72 replies to this topic

#1 Sugar baby watermelon

Sugar baby watermelon

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 04:06 AM

Link to article regarding Carey Prices backup goalie giving some sage advice to Roberto Luongo.

http://www.canada.co...up-goalie-88472

Pretty straight forward, talking down to Roberto, how he will be unseated by Price this Olympics. Talks about how as Prices backup how great he was in the minors and in the WJCs. It will hit all the wrong buttons here in CDC that is for s

Sorry don't know if I am violating any policies when posting an article, I have never tried this before.

Here is the article

By Nick Olynyk
As Carey Price’s former backup, I’d like to offer some goaltending advice to Roberto Luongo as he enters the Olympics.
No, it’s not the on-ice kind, Roberto. I’m talking about how you should prepare for when Carey Price takes your spot in net. I’m qualified to share my wisdom — I watched Carey for a whole season, from his team’s bench, with my freezing hand swinging the door.
That year, 2005, Carey burst from prospect status to Canada’s top junior goalie, winning a world junior championship gold medal for Canada — unlike your WJC silver, Roberto.
I caddied for “Pricey,” as was his nickname on our team, on the Western Hockey League’s Tri-City Americans. This was before his world junior heroics, before the hype really began.
My first week on (off?) the job, I saw Carey get three straight shutouts, including a 48-save performance to cap off the trifecta.
During that game we slipped up — a lot. Carey covered us every time. Until that night, I never saw a goalie stand up and cradle a top-corner shot on a 3-on-O. Most guys would have been tied in a knot after that play. Not Carey.
After the first period, I nestled back into my spot on the bench and got comfortable for the rest of the year. By playoff time, the seat of my hockey pants had faded, literally, from where my butt met the bench.
Roberto, you’ll want to cover your curly locks with a toque in Sochi. It gets cold on the bench.

Posted Image
Team Canada goalies Carey Price and Roberto Luongo talk during practice at the Sochi Winter Olympics Tuesday February 11, 2014 in Sochi, Russia. (CANADIAN PRESS/Adrian Wyld)
Olaf Kolzig joined us during the NHL lockout that year. Not far removed from his Vezina Trophy season, I was in the presence of the one-time best goalie in the world and the then-best junior goalie in the world.
But let me tell you, Roberto, it’s kind of disheartening when a guy like Kolzig says, “That kid is something special. He’s 17 and he could already play in the NHL.”
Kolzig does have more Vezinas than you, just saying.

Carey also had an aura with fans. People were drawn to him as a person, not because he was a great hockey player.
Never in my career did I see a player who openly hugged fans he met, instead of shaking hands. Both the daughters and their mothers alike were just as eager to meet him. He’d chat with kids who idolized him after games, while we all watched from the bus.
I suggest you don’t wait around for Carey to finish signing autographs, Roberto. He’ll pose for pictures with every person.
Backing up Carey was the highlight of my junior career. I trained and played among some of the best goalies in the world: Kolzig, Josh Harding, Braden Holtby, Cam Ward, Ben Scrivens, Devan Dubnyk, Darcy Kuemper, Team Canada’s Shannon Szabados and at least a dozen others in the college and pro ranks. Great goalies, but none compare to Carey’s raw talent. I’m telling you, Roberto, things will change when he steps on the ice.
I have no doubt Canada will do well if I see a Luongo namebar above the crossbar this Olympics. You’ve done it for us before, Roberto. However, when I’m sitting on a wooden bar stool watching the game, I’ll put my bets on Carey Price. If he gets the net, he’s not leaving.
Trust me, Roberto, I know how you’ll feel.
- -
Nick Olynyk is a Canadian junior hockey expert. He is also author of the Junior Hockey Truth, and a second book will be published in the fall. His website, juniorhockeytruth.com, is for parents of bantam and midget hockey players who want to succeed at junior hockey.

#2 Everybody Hates Raymond

Everybody Hates Raymond

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,653 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 04:11 AM

POPULAR

That year, 2005, Carey burst from prospect status to Canada’s top junior goalie, winning a world junior championship gold medal for Canada — unlike your WJC silver, Roberto.

Who needs WJC gold when you have Olympic gold...

#3 Mr.DirtyDangles

Mr.DirtyDangles

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,900 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 04:12 AM

What a team player Olynyk is ? ...I love Price he is unreal . Lou is my man but I dont care who gets it done.

GoCanadaGo!

