The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

23 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

Makes sense. I'll give these a try. Does the bar roll forward out  of your  arms when you do the lift?

I have only research too be honest. I will be trying the exercise and can let you know! I'll probably start lighter to get a feel for proper core engagement and prevent my back being rounded. (I suffer from a bit of kyphosis unfortunately). I've heard it helps front squats because of its positioning and strength in your posterior so I'm looking for those types of gains. Will give you an update! 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rough Neck said:

I have only research too be honest. I will be trying the exercise and can let you know! I'll probably start lighter to get a feel for proper core engagement and prevent my back being rounded. (I suffer from a bit of kyphosis unfortunately). I've heard it helps front squats because of its positioning and strength in your posterior so I'm looking for those types of gains. Will give you an update! 

I'd recommend a couple sessions with a trainer. I get a few every couple of years, just to get rid of bad habits. Lifting is a constant learning process.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, taxi said:

I'd recommend a couple sessions with a trainer. I get a few every couple of years, just to get rid of bad habits. Lifting is a constant learning process.

Appreciate the advice :) My kyphosis isn't from bad lifting however, more from computer gaming for the last 10 years. In terms of technique I'm usually pretty conscious about natural curve of lower back, thoracic spine, posterior/anterior tilt, except when I sit down.. :/

On 2018-02-19 at 12:13 PM, Sean Monahan said:

Makes sense. I'll give these a try. Does the bar roll forward out  of your  arms when you do the lift?

Tried the exercise. Was a bit different for sure. Bar didn't roll forward as long as you keep it tight.  only used 25s in each side (95). It's pretty killer of the inside of the elbow/bicep from the hold however. I'd say you feel less stress on the back then say, Romanian deadlift, which is nice. 

• Cheers 1

Today I did 96 flights of stairs throughout the day.  It's really relaxing; that and doing a run/walk.  I plan on doing that at the gym this evening, and then go grocery shopping. I have more than the usual to buy, and I planned my list, and listed each store to buy each item at - QFC, Safeway, Trader Joe's.  

I'm meeting with a trainer 1x a week.  I'm weak on top, so we're building strength on top and getting rid of body fat everywhere else.

My fitness routine...  

For an old never was has been guy....   used to play decent grade of rugby..

I do exercise 6 days per week ( very consistent with this )

I average about  10,000 to 15,000 steps per day.  ( 5 days a week ) Mostly trails near my home. 

Play 2  games of ice hockey per week  75 minute each.

Ride the stationary bike once a  week for an hour  ( 500-600 calories burned ).

Watch what i eat right now big time...   ( low carbs,  low booze,  less snacking  )    I am trying to drop  25 pounds...  already lost 10.

Basically i find aerobic training more pleasurable so i am more likely to maintain this type of regime..... 

• Like 1

On 3/1/2018 at 10:17 AM, HI5 said:

Feel like my push workouts are taking a hit on this deficit. This mornings workout was a struggle, not hitting my rep ranges.

How are your shoulders? I think they would help in regards to stability. Are you 3-4 exercises of the chest in one day (bodybuilding style) or are you a 1-2x a week 1/2 exercises, focus on progressive overload style (imo a more sport-specific athlete approach). 

Also, how about your back? My previous college's personal trainer for the athletic teams is a powerlifter and always said one way to develop a stronger bench pres (he holds a national Jr record) is to develop a really strong back. 

Quite typically, from the PT's I trust and their articles I have read will say may individuals look for a bigger, stronger chest, however they neglect the back and/or don't focus on a single chest exercise to get stronger in to make their chest bigger or stronger.

Sorry, I also read you are in a deficit so I had overlooked that. When I dropped weight one summer (25lbs) I always had a ton of protein (150-200g) and trained for strength training. Example would be I would be doing two upper body days and the push exercises were typically Incline bench and push ups on one day (3-4 sets x 8-12 range) and military press and dumbell flat bench the second day (3-4x8-12). So still training for hypertrophy and strength, while in a deficit and getting a lot of protein. Also if you are a carb for energy type of individual stacking your low glycemic carbs before (sweet potato, brown rice etc..) and your high glycemic (banana, white rice etc..) after workouts and have very minimal during your other meals. 

