#1 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,332 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 03:55 PM

POPULAR

The past 3-5 years have given us comedy gold with misinformed opinions about Alain Vigneault and his coaching style/techniques.

So as a preemptive strike...i present to you a pretty good 3 part video (in different stages of the 48 game season) about John Tortorella and coaching, his methods, philosophies, opinions, commentaries about the game and various players on the NYR. In part 2 and 3, you will see, and yes, wait for it...Mike Keenan join in on the interviews.

Lots to discuss. I certainly enjoyed the peek inside his coaching head.

2sa1qgh.jpg

The Canucks Playoff preparation

#2 Canouver

Canouver

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:34 PM

It seems he hates talking just after a game. Maybe the press conferences should be held the following day to let him cool down a bit.

#3 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,332 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:38 PM

It seems he hates talking just after a game. Maybe the press conferences should be held the following day to let him cool down a bit.

Indeed. Both him and Keenan remarked that your head is still in the game. And giving interviews 10 minutes afterwards is not fun.

If that was the case the Rangers PR guy should have insisted on a 20 minute cool down before players and coaches are interviewed.

2sa1qgh.jpg

#4 aqua59

aqua59

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,156 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:39 PM

It's his relationship with the press, past that he gets respect.

#5 BedBeats™2.0

BedBeats™2.0

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,332 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:41 PM

It's his relationship with the press, past that he gets respect.

Watch the videos.

2sa1qgh.jpg

#6 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,063 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:48 PM

What I take from those interviews is that Hansen will be playing 17-20 minutes a game.

Kesler and Burrows will play 25+ minutes.

He likes hard workers.

Edited by DeNiro, 23 June 2013 - 04:52 PM.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#7 CB007

CB007

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,661 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 04:50 PM

What I take from those intervies is that Hansen will be playing 17-20 minutes a game.

He likes hard workers.

Dude we totally need some hard working bottom 6 players to offset these additional minutes our stars are forced to get!
Posted Image

#8 Legend Killer

Legend Killer

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,208 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:04 PM

What I take from those interviews is that Hansen will be playing 17-20 minutes a game.

He likes hard workers.

I think Tortorella could make Kassian's career, with the right motivation... haha
Posted Image
For the first time in a long time.. the future looks bright..

#9 Edlerberry

Edlerberry

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:56 PM

POPULAR

1min 20 secs in "go through maybe a process"

NO WONDER he got hired.
July 7-2013

Toronto will take a step back next year.
Feel free to quote me.

July 8-2013

Wow I can't believe peoples replies...
Im done here. You people are disgusting..

#10 SergioMomesso

SergioMomesso

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:57 PM

At least he will have the guts to plant Edler on the bench after his 3rd or 4th blunder on any given night.
jersey collection.jpg

#11 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,587 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:16 PM

He seems like a really detail oriented coach.

zackass.png

#12 John Tortorella

John Tortorella

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:10 PM

POPULAR

People should stop worrying. I've won a cup you know!
"Oh, and torts is an amazing coach, a father figure type
Ex: yells at you motivates you, but tells you you're amazing and keep it up when you succeed, not AV, the guy that barely talked to his players
Torts will destroy the media hype and all the pressure they put on the players" Shredder 09:23 PM Friday July 5th

#13 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,149 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:14 PM

It is not his coaching skills that are his undoing.
The man is a freaking slime ball wrapped up in an idiot.

#14 stexx

stexx

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:31 PM

yeah judge a man by his interactions with the slimeball and idiot media great idea. If we judged Kesler the same way we would be saying the same things about him. A lot of media people are complete slimeballs and larry brooks is the cream of the crop. Look no further than Brooks's wade redden comments after his fight sticking up for his teammate now that is a slimeball by definition.

It is funny how a lot of players that played for torts and people that know him personally seem to really like the guy but people who dont know him who judge him from the outside hate his guts. strange coincidence no?

Edited by stexx, 23 June 2013 - 09:32 PM.

#15 Barry_Wilkins

Barry_Wilkins

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:53 PM

Thanks BedBeats for the links.

I just had time to watch the first one. My dislike for Tortorella, as coach, is unchanged, though consolidated.

He gave a mini-video analysis on neutral zone defense that criticized Gaborik. But coaches have to flexible. And despite Tortorella's constant defense of himself as a "flexible" guy who "listens" to his players, it's up to the coach to adjust his approach, at least somewhat, to the specific talents of his players. As a good comparable, Vigneault let the Sedins do pretty much what they wanted offensively. A more flexible coach, in that particular instance, would have noted Gaborik's much greater asset as an offensive forward, by pairing him with an opposite side winger who could cover for those neutral zone plays. In that speciafic case, it means that the greater responsibility would have been on that other forward to pre-emptively backcheck so that it would have been a common 2 on 2 rather than the much better scoring chance it turned out to be.