Edited by Mr.DirtyDangles, 12 February 2014 - 04:13 AM.

giphy.gif

#4 Del Rio

Del Rio

Canucks Regular

• Banned
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 04:13 AM

lol hilarious coming from a guy I think many have including me have no clue who he is and obviously was never even close to make the NHL....Yeah Price did that in Jr. what more has he done in the NHL since?

And yeah Price may be the guy, he is playing great. But Lu already has his Gold on the biggest stage you could ever get...

Edited by Del Rio, 12 February 2014 - 04:15 AM.

BlP_NlgCEAAOuch.jpg

#5 Kumquats

Kumquats

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,461 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 04:54 AM

POPULAR

Who?

#6 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:28 AM

Link to article regarding Carey Prices backup goalie giving some sage advice to Roberto Luongo.

http://www.canada.co...up-goalie-88472

Pretty straight forward, talking down to Roberto, how he will be unseated by Price this Olympics. Talks about how as Prices backup how great he was in the minors and in the WJCs. It will hit all the wrong buttons here in CDC that is for s

Sorry don't know if I am violating any policies when posting an article, I have never tried this before.

Here is the article

By Nick Olynyk
As Carey Price’s former backup, I’d like to offer some goaltending advice to Roberto Luongo as he enters the Olympics.
No, it’s not the on-ice kind, Roberto. I’m talking about how you should prepare for when Carey Price takes your spot in net. I’m qualified to share my wisdom — I watched Carey for a whole season, from his team’s bench, with my freezing hand swinging the door.
I caddied for “Pricey,” as was his nickname on our team, on the Western Hockey League’s Tri-City Americans. This was before his world junior heroics, before the hype really began.
My first week on (off?) the job, I saw Carey get three straight shutouts, including a 48-save performance to cap off the trifecta.
During that game we slipped up — a lot. Carey covered us every time. Until that night, I never saw a goalie stand up and cradle a top-corner shot on a 3-on-O. Most guys would have been tied in a knot after that play. Not Carey.
After the first period, I nestled back into my spot on the bench and got comfortable for the rest of the year. By playoff time, the seat of my hockey pants had faded, literally, from where my butt met the bench.
Roberto, you’ll want to cover your curly locks with a toque in Sochi. It gets cold on the bench.

Posted Image
Team Canada goalies Carey Price and Roberto Luongo talk during practice at the Sochi Winter Olympics Tuesday February 11, 2014 in Sochi, Russia. (CANADIAN PRESS/Adrian Wyld)
Olaf Kolzig joined us during the NHL lockout that year. Not far removed from his Vezina Trophy season, I was in the presence of the one-time best goalie in the world and the then-best junior goalie in the world.
But let me tell you, Roberto, it’s kind of disheartening when a guy like Kolzig says, “That kid is something special. He’s 17 and he could already play in the NHL.”
Kolzig does have more Vezinas than you, just saying.

Carey also had an aura with fans. People were drawn to him as a person, not because he was a great hockey player.
Never in my career did I see a player who openly hugged fans he met, instead of shaking hands. Both the daughters and their mothers alike were just as eager to meet him. He’d chat with kids who idolized him after games, while we all watched from the bus.
I suggest you don’t wait around for Carey to finish signing autographs, Roberto. He’ll pose for pictures with every person.
Backing up Carey was the highlight of my junior career. I trained and played among some of the best goalies in the world: Kolzig, Josh Harding, Braden Holtby, Cam Ward, Ben Scrivens, Devan Dubnyk, Darcy Kuemper, Team Canada’s Shannon Szabados and at least a dozen others in the college and pro ranks. Great goalies, but none compare to Carey’s raw talent. I’m telling you, Roberto, things will change when he steps on the ice.
I have no doubt Canada will do well if I see a Luongo namebar above the crossbar this Olympics. You’ve done it for us before, Roberto. However, when I’m sitting on a wooden bar stool watching the game, I’ll put my bets on Carey Price. If he gets the net, he’s not leaving.
Trust me, Roberto, I know how you’ll feel.
- -
Nick Olynyk is a Canadian junior hockey expert. He is also author of the Junior Hockey Truth, and a second book will be published in the fall. His website, juniorhockeytruth.com, is for parents of bantam and midget hockey players who want to succeed at junior hockey.

