The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Valeri Nichushkin vs Bo Horvat

KellyHrudey

I've never come close to saying a prospect who hasn't played a single game in the NHL is better than a player with almost 500 games of pro experience.

Glad you find that amusing though.

Aww man, you are lucky I am too lazy too go back and find some of your Bo Gretzky quotes.

Lazy and because I don't like to fight you.

You will not give up.

Horvat is clearly not NHL ready just yet, he looked slow and was making horrible passes today.

Nichushkin is much further on in his development and, playing the wing, doesn't have as many responsibilities as a center so it's much easier for him to slot into the NHL.

Horvat will be ready in a couple of years time.

Scott Gomez received $7+ million a year.

How worth it was he again? Maybe we should have asked Montreal what they wanted for him before the buyout.....I mean he would have been the better player right?

Well, he must've done something in the first place to have been offered that $7+ million salary. Its not like GMs around the league randomly give away $7 million salaries.

It is obvious that Nichushkin is offensively gifted and knows how to put on a show, but I think objectively thinking about it we have to give some credit to why the Canuck's organization picked Horvat. We are trying to build an everlasting, hard working team, where there is a developed culture of cohesiveness and progression through the ranks. Call it the Detroit model, but the swedes they have over there and had (ie Lidstrom) are all hardworking team players, sort of like the Sedins perhaps? The Canucks want to create that culture and have the right players to fit in (in all honesty I don't think Gillis enjoys drafting players only to ship them out due to a mis-match). Yes, It is too far to draw assumptions but I think what they saw in Horvat was without-a-doubt he is Canadian and that he know he has to work his ass off and that although he isn't the flashiest, the biggest, the fastest..he is a complete player, one whose full potential is yet to emerge.

For Dallas Nichushkin makes sense, the hockey market hasn't been great, and since the departure of Hull and Modano..nobody has really re-surged the team, getting Seguin and Nichushkin will attract the fans again, at the end of the day its about the business. We are fortunate (or unfortunate I guess) that the Canucks are a wealthy club due to a dedicated large fan base, and these guys are not necessary concerned about making an additional buck but to invest, and invest smart into the future.

Say what you want about the organization, but from a business point of view - you can't knock it. Just look at calgary, their depleted team is going to take a financial hit. Contrast that with the Canucks or Detroit - from a monetary point of view both organizations have been consistently filling their seats.

Time will tell. Ask me again in about 7 or 8 years.

Wow, time will tell, terrible rationalization for this massive mistake...every scout in the world knows that Nichushikin is a far more talented player, huge mistake by Gillis Nichy will be a superstar in this league and Bo's a third liner at best. Once again Canucks brass have their blinders on. Time will not tell... I'll tell you by the time Bo has a regular spot in the NHL Nichy will be a point a game player.

Wow, time will tell, terrible rationalization for this massive mistake...every scout in the world knows that Nichushikin is a far more talented player, huge mistake by Gillis Nichy will be a superstar in this league and Bo's a third liner at best. Once again Canucks brass have their blinders on. Time will not tell... I'll tell you by the time Bo has a regular spot in the NHL Nichy will be a point a game player.

Your Nichy hasn't been hit or targeted yet by the big hitters in the west, if he doesn't keep his head up he will be in Lala land. Horvat is much more aware of what happens in front of him.

Do you guys realize you are talking about 18 yr olds? and suggesting, before either has had any track record in the NHL that one is better than the other?

why? bc you saw a russian kid in the wjc and you think that's all hockey is about? you read a draft preview inthe hockey news? lol

they are DIFFERENT PLAYERS folks and only time will tell who is 'better and better for the teams needs'.

Lets break it down.

Our needs

1. Given our lack of depth at center and in particular, young centers with size, this was a priority for the team. we all KNOW this. Sedins are going into their last contract, Kesler perhaps into his last as well on the next one.

2. Other than Schroeder and Gaunce we had NO one to take over that 1/2 role

3. Schroeder is more a 2c, Gaunce is a 3c.

4. The two most important positions in hockey are center and goal, if you want to win a championship, having big, 2 way centers who can skate is imperative and a valuable asset.

