The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Behind The Bench w. John Tortorella

BedBeats™2.0

The past 3-5 years have given us comedy gold with misinformed opinions about Alain Vigneault and his coaching style/techniques.

So as a preemptive strike...i present to you a pretty good 3 part video (in different stages of the 48 game season) about John Tortorella and coaching, his methods, philosophies, opinions, commentaries about the game and various players on the NYR. In part 2 and 3, you will see, and yes, wait for it...Mike Keenan join in on the interviews.

Lots to discuss. I certainly enjoyed the peek inside his coaching head.

Thanks BedBeats for the links.

I just had time to watch the first one. My dislike for Tortorella, as coach, is unchanged, though consolidated.

He gave a mini-video analysis on neutral zone defense that criticized Gaborik. But coaches have to flexible. And despite Tortorella's constant defense of himself as a "flexible" guy who "listens" to his players, it's up to the coach to adjust his approach, at least somewhat, to the specific talents of his players. As a good comparable, Vigneault let the Sedins do pretty much what they wanted offensively. A more flexible coach, in that particular instance, would have noted Gaborik's much greater asset as an offensive forward, by pairing him with an opposite side winger who could cover for those neutral zone plays. In that speciafic case, it means that the greater responsibility would have been on that other forward to pre-emptively backcheck so that it would have been a common 2 on 2 rather than the much better scoring chance it turned out to be.

Second point -- again, despite Tortorella's self-praise, it took several games -- every game vitally important in the lockout-shortened season, according to Tortorella himself -- to listen to the players tell him that the practises were wearing them out during the games themselves. A truly observant, flexible coach would have sensed that long before the poor efforts on the ice had piled up.

P.S. The great defensive coach, Jacques Lemaire, sure didn't have trouble incorporating Gaborik into his defense-first system.

Thanks BedBeats for the links.

I just had time to watch the first one. My dislike for Tortorella, as coach, is unchanged, though consolidated.

He gave a mini-video analysis on neutral zone defense that criticized Gaborik. But coaches have to flexible. And despite Tortorella's constant defense of himself as a "flexible" guy who "listens" to his players, it's up to the coach to adjust his approach, at least somewhat, to the specific talents of his players. As a good comparable, Vigneault let the Sedins do pretty much what they wanted offensively. A more flexible coach, in that particular instance, would have noted Gaborik's much greater asset as an offensive forward, by pairing him with an opposite side winger who could cover for those neutral zone plays. In that speciafic case, it means that the greater responsibility would have been on that other forward to pre-emptively backcheck so that it would have been a common 2 on 2 rather than the much better scoring chance it turned out to be.

Second point -- again, despite Tortorella's self-praise, it took several games -- every game vitally important in the lockout-shortened season, according to Tortorella himself -- to listen to the players tell him that the practises were wearing them out during the games themselves. A truly observant, flexible coach would have sensed that long before the poor efforts on the ice had piled up.

P.S. The great defensive coach, Jacques Lemaire, sure didn't have trouble incorporating Gaborik into his defense-first system.

You don't know the playoff record of Jacques Lemaire? He wrote the book on defense first hockey, and single-handedly changed the way the game is played, even today.

It all started with the '95 Devils. His Stanley Cup win with that talent-challenged team opened everybody's eyes. His top-scoring forward that year was a non-entity. (Hint: he's the Jack Adams award winner this year.)

Beyond that, my point should have been obvious. If a defense-first coach like Lemaire, a guy who preached D, D, D to what some would consider a fault, could let the reins out, when appropriate, for Gaborik, why couldn't the "flexible" Tortorella? I'll answer that. Because Tortorella is an unsophisticated coach who preaches ironclad systems no matter who the players are, and who can't even tell when players are exhausted (which the first video makes plain), so uni-focused is he on having the players "work hard". Working hard is a given. Working smarter is more important.

Archived