The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Brass Will Deny This - But They're in Rebuild Mode

Peter Gunn

The Canuck brass will deny this until they’re blue in the face but this club is in the midst of a rebuild, and the first thing you do in a rebuild is ascertain what you have, who to move and what to go after.

What do they have, solid goal-tending and a good defence. If things stay the same who do you move, probably Booth, Hansen, Burrows and Edler. And what’s the main reason why you would move these four, CAP space and what would that provide - The Ability to go after not one but TWO PROVEN top 3, not top 6 but top 3 forwards like Vanek, Moulson, or Stastny. You offer any of these two players 8 mil each and the Canucks will still be 2 mil under next years CAP, and the second reason, draft picks, prospects or both.

This team needs proven point producers instead of hoping that certain players will get their groove back or a few 19 or 20 year olds will lead us to the promised land. That kind of thinking has to end because the status quo and Torts might get you into the playoffs, but it sure as hell won’t get you anywhere near the Stanley Cup.

Don't be surprised to see them clear the deck in an attempt to be heavy players in this summer’s Free Agency.

Sedin, Sedin, Vanek or Moulson

Horvat, Stastny, Kesler

Higgins, Santorelli or Richardson, Kassian

PS - Requesting certain players to waive their NTC is difficult but doable.

So 8 mil for a second line centre? Have you been into my stash?!? I don't think any of these guys are worth 8mil, last I heard since not playing with Tavares, Molsons production has been down. If you are gonna pay somebody 8 mil, they need to make the guys around them better, not reverse.

Also, a rebuild does not happen to a middle of the pack team, which is what we are, like it or not

GCG

Retool mode. Not Rebuild. We are still good enough to compete now for a mid level playoff position, good enough for top 10 in the league when healthy without question, not top 5 elite but top 10 good.

We are not Calgary we are not kidding ourselves. We all knew this year was going to be a one off. But new division new coaches and system a new look line up "new look" and multiple injuries and suspensions have left this team where most of us predicted, on the bubble.

Those with foresight saw this coming, knew it was retool time and that this year would be a great way to sift through our lines and sort out our issues to make proper changes with and for them.

Next season (yes die hards we are still saying next season) will see a minimum of 4 regulars in our line up over the last few seasons gone via attrition trade and the like, the introduction of new blood via rookies and trades or UFA pick ups.

Just riding this season out and using it as our litmus test.

edit** Also adding guys who are NOT game breakers like Tavares Duchene Stamkos Malkin Crosby or Hossa or the like to $8 million contracts is beyond insane....you'd handcuff the team for years like the Leafs just did with Kessel Clarkson and Phaneuf

Retool mode. Not Rebuild. We are still good enough to compete now for a mid level playoff position, good enough for top 10 in the league when healthy without question, not top 5 elite but top 10 good.

We are not Calgary we are not kidding ourselves. We all knew this year was going to be a one off. But new division new coaches and system a new look line up "new look" and multiple injuries and suspensions have left this team where most of us predicted, on the bubble.

Those with foresight saw this coming, knew it was retool time and that this year would be a great way to sift through our lines and sort out our issues to make proper changes with and for them.

Next season (yes die hards we are still saying next season) will see a minimum of 4 regulars in our line up over the last few seasons gone via attrition trade and the like, the introduction of new blood via rookies and trades or UFA pick ups.

Just riding this season out and using it as our litmus test.

edit** Also adding guys who are NOT game breakers like Tavares Duchene Stamkos Malkin Crosby or Hossa or the like to $8 million contracts is beyond insane....you'd handcuff the team for years like the Leafs just did with Kessel Clarkson and Phaneuf

yes,, agree..dont expect much this year,,,but as you say, most of us knew that going in.

I hope you are right .. at least in the aspect of them admitting to themselves that it is time to "RETOOL " or REBUILD .. I just dont trust our gm anymore .. nor do I trust the owner ,as he seems to be making hockey decisions himself .. ughh .. he should worry about what property to buy or what young girl to bonk , and hire a professional to at least advise him .. I would love to see pat Quinn in that roll ...

I pray we dont end up like calgary and flounder in mediocrity trying to get past a 1st round or into the playoffs .. lets start the healing now !!!

I have posted this before but I firmly believe we should keep our prospects and picks and attempt to add to them anyone under the age of 24, anything in the first 2 rounds and in each draft until the end of 2015 stockpile everything we can.

We are just getting a sustainable and viable pool of prospects. Any changes made that do not bring us back a player like Hertl, Monahan, Sproul, Mantha, Kane, Strome, Huberdeau, Domi, Rychel, Johansen or other such blue chip prospect/stud player will and should be made off of the roster

Such redundant and expensive players via contract, NTC or again redundancy issues would be

Luongo

Burrows

Booth

Hansen

Weise

Higgins

Tanev

Edler

Stanton

While obviously we do not want to get rid of any of them for the most part, due to cap relief, redundancy in our system NTC issues and just change of scenery as well as potential return. These are the players most likely to be moved.