5. We have lacked size and scoring combo in the playoffs, with heart. MANY ON HERE WERE COMPLAINING WE NEEDED MORE CANADIAN KIDS, and now the same ones are complaining we didn't take a RUSSIAN.

6. This kid won the OHL playoff MVP. This is the toughest junior league in the world, where the best of the best young players play, and he won the PLAYOFF MVP...not sure what you guys who are complaining want but if you tell me I can have Alexi Kovalev or Jonathan Toews, its pretty clear who I'd want to build my team around.

7. Flash doesn't mean winning. Nikuk, is not Pavel Bure folks, heck he's not Ovie or Malkin. He's good but in the playoffs, game 7 Vancouver, Dallas 5 years from now, overtime, players are tired. Battle for the puck in the defensive end, who do you want battling on the boards for that puck? Bo Horvat? or Nikushkin? who is going to win that battle?

8. Sorry but Canadian kids want the stanley cup more than any russian. Heck they want the stanley cup more than any other kid from any other country, we're born with it.

This kid will be a future captain of the canucks, he will be Trevor Linden with better hands. Mark my words...and ya Nikuk may turn out to be a heck of a player too...but we got Shinkaruk,....we got a game breaker in the system...

Winning, and building a team takes a mix of styles, size, positions etc. This kid brings hands, skating, size, and intangibles. Nikuk lacks that last word, intangibles and no one will ever tell me, or convince me that in game 7 of a stanley cup final that when its on the line a Canadian kid will not out battle, out compete a russian...simply because that canadian kid will want it more...and THAT is what we have been lacking, not skill.

Nichushkin is boom or bust. Could be an elite winger or he could be the next Nikita Filatov/Nikolai Zherdev/Alex Radulov/countless others.

Horvat will almost certainly be a solid NHLer, the only question is whether it will be as a 3rd liner or a solid 2-way 1st liner.

Honestly, I don't think picking either could be considered a "right" or a "wrong" pick.

Both bring a different element and a different risk factor, and we chose to take the safer pick.

Who would ye even play with on our team Sedins are out because they use the cycle to manage the puck and create chances where as Nichuskin is not a cycle player. Kesler is out because he is a shoot first player and not a pass first player. I think you would do better as a ranger fan they seem to like their one man shows

Aww man, you are lucky I am too lazy too go back and find some of your Bo Gretzky quotes.

Lazy and because I don't like to fight you.

You will not give up.

It's called being optimistic. You should try it some time.

As far as "Bo Gretzky", not sure about that one. All I've said about Horvat is that he's more of the type of player you win cups with as opposed to flashy Russians. Never said he was better than anyone.

It's called being optimistic. You should try it some time.

As far as "Bo Gretzky", not sure about that one. All I've said about Horvat is that he's more of the type of player you win cups with as opposed to flashy Russians. Never said he was better than anyone.

And what if Horvat becomes our future captain, plays here for 20 years, and leads us to a cup?

How is this different then people hyping up Nichushkin?

20 years and captain of the Stanley cup team? The kid hasn't even had 5 preseason shots on goal?

Practice what you preach brotha

Remember when everyone was crying that Richards was better then Kesler early on in their careers? At the time he was however. But Kesler became the beast he is now. That is just ONE example of fans judging way too god damn quick.

Do you really want to make this comparison?'It's not like Kesler is an obvious selection over Richards.

Richards has no Selke; but has had the better career to date. 425 points in 575 games, a cup and a cup final plus team Canada performances. Kesler's is 350 points in 578 games. Really its quite close, the edge to Richards because he did not effectively lose 2 prime of career years to nagging injuries.

Its like the Hodgson versus Kassian debate. Diehard CDCérs are convinced Hodgson is a worthless bum. Recent poll on HF boards had more than 90% voting Buffalo as the trade winner. Richards would also wins such a comparison, although not so resoundingly.

Archived