Edited by Rough Neck
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I leave for Mexico in exactly 6 weeks. 37 days. Unfortunately I'm stuck between choosing a weight training cut, or go full on cardio. I've recently taken up running, err.. jogging. Doing about 3.5-5km 3 times a week and weight training real heavy 1 time a week, sometimes 2. And ice hockey 1x/week. I need to commit to 1 fully, I just don't know which is going to be most efficient over 37 days. The decision also impacts my eating. Even though both paths are a cutting path, the fuel needed to sustain a heavy aerobic program is going to be different than weight training. 

Any advice?

edit: Ideally would like to get down about 7lbs, but more importantly, roughly 2-3% bf. 

Edited by NucksPatsFan

21 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

I leave for Mexico in exactly 6 weeks. 37 days. Unfortunately I'm stuck between choosing a weight training cut, or go full on cardio. I've recently taken up running, err.. jogging. Doing about 3.5-5km 3 times a week and weight training real heavy 1 time a week, sometimes 2. And ice hockey 1x/week. I need to commit to 1 fully, I just don't know which is going to be most efficient over 37 days. The decision also impacts my eating. Even though both paths are a cutting path, the fuel needed to sustain a heavy aerobic program is going to be different than weight training. 

Any advice?

edit: Ideally would like to get down about 7lbs, but more importantly, roughly 2-3% bf. 

You nailed it there with the bolded. If by real heavy you mean rep ranges around 3RM plus the 3x/week running I would probably just stick to the aerobic work and forget about trying to get stronger. For resistance exercise I would have the rep ranges a little higher to support running and hockey. Full body workouts with a focus on lateral chain work is a good complement to running because how 'streamlined' running is as an activity, also good for hockey as it is a multi-plane sport.

But ultimately it depends on your goals. If you want to get stronger than do more strength work; if you want to lose fat then you will need to run which is counter productive to gaining mass/strength, generally speaking.

21 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

You nailed it there with the bolded. If by real heavy you mean rep ranges around 3RM plus the 3x/week running I would probably just stick to the aerobic work and forget about trying to get stronger. For resistance exercise I would have the rep ranges a little higher to support running and hockey. Full body workouts with a focus on lateral chain work is a good complement to running because how 'streamlined' running is as an activity, also good for hockey as it is a multi-plane sport.

But ultimately it depends on your goals. If you want to get stronger than do more strength work; if you want to lose fat then you will need to run which is counter productive to gaining mass/strength, generally speaking.

Strength isn't a priority for me right now heading into the spring and summer, and with more aerobic-type events planned like Tough Mudder and the Kelowna winery marathon ( I don't expect to finish that one:lol:). From what I'm picking up from your post, I'm thinking it's going to be better to keep up with the 3x/week running, and add in a full body, compound and lateral chain heavy gym day with high rep ranges. 

56 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Strength isn't a priority for me right now heading into the spring and summer, and with more aerobic-type events planned like Tough Mudder and the Kelowna winery marathon ( I don't expect to finish that one:lol:). From what I'm picking up from your post, I'm thinking it's going to be better to keep up with the 3x/week running, and add in a full body, compound and lateral chain heavy gym day with high rep ranges. 

Depends what you mean by 'heavy gym day'. Personally I wouldn't be doing strength sets anywhere near 3RM. I would probably be around 6-8 for my main lifts/exercises. then 10+ for the other accessory exercises.

have a similar routine to you and a workout (following warm up and activation exercises) for me would look like this:

Split Squats 4x6 + DB Row 4x8

Pullups 3x10 + core exercise

Side planks variations

accessory exercises 2-3x15 reps

Basic accessory exercises may be shoulder raises, hamstring curls, glute bridges etc. Side lunges are another good exercise for hockey and running