• Announcements

• StealthNuck

Forum-specific Rules   07/11/2017

These are board specific rules for the Trades and Rumors forum designed to provide organization and a better experience for everyone. Please review these rules before posting new threads. 
        THREAD ETIQUETTE   1. Please search for an existing thread before posting. This forum can be very fast moving, so it's understandable if redundant threads are inadvertently posted. In such a case, please use the report feature to request removal of redundant threads.    2. Provide a clearly identifiable topic title so that users can readily understand the content. The title should include any and all teams involved, as well as player names or other personnel involved as appropriate.   3. All trades, signings, rumors and other news MUST include a linkable source. Simply posting the name of the source is not enough. Effort should also be made to copy and paste the full article, or at the very least the relevant portion of text from the source to the first post of the thread. Moderators may remove low-quality threads in favour of high-quality threads. 

Affixed to the front of your title should be a label that identifies the type of transaction that is taking place. For all trades use [TRADE]. For all signings use [SIGNING]. For all waiver-wire transactions use [WAIVERS]. For all rumours use [RUMOUR].
      For articles or news items that don't fit into the above categories, affix an appropriate label of your choice such as [NEWS], [ARTICLE] or [MISC].   4. When the status of a thread changes a new thread can be created. The new thread should reflect the change and help focus the discussion on current events. e.g. Someone may create a new thread when a rumor becomes a trades. The old thread will be locked by the moderating team.    5. Do not misrepresent the contents of your thread or post false trades or rumors. Trolling will result in a permanent suspension. 

SOURCES   The following source types are considered INVALID. Any links to posts or threads on other message boards Any links to personal blogs Any news heard on the radio that does not have a link to an audio vault or podcast Any news seen on television that does not have a link to online video Any news spread by word of mouth
      Additionally, certain sources may be be blacklisted due to poor credentials, clear traffic-mongering etc. Blacklisted sources will be posted here. 
      Thank you for your co-operation and please PM the Administrator or Moderators if you have any questions, concerns or suggestions regarding this forum.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DeltaSwede

[Rumour] Mattias Ohlund Considering Retirement

58 posts in this topic

From Swedish newspaper Sportbladet:

After 908 NHL games:

Now recognizes Olympic gold hero from 2006 that his career is coming to an end.

- Mentally, I feel that there will be no more, says Mattias Ohlund, 36, to kuriren.nu.

Ohlund has not played a single match in over two years.

A knee injury has stopped him.

However, he is constantly aiming for a comeback in the NHL, where he played eleven seasons for Vancouver and the last five years, belonged to Tampa Bay.

"I have to be realistic"

Now however recognize the veteran that career is probably over.

- In a perfect world, I had played hockey for a few years. But I still turn 37 years in a few weeks, says Mattias Ohlund to kuriren.nu.

- I've had a pretty long career and I'm happy with. I do not feel at all bad mentally in any way. But I have not played in over two years. I have to be realistic and realize that the conditions to play again become smaller and smaller, he continues.

Ohlund has done four Olympics for Tre Kronor, 2006 in Turin, it was gold, and he has done over 900 games in the NHL.

The last two seasons have been devoted to rehabilitation.

- Even if my knees would be fine when I wake up in the morning so the prospects of getting back are very little. To come back when you are my age is not the easiest thing, he says.

If he can recover from his injury a PTO would be good.

But thats an 'if' :(

This is painful to read, it's a real shame how much of his career that injury has stolen from him. :(

well if his knees can hold up i dont see why a club won't pick him up. i'd say he has 1 or 2 years left. maybe a good bottom pairing, veteran presence to a young team. was always my favourite canuck back in the day

Ohlund is a beauty.

One of my favorite all time Canuck blueliners.

well if his knees can hold up i dont see why a club won't pick him up. i'd say he has 1 or 2 years left. maybe a good bottom pairing, veteran presence to a young team. was always my favourite canuck back in the day

i'm guessing another reason a team wouldn't pick him up is that he's under contract with tampa...

Whoa... He's been in Tampa for 5 years already ???

Time flies.

Arguably the best Dman the Canucks have ever had, when he retires he should be entered into the ring of honor right away.

Would be such a shame if he has to retire. I know the chances are slim, but it would be great to see him play again.

I still wish we kept him though. I never agreed with MG's decision to let him walk.

Would be such a shame if he has to retire. I know the chances are slim, but it would be great to see him play again.

I still wish we kept him though. I never agreed with MG's decision to let him walk.

Ohlund is a beauty.

One of my favorite all time Canuck blueliners.

Matty O was my favourite player for a long time, but really a 7 year deal at 3.6 million cap hit? no way the Canucks were matching that term. And he would be screwing over the Lightning if he does retire, he should just stay on LTIR a la Pronger.

Sign Ohlund to a retirement contract. Retire in Vancouver!

Matty had major both knees scoped in 2011. One knee didn't heal properly (bone rubbing on bone was too painful) and he ended up having reconstructuve knee surgery in 2012 to have his cartilage completely replaced with titanium joint in that knee. He has worked hard to rehab it, but he'll be lucky to just walk pain-free, let alone play pro hockey again.

Like Pronger, he is likely to stay on LTIR until his Tampa Bay contract expires rather getting a compliance buyout -- see http://www.rawcharge.com/2013/5/28/4373092/2013-nhl-compliance-buyout-mattias-ohlund-ltir.

i'm guessing another reason a team wouldn't pick him up is that he's under contract with tampa...