So some no name backup goalie that was backing up Price in Juniors is giving advice to a 34 year old, 14 year NHL veteran destined to go into HHOF? That is rich coming from someone I haven't heard of. Price might end up backing Luongo in the end just like Brodeur and you know the rest of the story.

Posted Image

#7 MayRayDown

MayRayDown

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,959 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:32 AM

Holtby, Scrivens, Dubnyk are among the best goalies in the world?

#8 Twilight Sparkle

Twilight Sparkle

Lizardshifting Shape

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,833 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:43 AM

who in the blue hell is nick... olynick? oly...moly **** this dude

11azxw1.jpg

Praise Smooze.

#9 Sugar baby watermelon

Sugar baby watermelon

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:46 AM

Uh oh, looks like Price is getting the start in the 1st game too, yikes, let the fun begin right??

#10 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:57 AM

Uh oh, looks like Price is getting the start in the 1st game too, yikes, let the fun begin right??

Its not like Luongo hasn't been in the same situation when he was backing Schneider through regular season and then the playoffs. Luongo is an older goalie that has seen everything and has experienced everything. So no one can really give him advice on things that he already has known and experienced, especially from some no name scrub. Am sure Luongo will be supportive of Team Canada's decision whether he is a starting goalie or a backup goalie.

Edited by Pouria, 12 February 2014 - 05:58 AM.

Posted Image

#11 Kumquats

Kumquats

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,461 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 06:04 AM

Luongo wasn't the starter at the last olympics either. :towel:

#12 Nuxfanabroad

Nuxfanabroad

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,721 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 06:46 AM

Publicly preachin' to the Eastern choir, hey there little guy? What a lame excuse for 'informed', this pretentious drivel..Gee, mister-seen it all haven't you?

If he were talkin to Luongo, face to face, he'd probably morph into a little shy, obsequious fanboy.

Idiotic, arrogant, flippant & disrespectful..& I'm no over-the-top Lu-worshipper.

Edited by Nuxfanabroad, 12 February 2014 - 06:48 AM.

#13 Jaimito

Jaimito

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,025 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 06:49 AM

Wtf. A no name ahl dude. Who cares.
Posted Image

#14 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,558 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:30 AM

The things some people will do/say to stay relevant.

I'm sure Nick Olynyk would have no problem feeling Glen Healey's tiny little shoes.

What a ???? joke. Benning is the worst GM in the NHL. I can't believe this guy is actually this stupid. This imbecile is going to drive this team into the ???? ground.

Down by the River - Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.

#15 Wheels22

Wheels22

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:33 AM

Oh right... Western Hockey League is the same as the Olympics.. Good call, Nick

#16 Standing_Tall#37

Standing_Tall#37

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,229 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:39 AM

Who cares? We either get our team goalie or a goalie from just 3 hours down the road. ( I can say this and I've got more of a reason to dislike Price than probably anyone here)

Quit being homers and be patriots. It's not about the Canucks. It's about team Canada.

#17 Newsflash

Newsflash

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,417 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:45 AM

Wow. This article is really disrespectful.

Buddy I called this EXACT situtation on here two years ago and was flamed, so I guess I have a bit of hockey knowledge, not to mention the 4 years I played in the OHL idiot.

The conspiracy theories that used to be against Lateralus:
Puberty, life, movie theaters, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out during a children's movie, Toy Story 3, Pixar, who ever decided to make Woody so damn attractive, a job, his mothers basement, being 40, being 40 five years ago, dogs who can out run him, all dogs, the Olympic committee, Truth, Fact, Honesty, Logic, Newsflash, a father figure who was there to see him learn to ride his first bike, bikes,

#18 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,558 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:06 AM

Who cares? We either get our team goalie or a goalie from just 3 hours down the road. ( I can say this and I've got more of a reason to dislike Price than probably anyone here)

Quit being homers and be patriots. It's not about the Canucks. It's about team Canada.

I don't think many people have a bias in terms of who is in goal (except maybe for apollo). I think people have an issue with some backup WHL goalie writing such a slanted piece.

EDIT: Actually, I take it back. Re-read the article and it really isn't that slanted. Just his experience with Price. His last few sentences of the article note that he would still be confident in Canada if Lu were between the pipes.

Edited by Down by the River, 12 February 2014 - 08:09 AM.

What a ???? joke. Benning is the worst GM in the NHL. I can't believe this guy is actually this stupid. This imbecile is going to drive this team into the ???? ground.

Down by the River - Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.