Second point -- again, despite Tortorella's self-praise, it took several games -- every game vitally important in the lockout-shortened season, according to Tortorella himself -- to listen to the players tell him that the practises were wearing them out during the games themselves. A truly observant, flexible coach would have sensed that long before the poor efforts on the ice had piled up.

P.S. The great defensive coach, Jacques Lemaire, sure didn't have trouble incorporating Gaborik into his defense-first system.

Edited by Barry_Wilkins, 23 June 2013 - 10:06 PM.

#16 SergioMomesso

SergioMomesso

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:57 PM

Thanks BedBeats for the links.

I just had time to watch the first one. My dislike for Tortorella, as coach, is unchanged, though consolidated.

He gave a mini-video analysis on neutral zone defense that criticized Gaborik. But coaches have to flexible. And despite Tortorella's constant defense of himself as a "flexible" guy who "listens" to his players, it's up to the coach to adjust his approach, at least somewhat, to the specific talents of his players. As a good comparable, Vigneault let the Sedins do pretty much what they wanted offensively. A more flexible coach, in that particular instance, would have noted Gaborik's much greater asset as an offensive forward, by pairing him with an opposite side winger who could cover for those neutral zone plays. In that speciafic case, it means that the greater responsibility would have been on that other forward to pre-emptively backcheck so that it would have been a common 2 on 2 rather than the much better scoring chance it turned out to be.

Second point -- again, despite Tortorella's self-praise, it took several games -- every game vitally important in the lockout-shortened season, according to Tortorella himself -- to listen to the players tell him that the practises were wearing them out during the games themselves. A truly observant, flexible coach would have sensed that long before the poor efforts on the ice had piled up.

P.S. The great defensive coach, Jacques Lemaire, sure didn't have trouble incorporating Gaborik into his defense-first system.

And where did that get the Wild? One post season birth in 10 years. Albeit it was a good one.
jersey collection.jpg

#17 Barry_Wilkins

Barry_Wilkins

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:30 AM

And where did that get the Wild? One post season birth in 10 years. Albeit it was a good one.

You don't know the playoff record of Jacques Lemaire? He wrote the book on defense first hockey, and single-handedly changed the way the game is played, even today.

It all started with the '95 Devils. His Stanley Cup win with that talent-challenged team opened everybody's eyes. His top-scoring forward that year was a non-entity. (Hint: he's the Jack Adams award winner this year.)

Beyond that, my point should have been obvious. If a defense-first coach like Lemaire, a guy who preached D, D, D to what some would consider a fault, could let the reins out, when appropriate, for Gaborik, why couldn't the "flexible" Tortorella? I'll answer that. Because Tortorella is an unsophisticated coach who preaches ironclad systems no matter who the players are, and who can't even tell when players are exhausted (which the first video makes plain), so uni-focused is he on having the players "work hard". Working hard is a given. Working smarter is more important.

#18 cmpunk

cmpunk

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,051 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:36 AM

Posted Image
Credit to Vintage Canuck

#19 wallstreetamigo

wallstreetamigo

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,754 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:09 AM

You don't know the playoff record of Jacques Lemaire? He wrote the book on defense first hockey, and single-handedly changed the way the game is played, even today.

It all started with the '95 Devils. His Stanley Cup win with that talent-challenged team opened everybody's eyes. His top-scoring forward that year was a non-entity. (Hint: he's the Jack Adams award winner this year.)

Beyond that, my point should have been obvious. If a defense-first coach like Lemaire, a guy who preached D, D, D to what some would consider a fault, could let the reins out, when appropriate, for Gaborik, why couldn't the "flexible" Tortorella? I'll answer that. Because Tortorella is an unsophisticated coach who preaches ironclad systems no matter who the players are, and who can't even tell when players are exhausted (which the first video makes plain), so uni-focused is he on having the players "work hard". Working hard is a given. Working smarter is more important.

To be fair, Gaborik floated a lot too so it was not all one sided.

I would disagree that Tortorella is unsophisticated as a coach. He actually looks to be very detail oriented in how he sees and coaches the game. Even if that were true though, perhaps a more simplistic, back to basics of working hard all the time, developing the right approach and habits, and building accountability throughout the team are EXACTLY what this team needs from a coach at this point in time. The half-assed effort of this team in most games this season suggests this to be true.

One common thing you hear about Torts is that every player knows where they stand at all times and you can tell by his comments in these videos about individual players that he does not give up on them or permanently park them in the doghouse the way AV does when they do not "get it" right away or they struggle. How many times does he say how they are still kids and have a lot to learn? How many times did we hear players say they did not know what was expected of them with AV? Or that they never really talked to the coaching staff about what they needed to do? With Torts, they will be talking about it every day and he does that to help them improve.

