The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Could Kesler be the odd man out?

Lui's Knob

Really starting wonder if the Canucks upper management are attempting to maximize Kesler for a pending trade at some point before the deadline (see Hodgson, Schneider, mostly every other player Gillis seems to ship out)...

- They've brought in a number of wingers (Burrows, Booth, Higgins to name a few) and none have been able to get him going, and he's not the pass first center to help his wingers either

- They don't put him in the 3C role (when they tried with Hodgson) and not skilled enough for 1C and can't produce at 2C

- Has endured constant injuries (due to play style and at times no fault of his own)

- Unable to hit the 40 goal mark again (one hit wonder)

- Aging and unable to hit 'elite' status with guys like Kane, Toews, Datysuk's of the game

- Bringing in Torts still hasn't helped him; Torts has given him even more increased ice time and and PP time and even time with the Sedins (which is a bust trial run IMO)

- For the amount of years Sedins have been in the lineup, 2nd line offense or production has been a constant issue (except for when the Sedins themselves were behind Bertuzzi/Naslund in their prime)

- They also want to get younger and have players in the works to phase him out (Horvat for 2C/3C, Gaunce for 3C, Shinkaruk for 2nd line winger)

Could the Canucks package Kesler out with a unfriendly cap contract like Booth, and a rookie (maybe Gaunce if they don't see him as a solution long term or Tanev if Corrado can fill his role) and hit the re-tool button for totally new look 2nd line?

Maybe NYI, Philly could be trade partners?

I still think it's a bit early to make absolute statements like he cannot hit 40 goals, Torts hasn't helped him, etc., but he needs to turn things around reasonably quickly.

If both he and Booth are unimproved, it's hard to imagine any team taking both in a package.

I think Kesler is still one of the best shutdown forwards in the NHL. Ill agree to that he's having a slow start but to write him off after 10 games? I think that we're jumping ship a little too quickly here and the Canucks would be making the wrong choice shipping off Kesler. He may not produce 70 points and 41 goals again. but I don't think that 50 points and a 20 goal season is out of the question.

Thank you for posting this. What kills me is that Kesler doesn't seem to have any chemistry with anyone on the team. People blame Higgins and Booth for not producing but Kesler has shown no ability to play with anyone on the team. Even with the Sedins, who can make anyone look good, he's shown next to nothing. Fact is Kesler should not be a centre and until he learns how to actually distribute the puck, he's basically going to be a one man line. I've really wondered about his fit on the team in the first ten games.

We don't have any good 2nd line wingers for him to play with besides Burrows. Higgins and Hansen are 3rd liners and Booth is in the same spot Kesler's in as far as bouncing back from injuries. Also Kesler has played much in the last 3 years, give him some time. Santorelli can play anywhere but I prefer him at centre since he wins faceoffs.

Keep Kesler with the Sedins for now, it will help him get going.

Kesler is FAR from the problem, btw. Once some of those shots start going in, we're going to be saying how awesome he is again.

If we trade guys like Kesler and Bieksa, imho that will instantly backfire on us like the Richards/Carter trades backfired on Philly. And i won't believe for one second the reasoning the team will dish up to justify it. Because at that point we've pretty much given up.

He's been playing more icetime than any other of our forwards for years, so yes, we're trying to 'maximize his value.' But he has a NTC, so you might as well forget about trading him.

You sure love that NTC disclaimer. All that does is give Kesler a say in where he might go. If the team decides to move him he won't want to stay. All this is CDC angst anyway as it is way to early to start worrying about Kesler. He has been in position to score and the pucks aren't going in yet. I am sure they will. My impression of Kesler is that he puts way more pressure on himself than others do.

I am not ready to give up on Kesler.

But I do wonder at what point in time management will stop trying to find a playmaking winger/center for him and just debate trading him alone or in a package deal with another pick or prospect in our system for the best possible return and hope one of our many C prospects pans out into that playmaker we need.

I would be all over Columbus for Jenner and Rychel mostly because of the location for Kesler in regards to his NTC and they're in the east, or Florida for Trochek or Bjugstad and either Kulikov or Gudbranson. Try to replace that top shelf selke winning center with a solid C prospect and either a winger or defense

but I myself do not see this team giving up on kesler. He really has more value to us as we are still at least contending for a playoff spot and we all know what happens when a team goes on a run (Boston Jersey LA etc) And he will indeed be that guy we need.

Like Jaku said, he may never score 80+ points and 40+ goals again but the game isn't only about scoring goals, it is also about preventing them and Kesler does that in spades when shutting down specific players.

I feel Kesler can be extremely valuable, but not in the role he has been cast the last couple years.

I say let him be the fourth line center, in the sense that you put guys like Sestito and Weise on his line, but not in terms of ice time or play style. Let Kesler carry the line and offensive production, he tries to do this anyways. He does seem to struggle to ignite wingers such as Booth, Higgins, Hansen, so let them play with Schroeder/Santorelli/Richards.

I would love to see something like this:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Anyone can produce with the Sedins, but Burrows is the best at getting the Sedins themselves to produce. Add the defensemen being given the green light to jump up on the play and this line should be very productive. Kassian, Hansen, Santorelli could all slot in if Burrows is injured.

