The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Empty Seats a Reality

sosunnyhere

There is definite disapointment in the Canucks faithful and i see a great deal of empty seats next year and the brilliant sell-out streak coming to an end. A real consideration on the part of myself and the friend i split season tickets with to just pick and choose the few teams we want to see. Interestingly our discussion on the tickets revolved around which teams we wanted to see play the Canucks instead of what it usually is ( teams that will be the best matchup against the Canucks). We like many fans believe that a decline in the works. With Laurence Gilman pretty much saying on 1040 that we are not going to change the core, it seems tickets will be plentiful. Boy their marketing better work real hard.

There is definite disapointment in the Canucks faithful and i see a great deal of empty seats next year and the brilliant sell-out streak coming to an end. A real consideration on the part of myself and the friend i split season tickets with to just pick and choose the few teams we want to see. Interestingly our discussion on the tickets revolved around which teams we wanted to see play the Canucks instead of what it usually is ( teams that will be the best matchup against the Canucks). We like many fans believe that a decline in the works. With Laurence Gilman pretty much saying on 1040 that we are not going to change the core, it seems tickets will be plentiful. Boy their marketing better work real hard.

Maybe the sun is in your eyes.

As much as it is a solid concerted image of discontent, people are still going to be drinking the Kool-aid that we Canucks fans accuse Leaf fans of doing in the 90's.

These past two seasons have been the worst. I can't remember seeing a team being this content with mediocrity.

Even if some of the fans are disappointed with management, going to a canucks game is a status symbol event in vancouver. There are tons of businesses that use season tickets to give to clients or workers. Also, visitors to vancouver are likely to want to see a game regardless of how the team is doing

Lots of people still haven't and wish to watch a Canucks game in person. I'm not worried about empty seats as long as the team remains competitive.

Also, businesses like mine, just give tickets to clients, workers, relatives, etc. when we can't or don't want to watch the game.

Even if some of the fans are disappointed with management, going to a canucks game is a status symbol event in vancouver. There are tons of businesses that use season tickets to give to clients or workers. Also, visitors to vancouver are likely to want to see a game regardless of how the team is doing

You got it, I have half seasons tickets but last year I was given more tickets then I ever have before.

Sat in the CTV, Rogers box 2 times each, also got regular seats from 2 other business I can't remember ( My girlfriend gets them through her work). I end up selling my tickets if I have them to those games and most I can get is par, never over and above. The average fans aren't buying as much as they used to, that's for sure.

The sellout streak is totally artificial anyway. they just buy up the tickets themselves when it's about to get broken. i don't think you'll see many empty seats. but hey, maybe if they find themselves forced to lower ticket prices, the bandwagoner suits will leave and the rain or shine fans will be able to afford tickets

Technically as soon as the Canucks had to start buying tickets to the playoffs games this past season and go around handing them out it ended the the streak in my opinion or at least tainted it.

And with word that there going to up the prices again im thinking sooner or later theres going to be more backlash as there starting to price them selfs out of the market unless they can drum up some excitement this off season

Well, after 15 years as an ice pack holder, my wife and I just cancelled. Take it for what it's worth, though. We live in Abbotsford, and are just about to have our second kid.

But, the reality is that ice packs are all but unaffordable for young families like mine, especially when you are forced to buy a terrible pre-season game and a handful of other awful games like Nashville, Phoenix, Columbus, etc, etc.

I am not naive enough to think that me cancelling my tickets will have any kind of serious impact, but, rest assured, if the team continues to trend in the wrong direction, others will follow suit. Rising ticket prices+ poor quality hockey+ an underachieving team will eventually lead to some sort of backlash.

For those that disagree with the OP, how many games have you been to this season?

I was having a pretty good conversation with a prominent media member and he was commenting on how many empty seats he saw this season. He literally said he saw about 1500 empty seats in a few games this season (Minnesota, etc)

The problem in Vancouver is, many of the season tickets belong to scalpers whose only sole purpose is to resell the tickets.

The Canucks on ice product has been going down, the fans have been spoiled with great regular seasons so anything less is unacceptable. There has been MANY empty seats to the crappier games this season because the market is FLOODED with resell seats. Mix in the poor past 2 playoff performances , raise in ticket prices next year when the cap is infact going down makes no sense for the season ticket holders.

Faithful fans like myself who have been on the waitlist have removed themselves off the waitlist (at a loss of the deposit plus the $50 yearly fee).

Season ticket holders that buy tickets to leverage the games they watch by selling the other games have found themselves in a tough situation as they have not been able to sell the games they are not going to watch.

The fact that they "leaked" a 50% off code for the 1st 2 playoff games shows how bad the situation really is.

My guess is that the smart scalpers will not renew their seats as they cannot make money any longer. The regular overpriced price of tickets decided by management is "essentially" the scalped price and there really isnt much margin left for the scalpers.

The ordinary Joes that buy the season tix planning to sell some of it to offset the cost took a hit this year and many will not renew.

Season ticket holders that paid FULL price for the playoff games were enraged by the 50% discount code that non season ticket holders took advantage of.

The sell out streak is NOT looking good.

Archived