The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gillis on Team 1040 February 6

oldnews

AS others have said, after 2011, this team was a piece or two away from continuing to contend for years. Instead of adding those pieces, he chose to dismantle the make-up of the team and focus on building a team more along the lines of Boston. He failed to realize the importance from an offensive perspective of Ehrhoff and Sammuelsson. Neither were perfect but Ehrhoff was a PM d-man who had fantastic chemistry with the Sedins...that has never been replaced. Samuelsson was a sniper, again something that has not been replaced.

If Gillis really wanted to become more like Boston, he had to go full rebuild and move the twins. Instead he has nibbled at the edges, adding pieces to the supporting cast that while leaving the core untouched and without the support they have needed since 2011.

This team is marginally tougher than the team from 2011 but nowhere near as talented or dangerous.

Gillis has a hybrid that has no identity and no chemistry. The results on the ice should not come as a surprise. After this many years, what you see is the team Gillis built. There are no excuses considering the time he has had to mold this team. unfortunately, it appears he is the only one that doesn't see this and refuses to accept blame or make the necessary moves to address his past blunders.

No he can't and I didn't say he could. What he can control is getting this team what it is lacking and has been lacking ever since the year we went to the final. How many times has this team scored more than 2 goals this year. The injury excuse for this team would work if we weren't already heading in this direction last year.

No he can't and I didn't say he could. What he can control is getting this team what it is lacking and has been lacking ever since the year we went to the final. How many times has this team scored more than 2 goals this year. The injury excuse for this team would work if we weren't already heading in this direction last year.

Besides rentals who is currently on the market to trade for that would help goal scoring? Last year? Its not like Gillis is intentionally skipping out on these deals last year on paper the Roy trade was perfect but on the ice id dident pan out...Kassian is starting to show he is worth Hodgson he is not doing nearly as bad of a job...Its easy to say on here "trade for O'Reilly trade for Kane" why do these teams move them? Did we have the pieces for Seguin/Eriksson? hindsight is easy the current/future is hard

AS others have said, after 2011, this team was a piece or two away from continuing to contend for years. Instead of adding those pieces, he chose to dismantle the make-up of the team and focus on building a team more along the lines of Boston. He failed to realize the importance from an offensive perspective of Ehrhoff and Sammuelsson. Neither were perfect but Ehrhoff was a PM d-man who had fantastic chemistry with the Sedins...that has never been replaced. Samuelsson was a sniper, again something that has not been replaced.

If Gillis really wanted to become more like Boston, he had to go full rebuild and move the twins. Instead he has nibbled at the edges, adding pieces to the supporting cast that while leaving the core untouched and without the support they have needed since 2011.

This team is marginally tougher than the team from 2011 but nowhere near as talented or dangerous.

Gillis has a hybrid that has no identity and no chemistry. The results on the ice should not come as a surprise. After this many years, what you see is the team Gillis built. There are no excuses considering the time he has had to mold this team. unfortunately, it appears he is the only one that doesn't see this and refuses to accept blame or make the necessary moves to address his past blunders.

I agree Erhoff had great chemistry with the Sedins but I disagree Samuelsson was missed. We need an Erhoff 2.0 but not Erhoff himself. Samuelsson really got lucky here. There was an abundance of talent and he reaped the benefits. I never liked his game and despite his issues with AV, his attitude stunk in general. I am very glad Samuelsson left. We need a PM Dman, we need a top 6 forward. Neither are coming this season.

Besides rentals who is currently on the market to trade for that would help goal scoring? Last year? Its not like Gillis is intentionally skipping out on these deals last year on paper the Roy trade was perfect but on the ice id dident pan out...Kassian is starting to show he is worth Hodgson he is not doing nearly as bad of a job...Its easy to say on here "trade for O'Reilly trade for Kane" why do these teams move them? Did we have the pieces for Seguin/Eriksson? hindsight is easy the current/future is hard

Oh brother, do people really complain about Kassian on here? I had no idea. Kassian is a much more valuable commodity than Hodgson is. I'd make that trade again in a heartbeat. Power forward with Kassian's skills and skating are the rarest of commodities.

And he's just twenty-two years old. The sky is the limit.

