The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

*[PROPOSAL]* Alex Edler for Anthony Mantha+ Kyle Quincey

This is my first proposal.

In a perfect world I would like to see:

To Detroit: Alex Edler

To Vancouver: Anthony Mantha, Kyle Quincy

To Detroit: 5 million caphit

To Vancouver: 4.7 million caphit (Quincy is a free agent at the end of the year)

Detroit could really use a offensive defensmen who has the ability to throw big hits once in a while. I know that they said they don't like to trade away young players but they have been after edler since we drafted him. There have been more than one reports indicating their interest for Edler from the Ottawa Sun, TSN etc.

On our side we get a player who we could desperately use in the future. He is a big body who knows how to score goals.

From watching broadcasts outside of SN/TSN/CBC, I've noticed that the rest of the league thinks very highly of Alex Edler, the WGN(blackhawks) commentators even went as far to call him one of the best defensemen in the league. So I think that GMMG could squeeze a little more out a Ken Holland but then again, you would have thought the same of the Schneider deal...

Detroit needs a solid D man now much more than they need to wait on Mantha so this is a far from even proposal.

Edler + 3rd and 5th round pick for Mantha 1st and Tootoo.

They need to shed that cap to pick up Edler and the loss of Mantha and a 1st is more than evened out by free roster spot, 3rd and 5th.

Detroit needs a solid D man now much more than they need to wait on Mantha so this is a far from even proposal.

They need to shed that cap to pick up Edler and the loss of Mantha and a 1st is more than evened out by free roster spot, 3rd and 5th.

We don't need Tootoo. Mantha and a 1st would be enough.

makes sense maybe

Edler for Mantha and Quincy(He is a free agent at the end of the year) 3.7 caphit

We don't need Tootoo. Mantha and a 1st would be enough.

Detroit cannot eat Edler's cap hit without moving Tootoo and or Samuelsson, they also need the roster spots to sign some of their draft picks as well as bring some up from the AHL.

It's a give and take

Added, Tootoo is a playoff grinder and...can't say i wouldn't mind seeing Tootoo square off with Brown or some of the california teams

How does this make the canucks a better team? Best case scenario a few years down the road Mantha is what edler is today or slightly better. Total fail unless more is coming down the pipe. If Edler is traded he needs to be traded for help up front not a D prospect. Why trade a guaranteed commodity for a guy that is more of a risk and has upside potential of the guy you trade for him?? Zero sense in doing this move.

How does this make the canucks a better team? Best case scenario a few years down the road Mantha is what edler is today or slightly better. Total fail unless more is coming down the pipe. If Edler is traded he needs to be traded for help up front not a D prospect. Why trade a guaranteed commodity for a guy that is more of a risk and has upside potential of the guy you trade for him?? Zero sense in doing this move.

Mantha plays RW...

:picard: Mantha is a forward

Detroit cannot eat Edler's cap hit without moving Tootoo and or Samuelsson, they also need the roster spots to sign some of their draft picks as well as bring some up from the AHL.

It's a give and take

Added, Tootoo is a playoff grinder and...can't say i wouldn't mind seeing Tootoo square off with Brown or some of the california teams

How about quincy instead of samuelson and tootoo

Edler = 5 Million caphit

Quincy + Mantha= 4.7 Million caphit

leaves the wings with 100,000k of cap space according to capgeek http://capgeek.com/redwings/armchair-gm/?year_id=2013

and quincy is a ufa at the end of the year so basically we do a cap dump for a legit prospect

Considering we're already without Bieksa, Tanev, and Alberts, I wouldn't trade away a defenceman at this point.

Unless you mean in the offseason, even then, I think Edler could fetch much more.

That's short term and both bieksa and tanev will be back after the Olympics which is before the deadline

How about quincy instead of samuelson and tootoo

Edler = 5 Million caphit

Quincy + Mantha= 4.7 Million caphit

leaves the wings with 100,000k of cap space according to capgeek http://capgeek.com/r...m/?year_id=2013

and quincy is a ufa at the end of the year so basically we do a cap dump for a legit prospect

I think it is viable but if we also eat Tootoo or Samuelsson it does them a HUGE favour by leaving them enough cap space to actually pick someone up at the deadline for a playoff push. Not Hollands regular MO but first year in the east.....

That's why i suggested one of those two as well. We'd be able to fit them under the cap and it gives Detroit that extra bit of breathing room which is huge right now for them.

Considering we're already without Bieksa, Tanev, and Alberts, I wouldn't trade away a defenceman at this point.

Unless you mean in the offseason, even then, I think Edler could fetch much more.

Edler would garner more at the hyper active and ever expensive trade deadline. Remember, Gaustad got a 1st + and dangling Edler at the deadline would start a massive frenzy

That's short term and both bieksa and tanev will be back after the Olympics which is before the deadline

We also have Hutton, Corrado, Cederholm and so much mroe just waiting to step up into the NHL or AHL respectively. Edler is kind of redundant at this point

I think it is viable but if we also eat Tootoo or Samuelsson it does them a HUGE favour by leaving them enough cap space to actually pick someone up at the deadline for a playoff push. Not Hollands regular MO but first year in the east.....

That's why i suggested one of those two as well. We'd be able to fit them under the cap and it gives Detroit that extra bit of breathing room which is huge right now for them.

Both would put us over the cap though

Edler would garner more at the hyper active and ever expensive trade deadline. Remember, Gaustad got a 1st + and dangling Edler at the deadline would start a massive frenzy

If we're out of a playoff spot at the deadline and put Edler on the block we will cash in BIG TIME. We'd probably get a bigger and better return for Edler at the deadline than at any other time of the year IMO.

Archived