The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Torts breathing life onto our Canucks

Stick-in-Rink

I was definitely apprehensive about the coaching change when I initially heard about it...especially after how the media painted Coach T near the end of his stint in NY. As with most things media related however, the image we got was heavily distorted and Tortorella isn't the egotistical maniac that they would have us all believe.

The fact that Healy dislikes him (and the feeling appears mutual) is already a pretty good indication that their might be something special about this coach.

Also...this is a forum, everyone has the right to their own opinion as long as they aren't flaming someone else, and if they choose to be cautious rather than optimistic...who cares?

Not being negative at all.

You absolutely are. Positive thinking would be "Only 14 games with one of the best start in years; what might they achieve once get better as the season goes along" (not to mention we aren't 100% healthy either)

U guys are right...we do seem more motivated, and so far Torts is doing great! A great discussion usually requires a devils advocate...so yes we're winning, and yes we usually start off less than stellar to begin a season. There are lots of positives; way more than negatives so far. I love it but the ppl that say that we don't need another solid top 6 player or two are a bit delusional. The only good team we've beaten so far is St Louis. When we do outplay the opposition, ( which has been quite a bit this season...yayyy) we barely beat them; except for Edmonton of course! One of the sedin's said yesterday, post game, something along the lines of " we prob should have beaten that team a lot easier, or the game shouldn't have been that close" because like so many games so far, we outplayed the competition. A good example is the Pittsburg game. We totally outplayed them but we ended up losing in a shoot out. We also gave up more quality scoring chances than we created ourselves. Somebody mentioned above that our goals for and against are fairly even. This has got to be a concern. We can't keep letting these teams stay in games. I know this is early in the season, but this has been a trend of ours since the Boston series. We have a great team that tries really hard; we usually outplay our competition, including most of the great teams, however, we need more natural scorers, so that when these games tighten up, which they will come playoffs, we have guys that can snipe those corners. If not for the fans...please do it for the Sedins! They are unreal players that need a little more help; especially come playoff time when the other team focuses heavily on shutting down that first line( which now includes Kesler)

Torts has breathed life into the team. It was getting stale under AV, although I admit I wasn't that keen to see Mike Gillis make a change and I was shocked when Torts was hired. The change I have noticed is the puck battles. We are now officially battling for the puck at all times. We are not sitting back and allowing the play to remain in our d-zone. The mistakes are more related to missed assignments and being out of position due to aggressive play than because of the dump and chase snore fests we were all subjected to from time to time...to time. I for one am extremely happy with the showing so far, and I hope Torts continues to impress.

I wouldn't trade Garrison for 2 Salo's. Perhaps we're not th same team as 2010-11 but Errorhoff was no one's savior, he was simply a pawn for the Sedins. Salo ans Erhoff have been replaced with similar pieces in Edler and Garrison. Edler gets the points and Garrison takes the bomb shots from the point.

BUT WE HAVE TO MAKE AS MANY EXCUSES AS POSSIBLE!

I completely agree. It's so stupid how people were saying that the Sedins started to decline once we lost Ehrhoff, yet they're off to their best career starts. Ehrhoff is now on the worst team in the NHL (not entirely statistic-wise) and has looked to be no ones saviour.

It's still too early to tell, but signs are positive. Tort's has walked into a job with a team with unrealized potential and a bit of an identity crisis ( divers & biters and an us against NHL establishment vibe that was doing us no favors), and has instilled some structure, work ethic and pride into our boys. We still have to learn how to beat the sharks before anyone can start planning the parade, but after all the years of drama that have followed this team ( in no small part due to the media b.s. that accompanies all Canadian market teams ) it sure is nice to know we've got a coach with whom the buck stops and I'm damn sure he's not going to let the media propagate their crap about our team anymore. The players are playing like they know he's got their back.

Archived