Oh brother, do people really complain about Kassian on here? I had no idea. Kassian is a much more valuable commodity than Hodgson is. I'd make that trade again in a heartbeat. Power forward with Kassian's skills and skating are the rarest of commodities.

And he's just twenty-two years old. The sky is the limit.

Not in the thread but its an example of Gillis planning for the future with past trades as well as the then who was actually on the market...also shows the cost for young PWFs that people want and we just cant pay the prices

I agree Erhoff had great chemistry with the Sedins but I disagree Samuelsson was missed. We need an Erhoff 2.0 but not Erhoff himself. Samuelsson really got lucky here. There was an abundance of talent and he reaped the benefits. I never liked his game and despite his issues with AV, his attitude stunk in general. I am very glad Samuelsson left. We need a PM Dman, we need a top 6 forward. Neother are coming this season.

Sammuelsson was more of an example of what was missing and not replaced for his sniping ability than the man himself. I agree he had to go. At the very least though, Gillis shad to replace his offensive contribution with someone with similar abilities. He has not. IN a league where winning or losing is only a goal, the lost production from those two or players with their skill/chemistry is a huge loss.

He keeps giving out NTCs like candies and he wont ask any of the players to waive them to improve the team lol.

Get rid of Gillis before he gets desperate at the deadline and trades away ppl without ntcs aka horvat/shinkaruk for a ballard type players.

Gillis is NOT good at trading. Kinda scary what kind of return he'll get if he ever pulls a big trade at the deadline. He'll likely get fleeced.

Sammuelsson was more of an example of what was missing and not replaced for his sniping ability than the man himself. I agree he had to go. At the very least though, Gillis shad to replace his offensive contribution with someone with similar abilities. He has not. IN a league where winning or losing is only a goal, the lost production from those two or players with their skill/chemistry is a huge loss.

I disagree...Gillis brought in Booth who at the time was thought to work in that regard and was working until his 1st injury and then he completely dropped off the map for his scoring...Risks are taken and at the time that was safe but like the Ballard trade it failed

He tries to bring in what he feels the team needs and like all trades some work great but others not so much...Even the Schneider trade Gillis wanted Horvat rumours was he was offered Edmontons 1st and 2nd but no promise of getting him so that move was made...We shall see if that works out or not was a move for long term and with Lack playing the way he is was better to keep Lu to mentor another young goalie then have Lack outplay Schneider and have goalie controversy 2.0

I can forgive all the losses we've had if we beat the Leafs.

I dont care if we lost against other teams for what 5-6 games straight, but if we lose to the Laffs I will be severely Pissed.

everybody feels exactly how you do. I don't even care if they lose 10 straight after but they better beat the leafs. If they don't that's the last straw for me and I will officially be onto the Ducks wagon.

Agreed. I think Gillis thought Booth would be that guy, but obviously not. It's not Lego, chemistry means a lot.

LEGIT top 6 scorer needed for 3 years now and Gillis didnt do anything about it.

After another failed season, Gillis will say his usual excuses " its hard to make a trade", " its a process ", " Time to reset again" and his followers will believe every word of it.

Inability to make something materialize in a VERY competitive, closed system =/= "didn't do anything".

Agreed. I think Gillis thought Booth would be that guy, but obviously not. It's not Lego, chemistry means a lot.

Chemistry, injuries, luck etc...

LEGIT top 6 scorer needed for 3 years now and Gillis didnt do anything about it.

After another failed season, Gillis will say his usual excuses " its hard to make a trade", " its a process ", " Time to reset again" and his followers will believe every word of it.

Which team actually added a "legit" top-6 scorer out of thin air?

Ottawa got one for a couple younger ones. Boston managed to get lucky in a 2-for-1 deal. But who exactly was moved/signed, what did they cost, and did we have the assets and/or cap room to do it?

Gillis has had YEARS to figure it out and he hasn't.

What I love about the Gillis haters is how they continually use the same old arguments (like NTCs) that have been proven false or at least not any different than many other teams in the league do.

Get over it people, if you don't have a suggestion for an available replacement you think can do better, stop spewing garbage. In the very least, provide actual facts to back up your arguments against Gillis and people might take you seriously.

Archived