Look at the presser where he talks about benching Richards. He defends Richards to the end of the earth and makes it about him and his decisions, not blaming the player. I know i will enjoy seeing that kind of clarity in Vancouver. There is not a player out there who would not appreciate that instead of having their coach laugh when someone says they are playing well or refusing to give any reasoning behind a decision he makes while letting the media speculate and trash the player.

Torts HATES giving the media info. He admits as much. But in a situation where he feels like the media will take what he has done and use it to pile on a player, he seems to go into defensive mode and protects the player from that by taking on the scrutiny himself.

My one hope is that while they can ask him to tone down the media stuff I hope Vancouver does not try to change Tortorella as a coach. He is the right guy. I honestly think even though he is a hard ass he is 10x the players coach that AV is. Vigneault simply let them do what they wanted to do and run things themselves. That would make him popular for sure, but does not really help them get better. That is a big reason this team has not been able to move forward the last few years.

#20 VanIsleNuckFan

VanIsleNuckFan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:30 AM

You were trying to be eloquent in the other threads, but I see you have brought yourself from commenting on the "truculence" of torts to this above statement.... Witness the degradation of the wit of Nuck Nit....

Your opinion is one thing, spamming the boards with it is another....

#21 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Banned
  • 9,149 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:43 AM

Guess what? I don't care what you think or say about me when you attack me.
Torts is not the type of leader that commands respect.
He intimidates with terror tactics and bullying and his demeanour is repulsive.
This guy is a gong show and any franchise that signs him up damages their organisation.

Edited by nuck nit, 24 June 2013 - 09:55 AM.

#22 DarthNinja

DarthNinja

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,971 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:43 AM

Not to mention that he can be fun and playful with the media as well...

**RETIRED...**

"Have not those who disbelieve known that the heavens & the earth were joined together as one united piece, then We (Allah) parted them? And We have made from water every living thing. Will they not then believe?" (Qur'an 21:30)

Sig too big, images removed. - SN

"Some even believe we are part of a secret cabal working against the best interests of the United States, characterizing my family and me as 'internationalists' and of conspiring with others around the world to build a more integrated global political and economic structure--one world, if you will. If that's the charge, I stand guilty, and I am proud of it.” (David Rockefeller)

#23 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Banned
  • 9,149 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:45 AM

Every sports announcer on TSN that has commented on a possible Vancouver hire of Torts said they would not hire him.
Torts could get away with his crap in NY as the Rangers don't register on the sports hierarchy but in a market where hockey can be 'front page news' a Torts hire would a disaster waiting to unfold.

Edited by nuck nit, 24 June 2013 - 10:02 AM.

#24 DarthNinja

DarthNinja

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,971 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:51 AM

Every sports announcer on TSN that has commented on a possible Vancouver hire of Torts said they would not hire him.

That's because they care about their own comfort levels and they don't own hockey clubs.

Edited by DarthNinja, 24 June 2013 - 10:03 AM.

**RETIRED...**

"Have not those who disbelieve known that the heavens & the earth were joined together as one united piece, then We (Allah) parted them? And We have made from water every living thing. Will they not then believe?" (Qur'an 21:30)

"Some even believe we are part of a secret cabal working against the best interests of the United States, characterizing my family and me as 'internationalists' and of conspiring with others around the world to build a more integrated global political and economic structure--one world, if you will. If that's the charge, I stand guilty, and I am proud of it.” (David Rockefeller)

#25 DarthNinja

DarthNinja

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,971 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:08 AM

Guess what? I don't care what you think or say about me when you attack me.
Torts is not the type of leader that commands respect.
He intimidates with terror tactics and bullying and his demeanour is repulsive.
This guy is a gong show and any franchise that signs him up damages their organisation.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uF8gZLCG1U4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-DJU9YyxzY

The ref seemed more out of control than Torts in that video.

Anyways, Torts dropped like 8 f-bombs walks away.

AV gets a penalty for saying "that's an elbow"...

**RETIRED...**

#26 DarthNinja

DarthNinja

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,971 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:09 AM

1min 20 secs in "go through maybe a process"

NO WONDER he got hired.

:rolleyes: If you listened a little further you would hear him talk about how sometimes you need to do away with the process...

**RETIRED...**

#27 FlyLow_

FlyLow_

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:12 AM

At least he will have the guts to plant Edler on the bench after his 3rd or 4th blunder on any given night.

And Bieksa.

#28 Tangerines

Tangerines

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,489 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:32 AM

At first I was skeptical, but now I feel like I'm warming up to him.

#29 Amish Rake Fighter

Amish Rake Fighter

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,986 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:42 AM

Psychological projection was conceptualized by Sigmund Freud in the 1890s as a defence mechanism in which a person unconsciously rejects his or her own unacceptable attributes by ascribing them to objects or persons in the outside world.[1]

qrC4ALSTG9AZO.gif

#30 Blackberries

Blackberries

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,567 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 10:45 AM

this

OXwjSoG.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.