bonehead plays, I especially like the one where he just decided to fall down in his own end.

Canuckslogo160x160.jpg

#38 Wheels22

Wheels22

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:25 AM

Game 7.. we're down by a goal.. with 1 minute left in the 3rd...

I'd send out Barker over Edler

#39 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,028 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:28 AM

Frack, I'd send out Alex Ovechkin on D first. :)

Canuckslogo160x160.jpg

#40 Socrates

Socrates

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:00 AM

If this were true, then we should plan a run at the Cup after Edler has either retired or was traded.

#41 Socrates

Socrates

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:02 AM

I'd send out Luongo over Edler :emot-parrot:

#42 Apple Juice

Apple Juice

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:03 AM

¡Edler es numero uno!

Edited by Apple Juice, 05 April 2013 - 09:04 AM.

#43 Apple Juice

Apple Juice

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:05 AM

Personal bias, I prefer Edler because he's my favourite player... But since we're going with this joke....

I'd send John Scott over Edler.

#44 RockNroLLa.

RockNroLLa.

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:10 AM

one good game and hes our savior..

#45 ForsbergTheGreat

ForsbergTheGreat

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:20 AM

Any one else see when elder had the puck go by him on the board so he decided to lay down and try to poke the puck back into the corner only to cost a scoring opportunity. Elder had a bunch of giveaway today that lucky were not capitalized on. He was by far not our best D man last night. Garrison had a really good game, He was solid defensively. Not trying to be hard on edler but he's not been our #1 d man at all this year

#46 Gonz

Gonz

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:43 AM

I was at the game. Horrendous defence. lol.

Your an idiot the shots were kept low and that's usually due to all around good team defense

#47 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,761 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:46 AM

Kinda like AV...

Yup!
Posted Image

#48 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,761 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:49 AM

Personal bias, I prefer Edler because he's my favourite player... But since we're going with this joke....

I'd send John Scott over Edler.

There is only one man you want in that situation... Aaron "The Man" Rome!!!
Posted Image

#49 Bang Bang Boogie

Bang Bang Boogie

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,374 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:37 AM

one good game and hes our savior..

Not even a good game. Just a game where he's not as bad as usual.
Posted Image

#50 Socrates

Socrates

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:44 AM

¡Edler es numero uno!

Actually ... ¡Edler es numero veinte y tres! On 25-player roster, this sounds about right. OK, this is perhaps a little harsh, but I couldn't pass on the joke.

Kidding aside, I would have traded Edler long time ago, would have not extended his contract, would have traded him at this last deadline, and would still trade him in the summer (before NTC kicks in). I believe that his value vs. cap hit ratio is diminishing. Honestly, I truly hope he makes me swallow my words in the Playoffs - I would be happy to post my apology to him after spectacular performances, but I seriously doubt I'd have to do that.

Edited by Socrates, 05 April 2013 - 10:45 AM.

#51 48MPHSlapShot

48MPHSlapShot

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:58 AM

Despite the offensive production, Edler has to be the worst Dman from a defensive standpoint on the team.

D ranking as of this moment IMHO

Hamhuis
Garrison
Bieksa
Tanev
Ballard
Edler

(Note: The only reason Ballard is so low is because og AVs inexplicable press box sittings)

I do believe that Edler does have some major trade value though, as other GMs may covet an offensive Dman that can get them 50 points and make a nice outlet pass.

But as of this moment, I wouldn't trust Edler as far as I could throw him.

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot, 05 April 2013 - 10:59 AM.

#52 TheEhrhoffEffect

TheEhrhoffEffect

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,216 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:03 AM

His back injury really screwed him up. Doesn't seem like the player that he used to be.

#53 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,528 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:08 AM

Disagree with the haters. I think last night was the best game Edler has played in some time.

Juice and Garrison were the best of the bunch, but overall, it was a very good performance all around from the D.

However, I agree that one game doesn't make up for a sub-par (so far) season. He needs to consistently play like he did last night.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#54 Apple Juice

Apple Juice

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:12 AM

There is only one man you want in that situation... Aaron "The Man" Rome!!!

What's with the hate for Aaron Rome? I personally like the guy and I think he would've done well with a regular top 6 pairing.. Sure he has his liabilities but who doesn't? (aside from maybe Lidstrom and Niedermayer)... Rome is a solid 6th d-man for any team and I honestly rather have him than Alberts

#55 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,334 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:18 AM

Glad to see Eddie finding a bit more balance. Less mistakes for sure.

