The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks NOT Expected to be Active in Free Agency - Raymond, Lapierre, Alberts Likely Gone Too

It'd suck to lose Lappy and Alberts, but if we're doing this to try and gain back rapport from refs, it's stupid. Refs will always hate us because we still have Burrows, Kesler, and Bieksa. Even if we lose Lappy, it won't change how the refs and other fanbases view us. I'd rather keep Lappy.

I wish Alberts would stay too because he manages to not be a liability when he has to come in after not playing for weeks

It's on a hope and a prayer that the kids will step up and get the job done. Did you notice the comment by Gillis a couple of weeks ago that, we can no longer afford to "cook" our prospects in the minors? Meaning he intends to throw them in the pool and hope they can swim. So, what happens if it doesn't work? I'm thinking that plan B is to run screaming for the exits.

In before someone mentions you use hindsight to talk about people using hindsight. :P

But in general I agree. We're in the same boat as all the other cap ceiling teams and we'll get by on the players we have that are some of the best in their positions in the league. Sedins, Kesler, Hansen, Hamhuis and Garrison should be obvious as very, very good for the roles they play, and Burrows, Higgins, Lapierre Edler, Bieksa and Tanev aren't half bad either.

If our youth steps in and contributes on top of those existing players - which any number of people have been saying is necessary to win a cup in this day and age - then we'll do better than just all right, we'll do really well.

And I don't know why people are talking about our 4th line center's offensive output in his first 13 games as a pro when he was used very effectively as a shutdown center in key situations almost immediately upon joining the Wolves.

When I consider a 4th line center, I want a few things from him. He'd have to be defensively responsible, hopefully good at faceoffs, and able to bring physicality and energy against other team's better players. Lain has those qualities, but if you're relying on him to come in at 5-10 minutes a night and score 20-30 points next season then you're bound to be disappointed.

It remains to be seen if he's the best option, but he shouldn't be discounted so quickly.

I'm not a big fan of Sestito or Weise, particularly with the bulk of players that are going to be on the market - I'd have taken the risk of them walking and waited for free agency - would much rather have added one or two of Halpern, Hendricks, Steckel, Lappy, for the fourth line, with a second center playing wing.

That being said, those kind of commitments get waived all the time, so nothing is written in stone there.

I'm not that wowed by the free agent market - a lot of guys I wouldn't pay asking price for even if the cap space was there.

I think the best options aren't the names - they are the mid range players and depth centers, guys like Macarthur who are being lost in the hype of other names, and Gordon (I think it's imperative the Canucks add at least one of those centers to the mix).

There's an awful lot of 20/20 hindsight in this thread.

The list of "overpaid" guys who have "too long" contracts with NTCs, is case in point. When those deals were signed, that's what the market determined. In fact, it's fairly well documented that many of those guys took less than what they could have gotten on the open market.

No-one had a crystal ball and knew that the new CBA would result in a drop in the salary Cap. That's why the Canucks, along with a whole slew of other NHL teams are having to shed salary, just to make it under the Cap.

In a Cap constricted league, a couple of things happen: The top end guys still get their money. Letang got paid, and it looks like Giroux is about to as well. It's the guys in the middle, with the 3-5 million expiring contracts who feel the crunch.

If people think back to the first lockout, there were a lot of veteran guys who weren't offered contracts, because the consensus was they'd be too expensive for a Cap world.

It bacame more common for young guys to step in earlier and make a contribution to the big club, because for better or worse, they had to play, due to their low Cap hits.

Now we're seeing it all over again. Guys making a couple mil like Raymond, will likely find work somewhere else with a team that has Cap room. Guys like Ballard will have to take less if they want a shot with another team.

It's all well and good to sit back and criticize because Canucks' management didn't anticipate the Cap dropping with the new CBA, but I was around when all of these contracts were signed and the vast majority of posts were positive. Most were glad that Gillis was able to sign guys like the Sedins, Bieksa, Hamhuis, Garrison and Edler at what most people understood was less than they could have commanded on the open market.

Stop talking like you knew better. You didn't. You're just looking for an excuse to complain.

This is all true but isn't there some merit in not painting yourself in a corner, even though you think you have everything covered? There is a reason why people leave themselves something for a rainy day.

Well it's here and we didn't pack the umbrella so enjoy the shower.

I said this in another thread but I'll say it again:

We currently have $7,497,222 in cap space. Trade Booth as a cap dump to a team with a good amount of cap space and we'll have $11,747,222, add in Tanev's $2 million and Weise's $750K as suggested and sign Lappy for $1.5 million a year and we're left with the exact same amount we currently have. Plenty of room to sign a guy like Horton, Iginla, or Clowe.

As much as Tanev has come a long way in terms of development, he is not worth $ 2 million or more per season for what he provides as also a bottom pairing defenseman for the most part.

I am a fan of his poise and his game, but let's not forget we have a top four, a bottom pairing defender shouldn't be 2m+ per season lol.

This is all true but isn't there some merit in not painting yourself into a corner even though you think you have everything covered? There is a reason why people leave themselves something for a rainy day.

Well it's here and we didn't pack the umbrella so enjoy the shower.

Why we keep the same fourth line at the same price it will likely cost to try other options is a mystery. It's not like we've had anything resembling a fourth line the last couple years.

I like Alberts - he has improved steadily in his time here - but I think he may have grown out of the 7th spot - he's probably not wanting to sign for less than the 1.25 he has been making, and he might not be thrilled with the prospect of remaining in the 7 spot when in all likelihood he could pick a team where he could crack a top 6 spot elsewhere.

I'd love to have him back, but at the same time, there are probably cheaper depth options going to be available - I like the idea of snatching Blum from Nashville who are apparently not going to qualify him - there are guys like Hal Gill being bought out, Hannan and Sulzer are on UFA market, guys who probably won't go for more than a million... It's always a bit of a crap shoot, but Blum is apparently indicating a desire to come here.

There are also some good depth centers to pursue - the 3 and 4 center spots are probably the priority at this point.

And I don't know why people are talking about our 4th line center's offensive output in his first 13 games as a pro when he was used very effectively as a shutdown center in key situations almost immediately upon joining the Wolves.

When I consider a 4th line center, I want a few things from him. He'd have to be defensively responsible, hopefully good at faceoffs, and able to bring physicality and energy against other team's better players. Lain has those qualities, but if you're relying on him to come in at 5-10 minutes a night and score 20-30 points next season then you're bound to be disappointed.

It remains to be seen if he's the best option, but he shouldn't be discounted so quickly.

Archived