We are not in rebuild, but we are in a retool and that means making changes for the good of the team

I think the word "rebuild" means to do it through drafting rather than through the UFA. So if we are signing Vanek and Statsny, then that would be a retool.

I somehow always associate the term "rebuild" with the teams that are consistently missing the playoffs and has chance for the top 5 pick. I don't think we are there... if we do this re-tooling thing the right way, we probably won't have to rebuild. Having said that, with the exception of Detroit, teams seem to go through the rebuilding at least once every 15 to 20 years or so. If we look back and say that our "rebuild" began right around the time Naslund emerged as a star and the Sedins got drafted, it has been about 15 years since we did our last rebuild. I hope we don't, but there is a possibility that if this re-tooling doesn't go well, we may get into rebuilding mode within a few years...

the last couple years, we had better teams then this year And we got absolutely blown out of the playoffs...

This team is on a steady decline, and we are barely a bubble team that is declining with anchor NTC contracts (thanks mg) saddling this team down....

Were not rebuilding, were not even "retooling". Gillis is just milking the last little bit out of the core he inherited to try and make the playoffs $$$$$ for aquiline..

Remember Nonis lost his job because he refused to mortgage the future to barely grab the 8th..

This coward gillis' way of running this team will have dire consequences in the very near future..

the last couple years, we had better teams then this year And we got absolutely blown out of the playoffs...

This team is on a steady decline, and we are barely a bubble team that is declining with anchor NTC contracts (thanks mg) saddling this team down....

Were not rebuilding, were not even "retooling". Gillis is just milking the last little bit out of the core he inherited to try and make the playoffs $$$$$ for aquiline..

Remember Nonis lost his job because he refused to mortgage the future to barely grab the 8th..

This coward gillis' way of running this team will have dire consequences in the very near future..

Oh no the sky is falling....

So....what should he do? Go the Calgary route and sell everything for rentals?

He is doing the right thing by doing nothing stupid. That isn't cowardice, that's common sense. Something apparently lacking on this board lately

I would seriously look at trading booth, & edler. But not hansen, I mean come on he's a good checking forward. Burrows, yea I would trade him, but he's been injured, so I would let him ride the season out, & see what happens next year with him. I think next year we should focues on the youth movement, need to get younger.

Sorry but rebuild can't be done with every significant player with a NTC.

This team still has the talent to compete for the cup. Had AV still been here we would be much higher in the standings.

Torts just needs to learn the basics of not blowing a third period lead. Give him a break it's his first year with the team. I'm sure he'll figure it out. Hopefully by the playoffs.

I don't see what the problem here is. They are in another funk, in a few days they will start another win streak, then they will suck again for a few weeks, then win again... And we will finish 4th in the division good for the first wild card spot and will play St Louis first round; a team we have success against, and we will beat them in 6. Then we play the #1 seed Ducks who as everyone knows are coached by regular season success story Boudreau, so we will clean them out in 6 as well. By that time the team's confidence will be so high that they will realize how good they are and will smoke Chicago or LA or whoever is still around by that time. Then the cup final will be easy cause everyone knows the western conference is superior and we will win the cup.

It's not that complicated to foresee this. :picard:

Once you realize this year is a write off, the less stress you will have. Been a long time since I was able to not worry. I am just enjoying watching the team shed it's "soft" image and looking forward to the youth movement coming soon.

When we can suround youth with big talent and small contracts with a strong supporting cast *where the cap we saved with youth goes) then we'll be off to the races again.

I have posted this before but I firmly believe we should keep our prospects and picks and attempt to add to them anyone under the age of 24, anything in the first 2 rounds and in each draft until the end of 2015 stockpile everything we can.

We are just getting a sustainable and viable pool of prospects. Any changes made that do not bring us back a player like Hertl, Monahan, Sproul, Mantha, Kane, Strome, Huberdeau, Domi, Rychel, Johansen or other such blue chip prospect/stud player will and should be made off of the roster

Such redundant and expensive players via contract, NTC or again redundancy issues would be

Luongo

Burrows

Booth

Hansen

Weise

Higgins

Tanev

Edler

Stanton

While obviously we do not want to get rid of any of them for the most part, due to cap relief, redundancy in our system NTC issues and just change of scenery as well as potential return. These are the players most likely to be moved.

We are not in rebuild, but we are in a retool and that means making changes for the good of the team

I would take Luongo off that list.

He's not going anywhere, if he stayed after last season than he is here until he retires.

Archived