The haters in this thread revealed they did not watch the game with transparency or even anything close to resembling a critical eye for the game unfolding.

In fact the team D as a whole looked much better than we have seen the last while. When that happens, it flatters the blueliners.

2sa1qgh.jpg

The Canucks Playoff preparation

#56 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,705 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:26 AM

A good game finally.....I really wished we traded him though...he's just far too inconsistent. He's had like 3 or 4 decent games this whole season and was a mess in the playoffs last year.

and he's our highest paid d-man.

Pros
-big
-great slapper
-good speed for a big guy

Cons
-bad defensively
-refuses to hit
-gets beat one on one a lot for a "potential norris winner"

It seems like he doesn't give 100% effort most of the time he plays imo.

Maybe his back is still bothering him? If it is it would be pretty stupid for him to be playing when we have so many defencemen ready to step in.

m97o1w.jpg

Credit to Parise11

#57 Edlerberry

Edlerberry

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:27 AM

Funny, because for the past few games he's been the worst player on the ice
July 7-2013

Toronto will take a step back next year.
Feel free to quote me.

July 8-2013

Wow I can't believe peoples replies...
Im done here. You people are disgusting..

#58 Socrates

Socrates

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:28 AM

Disagree with the haters. I think last night was the best game Edler has played in some time.

Juice and Garrison were the best of the bunch, but overall, it was a very good performance all around from the D.

However, I agree that one game doesn't make up for a sub-par (so far) season. He needs to consistently play like he did last night.

Personally, I am not an Edler hater, I am simply a Cup lover - probably the same is true with most "haters". I happen to believe that Edler is a liability and I hope he is traded this summer while we can still ship him for a decent return.

You're probably right: last night's game was probably his best lately. But if you have a chance to watch a replay and pick up on his mistakes (particularly one dumb giveaway early on, that might have changed the complexion of the game), you will realize how much worse he usually is. So please don't just believe me or the other "haters", just pay a bit more attention in the following games.

#59 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,334 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:42 AM

Personally, I am not an Edler hater, I am simply a Cup lover - probably the same is true with most "haters". I happen to believe that Edler is a liability and I hope he is traded this summer while we can still ship him for a decent return.

You're probably right: last night's game was probably his best lately. But if you have a chance to watch a replay and pick up on his mistakes (particularly one dumb giveaway early on, that might have changed the complexion of the game), you will realize how much worse he usually is. So please don't just believe me or the other "haters", just pay a bit more attention in the following games.

The overall balanced play>the few mistakes.

And trust me, Rupe is probably following the games much more intently than most folks on CDC.

So many people live in the past around here, that they cannot get it through their heads that a player in the fan doghouse might be able to actually cobble together a good game without unfairly referencing his spottier games.

2sa1qgh.jpg

The Canucks Playoff preparation

#60 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 16,028 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 12:10 PM

A good game finally.....I really wished we traded him though...he's just far too inconsistent. He's had like 3 or 4 decent games this whole season and was a mess in the playoffs last year.

and he's our highest paid d-man.

Pros
-big
-great slapper
-good speed for a big guy

Cons
-bad defensively
-refuses to hit
-gets beat one on one a lot for a "potential norris winner"

It seems like he doesn't give 100% effort most of the time he plays imo.

Maybe his back is still bothering him? If it is it would be pretty stupid for him to be playing when we have so many defencemen ready to step in.

I believe he can be considered quick when he is jumping into the play. Other than that he is one of the slowest players in the league. I can run faster than he can skate.

The overall balanced play>the few mistakes.

And trust me, Rupe is probably following the games much more intently than most folks on CDC.

So many people live in the past around here, that they cannot get it through their heads that a player in the fan doghouse might be able to actually cobble together a good game without unfairly referencing his spottier games.

I recall 3 or 4 typical Edler blunders. Fortunately team D was at a premium and we recovered fairly quickly in all instances. It's pretty sad though that it's progressed to the point that we're now giving him a free pass as long as his stupidity doesn't end up in the net. As in we fully expect the worst turnovers and defensive reads but hope the other team doesn't capitalize on it. If they don't then Edler has had a good game.

Edited by Dogbyte, 05 April 2013 - 01:12 PM.

Canuckslogo160x160.jpg

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.