The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ryan O' Byrne

Lipschitz

by now canuck fans honestly stop keeping hope in Gm gillis

this guy wont do anything look at the joker moves he made so far

lol unknown names even the 4th line guys could of got a solid guy like boyd gordon but did he?

nope i have lost hope in gillis you guys are dreaming

How am I contradicting myself, Gordon is not a top 6 player. Gordon is a 3rd line center, not worth 3 mil a season. Which is why we didn't get him, I want a top 6 forward for around the same price- perhaps a little more expensive, up to 4 mil. We could of afforded Gordon at 3 mil, we have 5,697,222 in cap space. (According to capgeek.com) Probably less now that buddy signed Santorelli, then we re-sign Tanev for a little over a mil and that should leave us with around 3.5 mil. If we didn't sign Santorelli we probably could have got a top six forward like Dustin Penner, Brad Boyes, someone who will actually do something on the ice. We still can, but instead Gillis will waste our time signing all these crappy depth players that will do absolutely nothing for us but allow the other team to score goals on us. :rolleyes:

EDIT: And while we're on the subject, Steckel is one of those "crappy" depth players, but at least he's better than Santorelli. He can win some faceoffs for us and kill some penalties, MG is ruining this team. I used to defend him, but I'm sick of this damn guy.. If he does nothing again (Which is what he seems to be good at) I'll be one of those annoying a** Fire MG guys, I hate those guys... But I completely understand now. We need a new GM, bottom line buds.

Mike Gillis has been fairly quiet on the trade and signing front in comparison to other GM's around the league. While it is the best strategy not to overpay for players, such as Clarkson (grossly overrated), I believe that the Canucks should look at signing Ryan O' Byrne.

He is the defenseman this team needs at this juncture. He is huge, shoots right, and is a monster of a shutdown defenseman. His lack of consistency is no worse than Edlers. And yes, Edler has a huge amount of offensive potential. But O' Byrne is willing to lay out the likes of Chara

His cap hit is around $2 M, but could be negotiated based on a couple of lackluster seasons. As much as I like Tanev's passing ability, he has very little physical presence. And that is what this defense needs to go deep into the playoffs. Punishing players that enter our zone.

I hope that Gillis looks long and hard at O' Byrne. The Canucks need to play a much more gritty defensive style. Adding someone with his size, fearlessness, and grit would be perfect when playing teams like Boston, St. Louis, and LA.

Thoughts?

Lipschitz out.

Sure, we have some cap space, but remind me again how many players we have signed and still need to sign to ice a full roster? Nevermind, I'll do it for you so we don't have to do this dance again when my point passes through the air above your head.

• $5.147M in cap space (latest on CapGeek)

• 11 forwards signed, need 2 more

• 6 defence signed, need 2 more (one of which is Tanev)

• 2 goalies signed, we're fine there.

So we have $5.15M in cap space to sign 4 more players. If one of those players was Gordon, we'd have $2.15M left to sign 3 players. Or, if one of them was a top 6 forward (who, by the way seem to be going for closer to or above $5M so far) then we'd have $1.15M-150K left to sign 3 players.

Remember, Tanev is one of those players still needing to be signed, and he'll get more than just over a million, my guess is around $1.5M, so that'd leave us with either $650K in cap space by the first example or over the cap by $350K-1.15M by the second and still needing to sign 2 more players to ice a 23 man roster.

Good luck with that.

O' Byrne would be just what this team needs going forward. I haven't heard his name being thrown around lately, so hopefully Gillis looks at him and sees his ability to:

• deter players crashing Luongo's crease

• hit like a freight train

• score a goal once in a while

Although there always is July 25th when a similar sized defenseman from BC becomes available for a trade, at a much, much higher price.

A fan can dream.

Brings exactly what this tam needs more of, and grew up cheering for the Canucks. The team still needs at least on more depth guy, preferably 2, because last year was an aberration with our D staying mostly healthy.

We're actually going to be short on LEFT handed shots pretty quick!

Brings exactly what this tam needs more of, and grew up cheering for the Canucks. The team still needs at least on more depth guy, preferably 2, because last year was an aberration with our D staying mostly healthy.

We're actually going to be short on LEFT handed shots pretty quick!

I"m giving gillis the next season because the real cancer was AV. No more excuses for MG, but he still has rope and you are no GM.

May I point out no one knows what goes on behind closed doors. Maybe Gillis has kept his job because some one else told him what to do. An owner who is involved does things like that. But that's just specualtion, for I truly don't know.

Nor do you:)

This crossed my mind before free agency started. I would love to have a hulking 5-6 dman on the team opposed to 2 smaller guys who just make "smart plays". From my POV, either Corrado or Tanev have to go. Maybe packaged with Booth when he is healthy, for a better top 6 forward. At least Corrado hits guys and has room to get alot better! So will Tanev, but he's a kitten. If we wanna see a stiffer team this season and if JT wants to see a stiffer team this season, then Tanev will absolutely drive him crazy if he continues to not throw hits!!!

And by smaller guys, I mean guys that haven't filled out.

Also take note of the signings. Yannik Weber and Mike Santorelli, less than the waiver cap, so they can be sent to the minors with the team holding none of their cap when they are gone. Say...if a certain prospect or two make the team?

This crossed my mind before free agency started. I would love to have a hulking 5-6 dman on the team opposed to 2 smaller guys who just make "smart plays". From my POV, either Corrado or Tanev have to go. Maybe packaged with Booth when he is healthy, for a better top 6 forward. At least Corrado hits guys and has room to get alot better! So will Tanev, but he's a kitten. If we wanna see a stiffer team this season and if JT wants to see a stiffer team this season, then Tanev will absolutely drive him crazy if he continues to not throw hits!!!

And by smaller guys, I mean guys that haven't filled out.

Also take note of the signings. Yannik Weber and Mike Santorelli, less than the waiver cap, so they can be sent to the minors with the team holding none of their cap when they are gone. Say...if a certain prospect or two make the team?

I agree with your pov as well. Its something we're lacking with Alberts if he leaves, i still hope he re-signs. Our d looks pretty soft and going into a bigger, tougher division i think we need that type on the back end. I'd like to see a tough LD and RD signed for under a million or just over. For LD Alberts, Fristric or even Murray and RD O'Bryne (i cant think of any others at the moment). They may have their faults with not producing offense or slower foot speed but for a 5th, 6th or 7th and cheap i'd take a chance. It's something the core is lacking and who knows what Torts and Sullivan can do or get out of them.

I'd also like to see Corrado play on the Comets and get first pair mins.

Mike Gillis has been fairly quiet on the trade and signing front in comparison to other GM's around the league. While it is the best strategy not to overpay for players, such as Clarkson (grossly overrated), I believe that the Canucks should look at signing Ryan O' Byrne.

He is the defenseman this team needs at this juncture. He is huge, shoots right, and is a monster of a shutdown defenseman. His lack of consistency is no worse than Edlers. And yes, Edler has a huge amount of offensive potential. But O' Byrne is willing to lay out the likes of Chara

His cap hit is around $2 M, but could be negotiated based on a couple of lackluster seasons. As much as I like Tanev's passing ability, he has very little physical presence. And that is what this defense needs to go deep into the playoffs. Punishing players that enter our zone.

I hope that Gillis looks long and hard at O' Byrne. The Canucks need to play a much more gritty defensive style. Adding someone with his size, fearlessness, and grit would be perfect when playing teams like Boston, St. Louis, and LA.

Thoughts?

Lipschitz out.

Archived