The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

On 4/4/2020 at 9:40 AM, Monty said:

I don’t actually miss watching professional hockey. Wouldn’t be bothered if it never came back.

However, I do miss playing beer league. Great workout followed by downing a beer faster than I normally would.

Same here, nothing like downing a few cold ones in the locker room. Beer just goes down like water!

14 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

One time driving around stanley park there was this dude on one of those thin wheeled bikes going like 60+ km/h. Keeping up with the cars

I’ll be the guy at Stanley Park crashing into cars barely going 5km lol. 

I had no idea bikes were this expensive, thought $500 I’d have a bike and runners. Instead I have to fork out at least another $500 for a decent entry level bike. 

• Cheers 1

This home workout is getting to me. For the last 5 weeks, I've been focusing primarily on chest, shoulders, and arms. Can't work back a whole lot because I don't have the adequate equipment. Also, when my father gave me his weight set, he decided to keep his 20lb dumb bells, which eats into my standing tricep extensions.

I'm doing squats, but I'm using 45lb dumb bell, so it's more than uncomfortable doing it that way.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Monty said:

This home workout is getting to me. For the last 5 weeks, I've been focusing primarily on chest, shoulders, and arms. Can't work back a whole lot because I don't have the adequate equipment. Also, when my father gave me his weight set, he decided to keep his 20lb dumb bells, which eats into my standing tricep extensions.

I'm doing squats, but I'm using 45lb dumb bell, so it's more than uncomfortable doing it that way.

I always found doing standard squats with dumbbells to be extremely uncomfortable as well.  Try doing other variations of squats instead...goblet squats, sumo squats, jump squats, side squats, Bulgarian split squats, etc...so many different styles.  For some reason regular squats were just brutal on my shoulders. 

10 hours ago, HI5 said:

I’ll be the guy at Stanley Park crashing into cars barely going 5km lol. 

I had no idea bikes were this expensive, thought $500 I’d have a bike and runners. Instead I have to fork out at least another $500 for a decent entry level bike. 

Try mountain biking. If you find good trails it is essientally fast paced hiking but you can still go at your own pace. Bring some goods, go with a buddy or your lady and have a nice lunch somewhere.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, babych said:

Ran my first half marathon today.. took about 2:16 so not quite the sub 2 hours I was hoping for but I made it!

I have a feeling I’d be around the 2:10 mark. But I haven’t even tried, yet. So good on you!

• Like 1

Went from 280 to 240 since the new year. Barely worked out. I have been lazy in that regard, but I have changed my diet. My weight fluctuates a lot when I am 240+

Still look the same though. Being 6'4'' with 6'8'' wingspan will do that.

Probably should start doing some home workouts. Most of the weight I have lost is fat but I don't doubt I have lost some muscle. 

Gonna aim for 195-205. gut would probably be fully gone and abs would probably show then if I start working out now. When gyms reopen up I am gonna go hard.

I could probably do a lot with 20lb dumbbells. Find any playground to do pull ups. Chest is gonna be an issue since I only got pushups and flys, can't really go hard.

19 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Finally got some equipment:

Bosu,

35 Lbs. Kettlebell

40 Lbs. Kettlebell

25 Lbs. Dumbbell

15 Lbs. Dumbbell

10 Lbs. dumbbell

18 Lbs. medicine ball

55 Lbs. cylinder bag with handles

Been able to create a pretty killer routine

Did you buy the interchangeable dumbbells/kettlebells?

While my workouts at home is going fine, I really need to meet with a personal trainer, again. Arms, chest, and back are certainly the areas growing the most, but I want to start pushing more and ensure I’m progressing. Not positive at all that what I’m doing is working a whole lot.

On 4/27/2020 at 11:19 AM, Sean Monahan said:

Dips?

Yeah I figure I could perhaps if I look hard enough for sure. Should still be strong enough to do them especially with dropping 40ish pounds. Could bench 2 plates to 10 before I stopped. Didn't really push too much more than that since I was always alone and wanted the rest of my body to catch up with my chest.

Edited by Junkyard Dog

On 4/24/2020 at 5:56 PM, Junkyard Dog said:

Try mountain biking. If you find good trails it is essientally fast paced hiking but you can still go at your own pace. Bring some goods, go with a buddy or your lady and have a nice lunch somewhere.

Ended up grabbing a road bike, but now I’m thinking I should have just grabbed a hybrid. 

We’ll see if I actually stick with it as I’ve been neglecting cardio for sometime. I may just upgrade quick and hand down this bike to my nephew.