The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Ryan Miller and Steve Ott to St.Louis

You would think.

....but Edmonton says hi.

The difference is edmonton didn't draft anything past what scouts said a clear #1 is. They could have drafted serious gems had they either held on to their 2nd and 3rd round picks or just been a little wiser. Linus Omark....Pajarvi Svenson? They were single minded in their approach and had nowhere near the stockpile of picks Buffalo has had since 2011

Halak is better than Miller because he had 1 good season in the playoffs before getting shelled and benched in the ECF? By this logic Michael Leighton is a great goalie simply because he achieved more that Halak in 1 season

No you guys are the ones drooling over Miller I am saying Miller is not a upgrade on Halak. If Miller played for the Blues last year the Blues still would of lost to LA. I stated that Miller for Halak makes no sense and you know Miller is 33 his best years are well behind him Halak is 28 and still has at least 5 good years left.

Not only that but if Miller doesn't resign with the Blues they don't have a goaltender.

Haven't read any of the other posts, but does anyone else think the Blues gave up way too much?

For rentals? yes. But then again look what pitts did last year, and look at the current contract structure of the Blues. They can afford to take a hit like that while still being a technical elite team. And with Miller playing behind a Hitchcock system he's be re-signed for a few years and excel so the loss of a little forward depth and some picks they still maintain an elite status at their D and goaltending position.

No loss for them. They had the dpeth to spare and had vancouver had the same depth could have pulled similar moves in 2010/2011

No you guys are the ones drooling over Miller I am saying Miller is not a upgrade on Halak. If Miller played for the Blues last year the Blues still would of lost to LA. I stated that Miller for Halak makes no sense and you know Miller is 33 his best years are well behind him Halak is 28 and still has at least 5 good years left.

Not only that but if Miller doesn't resign with the Blues they don't have a goaltender.

Halak wasn't even good enough to be named the undisputed starter for most of his tenure in St.Louis and Montreal. He's never been a starter in the NHL and he's 28.

As far as that statement goes back it up. You say it like if LA faced the Blues its an automatic loss for the Blues. Why is that?

The Blues aren't trying to win in 5 years they are a force of a team trying to win now so age doesn't matter.

Halak played for the Blues and sports a save percentage of .917 on the team that allows the 2nd fewest shots on net in the entire NHL.

Miller played for the Sabres who allow the 3rd most shots in the NHL and has a save percentage of .923.

Congrats you are arguing that a goalie with 1 good season who is having a decent year with a team that heavily protects him is better than a goalie who has better stats on a team that is horrible and gives him no protection.

And as far as your Olympic argument goes look up Antero Niittymaki. MVP on a Silver medal team with amazing stats that almost gave them gold. Yet he was a subpar goalie. Explain that?

I don't think St Louis gave up as much as some folks here seem to perceive.

They gave up an overpaid and over-rated 'powerforward' that they were shopping because he was a poor fit for their particular style of puck possession hockey.

They gave up an average pending UFA goaltender.

They gave up a 27-30th overall pick and a 81-90th overall pick.

Meh.

Archived