The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Henrik Tommernes to entry level contract

Sauve spent the last part of the season...seasoning in Kalamazoo, Who knows what will happen with "the cheater". McEneny, Andersson, Price, Polasek are still another year or so from a call-up. That leaves Corrodo, Tommernes as "the promised ones". Of our positions, I would say defence is still our weakest spot.

Hammer Bieksa are the only ones 30+ after next season, so our defense are reaching their prime or are not there yet, therefor defense shouldn't be our weak spot considering we will be getting defensemens for the next 2-5 years to keep defense solid.

AV is a defense first coach and he might be influencing some of this signing/drafting defensemens, after he is gone we might see a change in the defense ways.

Hammer Bieksa are the only ones 30+ after next season, so our defense are reaching their prime or are not there yet, therefor defense shouldn't be our weak spot considering we will be getting defensemens for the next 2-5 years to keep defense solid.

AV is a defense first coach and he might be influencing some of this signing/drafting defensemens, after he is gone we might see a change in the defense ways.

Our defense needs a shakeup/overhaul. They've proven that they break down far too frequently and when it matters most. I think your untouchables are Hamhuis and Garrison. That's it. Personally, I'd be really reluctant to move Bieksa too, because I think when he's playing well he's outstanding in all areas and you like having that meanness he can bring. But, if the return is worth it - then maybe you do move him. I think Edler needs to go...he brings back the most value and he just can't seem to meet that potential we always say he has.

So I don't really think our defense is set at all. Who knows, maybe it's just a new coach that can invigorate them - but they've no longer earned the right to be givens on the teams blue line anymore.

Doesn't matter who we've had on D, whether it was Mitchell, Salo, or Ehrhoff, the D has always had meltdowns.

The one constant variable has been Rick Bowness. He needs to go along with AV. We put too much money in our D for it to struggle that much. I think a proven defensive coach could do wonders for our D core.

Doesn't matter who we've had on D, whether it was Mitchell, Salo, or Ehrhoff, the D has always had meltdowns.

The one constant variable has been Rick Bowness. He needs to go along with AV. We put too much money in our D for it to struggle that much. I think a proven defensive coach could do wonders for our D core.

The more I think about it, I could see a real possibility that Tömmernes can squeeze in for some games next year. He has a great shot and he is very smart with using it. He knows when to shoot hard and when to put in a soft one on goal but most importantly he can read the game very very well. He makes great outlet passes something that we desperately need and he makes smart plays in the offensive zone.

I might be praising this kid too much but when I have watched him play for frölunda this year i have been thoroughly impressed. The WHC invite wasn't uncalled for. Great season, we got a great defensemen in this guy.

A mobile, offensively skilled defenseman, Tömmernes is a very good skater and playmaker from the back end. Has terrific hockey sense, so his defensive game is solid as well. Often gets his point shots through the traffic in front of the net.

Archived