#19 Tre Mac

Tre Mac

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:41 AM

Fail. 2010, the year Luongo won Olympic gold and Price lost the starting role to Halak in the playoffs says sup.

#20 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 34,637 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:27 AM

Posted Image

"Wow, you were able to write and publish an article with that thing in your mouth the whole time?!?"

comeundone.gif

#21 TimberWolf

TimberWolf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,457 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:37 AM

The article was not patriotic, why are we supposed to be in response?

You are just being a team Canada homer by that logic but really, there is no reason at all to be upset with posters that don't like some neverwas trashtalking anyone on our team. No reason for this story to ever see the light of day anyways.

I'm rooting for whoever is in net as i want Canada to win

Edited by TimberWolf, 12 February 2014 - 09:49 AM.

I was saying Lu-Urns...

star-wars-hockey-goal.gif?w=284

#22 Amish Rake Fighter

Amish Rake Fighter

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,001 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:49 AM

I don't think I like the tone of that article.

But I do like the author's stat line for his last year of major junior, 14.73 GAA, .571 S%

Edited by Amish Rake Fighter, 12 February 2014 - 10:06 AM.

qrC4ALSTG9AZO.gif

#23 poetica

poetica

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,867 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:55 AM

That's not unexpected. In fact, it would be more of a story if it were the other way around. Neither of the first 2 starts (Norway and Austria) are seen as serious threats but are being treated as a testing ground for the goalies to decide which gets the 3rd start against Finland, a genuine test. Luo gets the benefit of the second game out of respect so that if he gets the 3rd start he can carry his momentum into that game. It's expected that whoever gets the 3rd start will be the starter for the rest of the games (unless they falter, of course).

Go, Luo!
Go, Canucks, Go!
Every single one of them.

Thanks for the memories, Luo! :'(

#24 gurn

gurn

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:11 AM

"But I do like the author's stat line for his last year of pro hockey, 14.73 GAA, .571 S% '

question?
As a reasonably fit guy, with decent reflexes, that has never played goalie, do I have a shot at doing better?

Honestly, no matter who plays in net, if Canada wins it will be with the goalie, not because of the goalie.

#25 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,187 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:23 AM

I can accept the possibility that Price will be the starter for the Olympics. But the tone is awfully condescending, coming from a kid who played in the dub a little bit to one of the best goalies of his generation.

#26 khay

khay

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:00 AM

Who needs WJC gold when you have Olympic gold...

Yep. How many Canadian players can say that they have WJC gold? Probably hundreds as the tournament takes place every year. How many can say that they have Olympic gold? 2002 team members and 2010 team members so that would be less than 50. Considering the last time Canada won gold is in 1952 (or 56) or something like that, not many Canadians can say that they have gold like Luongo.

No wonder this guy was a backup. He is a passive guy who is content with opening the door for Carey "Pricey".

#27 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 34,637 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:00 AM

Honestly, no matter who plays in net, if Canada wins it will be with the goalie, not because of the goalie.

But if they lose, it will be the goalie's fault.

The media is quite ridiculous in this regard.

comeundone.gif

#28 stawns

stawns

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,652 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:51 AM

lol hilarious coming from a guy I think many have including me have no clue who he is and obviously was never even close to make the NHL....Yeah Price did that in Jr. what more has he done in the NHL since?

And yeah Price may be the guy, he is playing great. But Lu already has his Gold on the biggest stage you could ever get...

He was actually a pretty good goalie. He backstopped the Vipers to a National Championship........he's just being a writer, it's nothing personal against Luongo.

#29 Mustapha

Mustapha

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,700 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:27 PM

Look out Glenn Healy and Kelly Hrudey...here comes another no talent goalie with a big ego to tell us all who the best players are...

bobssig.jpg

this is why i shaked my head at those Canuck fans that cheered on the fLames to make the playoffs... that fan base is stupid as f thats the fan base that still to this day are convinced Alberts faked going down for a call on hit on that McGrattan hit that sent him to retirement. 

I hated that fan base since 04 and will forever hate them. they have such a huge inferiority complex about our team and the city/province. I hope we dispose of these losers quickly. 

#30 250Integra

250Integra

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,913 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:14 PM

He can stand up now

naslundsig5.gif14326903821.giftowel.gif
Thanks for the Memories Canada!!!
Thanks for everything Naslund!
Original creator of the WWE and the Rate my sig / Showoff thread

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.