Sestito-Kesler-Weise

Kesler can carry the second line as he has always done, it will under produce but that is no change from what we have been seeing. The line will also be a pain to play against. Kassian would also fit quite well on this line as he can focus on physical play and ease himself into supplementing the offense. This is also a great line to slot someone in when we are injured, whoever is called up could play wing since these are essentially plug positions anyways. Great way to develop young talent having them play minutes and learn from Kesler.

Higgins-Schroeder-Hansen

Higgins and Hansen play very well together and should click. Speed alone should lead to some decent offensive output while still maintaining solid defensive play. Santorelli or Richardson would also work at center, and Booth would work on the wing, meaning this line can remain fairly constant even with injuries.

Booth-Richards-Santorelli

Have Booth lead the offense on this line, that fits his play style perfectly but also recognizes that his 'drive the net' style has not been effective enough to allow him to carry the first or second lines by himself. Santorelli can support Booth as he seems to be very good in that role regardless of who he is playing with. Richards is a darn good 4th line center who no one can complain about. Kassian can fill in on wing as he is a bruiser.

Note Kassian would be the 13th forward in this scenario, slot him in where you feel it is appropriate. If he does develop into someone who can play with the Sedins (or Santorelli does) then we can have Burrows on the fourth line, giving us a very strong fourth line.

The main point is that the Sedins can still carry the first line, if we stop promoting good third liners to playing with Kesler then we also have all the players we need for a strong two-way third line, with talent left over to have a fourth line that can still chip in on the score sheet. The weak point is no second line, or rather Kesler with no one to play with him. I say put the onus on Kesler to make his line something special, if he isn't using the wingers provided, give him plugs and strengthen the rest of the line up. The particular lines I have proposed are just a guess, but by putting our two weakest wingers with Kesler we should be able to spread out our talent enough to roll four strong lines.

I feel Kesler can be extremely valuable, but not in the role he has been cast the last couple years.

I say let him be the fourth line center, in the sense that you put guys like Sestito and Weise on his line, but not in terms of ice time or play style. Let Kesler carry the line and offensive production, he tries to do this anyways. He does seem to struggle to ignite wingers such as Booth, Higgins, Hansen, so let them play with Schroeder/Santorelli/Richards.

I would love to see something like this:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Anyone can produce with the Sedins, but Burrows is the best at getting the Sedins themselves to produce. Add the defensemen being given the green light to jump up on the play and this line should be very productive. Kassian, Hansen, Santorelli could all slot in if Burrows is injured.

Sestito-Kesler-Weise

Kesler can carry the second line as he has always done, it will under produce but that is no change from what we have been seeing. The line will also be a pain to play against. Kassian would also fit quite well on this line as he can focus on physical play and ease himself into supplementing the offense. This is also a great line to slot someone in when we are injured, whoever is called up could play wing since these are essentially plug positions anyways. Great way to develop young talent having them play minutes and learn from Kesler.

Higgins-Schroeder-Hansen

Higgins and Hansen play very well together and should click. Speed alone should lead to some decent offensive output while still maintaining solid defensive play. Santorelli or Richardson would also work at center, and Booth would work on the wing, meaning this line can remain fairly constant even with injuries.

Booth-Richards-Santorelli

Have Booth lead the offense on this line, that fits his play style perfectly but also recognizes that his 'drive the net' style has not been effective enough to allow him to carry the first or second lines by himself. Santorelli can support Booth as he seems to be very good in that role regardless of who he is playing with. Richards is a darn good 4th line center who no one can complain about. Kassian can fill in on wing as he is a bruiser.

Note Kassian would be the 13th forward in this scenario, slot him in where you feel it is appropriate. If he does develop into someone who can play with the Sedins (or Santorelli does) then we can have Burrows on the fourth line, giving us a very strong fourth line.

The main point is that the Sedins can still carry the first line, if we stop promoting good third liners to playing with Kesler then we also have all the players we need for a strong two-way third line, with talent left over to have a fourth line that can still chip in on the score sheet. The weak point is no second line, or rather Kesler with no one to play with him. I say put the onus on Kesler to make his line something special, if he isn't using the wingers provided, give him plugs and strengthen the rest of the line up. The particular lines I have proposed are just a guess, but by putting our two weakest wingers with Kesler we should be able to spread out our talent enough to roll four strong lines.

To be honest, this is the most stupid lineup I have seen so far this season.

You sure love that NTC disclaimer. All that does is give Kesler a say in where he might go. If the team decides to move him he won't want to stay. All this is CDC angst anyway as it is way to early to start worrying about Kesler. He has been in position to score and the pucks aren't going in yet. I am sure they will. My impression of Kesler is that he puts way more pressure on himself than others do.
One word: Luongo.

I think everyone can agree that he needs to get going: 3 goals and 1 assist in 10 games (2 goals in 1 game, 1 of those was a gift) and he's a minus 5.

However, he has been very good for us in other ways like faceoffs and penalty killing, which is UGE for any team. The guy just needs to get going. It is something to be concerned about, but nothing to get frantic about when we're only an eighth of the way into the season.

What concerns me the most is his skating since his hip surgery, he just doesn't look the same out there. Knowing him (he likes to rush his injuries) he probably has some scar tissue or something that is hindering his skating abilities. If so, it would be nice if he would lose his pride and do something about it before it ends his career. Of course, this is major speculation on my part, I know.

I think Christmas is a more appropriate time to evaluate the play of guys like Kesler and Booth since they are trying to rebound from some serious injuries and a shortened year last year.

Give it time.

Archived