Sign in to follow this  
Go Go Canucks Go

Dane Fox | LW/C

I just don't get why management (Utica/Vancouver...whoever's in charge) hasn't/didn't give Fox a shot in Utica. Really unfair the lack of opportunity he was given.

Leads the team with 50 points in 53 games and also goals. Not to mention he's 2nd in the league in goals trailing by just 1 I think. 

...what's most bizarre is he started off in the E because Utica had an abundance of forwards to begin the year and yet when Utica was facing all those injuries during the season, they chose to sign PTO's instead on recalling Fox. Doesn't make any sort of sense and goes to show how unfair of chance Dane has got, especially with him doing so well in the E. 

Unfortunate and adding all the pieces up, looks like he has next to no future in this organization. Sucks because idk why they don't at least give him a chance...doesn't hurt anyone and there's a good chance he would've done well in Utica considering how he was developing and playing with the k-wings. One thing I don't like about this regime tbh. Once they decide on if a guy doesn't fit their model, they just give up on him completely. Look at the Shinkaruk situation...like sure he might not fit your model but don't just let go and not give it a crack/him a chance. Same thing with Fox is going on it seems.

Although it seems unlikely at this point, I hope Fox is given a spot/chance to crack Utica's roster next season.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

I just don't get why management (Utica/Vancouver...whoever's in charge) hasn't/didn't give Fox a shot in Utica.  ...

Although it seems unlikely at this point, I hope Fox is given a spot/chance to crack Utica's roster next season.

I don't pretend to know why Fox has a total of 1 AHL game in his two pro years, but doesn't his contract expire this summer?  (That what shows for him on generalfanager.)  Assuming that to be the case, given that he's been left in the ECHL while the Comets signed several ECHL forwards to professional tryout contracts, my guess is that if he's in the AHL next season it won't be with the Comets.

Edited by tyhee
  • Upvote 1

Fox, Valk, and Blomstrand have all performed well, yet they are signing guys like Brandon Marino, Kellen Jones, Cam Reid, Gregor Hanson and Michael Pereira from random ECHL teams. Sucks to see. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

Fox, Valk, and Blomstrand have all performed well, yet they are signing guys like Brandon Marino, Kellen Jones, Cam Reid, Gregor Hanson and Michael Pereira from random ECHL teams. Sucks to see. 

Travis Green has autonomy over the line up in Utica. Clearly he prefers other ECHL PTO guys over the Kalamazoo three. 

As much as Utica's needed some reinforcements they haven't pulled from the Zoo, they haven't used Fox, Blomstrand or Valk. It may be the Canucks aren't interested in keeping them going forward, but they've also had great chemistry as a line and perhaps they just want to bring all three to Utica at once. I could understand the Canucks walking away from one or two and/or possibly signing AHL-only deals, but to walk away from all three considering some good success in the ECHL would be surprising.

This is especially true in my opinion since not only do we have contract space (45 currently, and even if we add we have some expiring as well) but we also have room in the AHL with Shinkaruk traded, Grenier waiver eligible, and Gaunce and Zalewski potentially challenging for spots in Vancouver as well. We know Kenins was being shopped and there's very little coming from junior or otherwise to fill the gap as well, so there is space unless they have more Cracknell's and O'Reilly's they'd like to sign instead as pro AHL'ers.

I think at this point we can say with some amount of certainty that Fox won't be getting a chance.  From a fans standpoint it's pretty disappointing.  He's always one of the most exciting guys in the prospect tourneys and dev camp; even some pre-season games.  I guess management sees too many negatives that we are ignoring or simply not seeing.

This could be a good thing for Fox. If he can impress with Charlotte for the rest of the AHL season, he could secure another NHL deal with the Canucks. If the Canucks opt to pass on Fox, and he still impresses in Charlotte enough, it may mean he gets a deal with the Carolina Hurricanes.

It's a weird deal, nonetheless, but it makes sense. Hensick at least gives the Utica some veteran depth as they try to get in the hunt for an AHL playoff apperance.

2 minutes ago, Quantum said:

This could be a good thing for Fox. If he can impress with Charlotte for the rest of the AHL season, he could secure another NHL deal with the Canucks. If the Canucks opt to pass on Fox, and he still impresses in Charlotte enough, it may mean he gets a deal with the Carolina Hurricanes.

It's a weird deal, nonetheless, but it makes sense. Hensick at least gives the Utica some veteran depth as they try to get in the hunt for an AHL playoff apperance.

Was this AHL deal done because we lost Cracknell to waivers, and this Hensick guy is taking Cracker's role?

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Was this AHL deal done because we lost Cracknell to waivers, and this Hensick guy is taking Cracker's role?

From what I can tell, I think so. He'll also likely fill for Gaunce as he stays with the NHL club. (With Henrik's injury, I don't anticipate Gaunce will be back in Utica anytime soon). It's a solid move for Utica... and like I said, a good opportunity for Dane Fox to prove himself in the AHL. I'll be interested to see how he performs at the AHL level.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Quantum said:

From what I can tell, I think so. He'll also likely fill for Gaunce as he stays with the NHL club. (With Henrik's injury, I don't anticipate Gaunce will be back in Utica anytime soon). It's a solid move for Utica... and like I said, a good opportunity for Dane Fox to prove himself in the AHL. I'll be interested to see how he performs at the AHL level.

Let's hope Fox keeps lighting the lamp, and chucking the knuckles.  

18 minutes ago, Yotes said:

Traded to Carolina, Lock thread

no longer Canuck property ..another GMMG domino falls.

1 minute ago, ShakyWalton said:

no longer Canuck property ..another GMMG domino falls.

He's still Canuck property. 

Just now, Gooseberries said:

He's still Canuck property. 

no..he was just traded for futures..Now official - #Canucks trade Dane Fox to Carolina for Future Considerations.

What's the betting Fox is on his way to Charlotte in the AHL. The speed at which Fox was dispatched tp the ECHL by Green at the beginning of the season suggested a difference of opinion/problem

Edited by Fred65

4 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

no..he was just traded for futures..Now official - #Canucks trade Dane Fox to Carolina for Future Considerations.

Ah

Oh well. Free asset. We shed a contract. No reason to get upset overy an echler

1 minute ago, Yotes said:

Well the MG prospects gets smaller, who is next on the chopping block...

Probably that worthless bum Horvat :P