The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

I just get worried with his injury history. Theres definitely risk on every player I get that but with Tulo he's had a bad injury history and he gets paid the most. Is Tulo at 20 million dollars a better option than Goins + 19.5 dollars in the rotation and pen?

Its like you could have Goins, Samardizja, O'Day + all the prospects you could get for Tulo all under the same budget. All I'm saying is if we are tight on the budget something like this could be a nice option.

Why are you worried about the budget at all? The 'salary cap' in baseball is not a hurdle. You can spend 500 million in salaries if you wanted. You just pay a luxury tax back to the league.

Luxury Tax

Technically called the “Competitive Balance Tax”, the Luxury Tax is the punishment that large market teams get for spending too much money. While MLB does not have a set salary cap, the luxury tax charges teams with high payrolls a considerable amount of money, giving teams ample reason to want to keep their payrolls below that level.

The luxury tax remained relatively unchanged in the new CBA. The threshold level for the luxury tax will be $178 million in both 2012 and 2013 (the same as it was in 2011), and will be raised to $189 million from 2014-2016. And offenders will be charged the following tax rates, depending on how many years in a row they have been above the threshold:

First time: 17.5%
Second time: 30%
Third time: 40%
Fourth time and higher: 50%

Any team that drops below the threshold will reset their luxury tax rate, dropping them back down to the first time rate (17.5%) if they should happen to go over the threshold again in the future.

Money raised through the luxury tax is set aside for industry development — not revenue sharing, as is commonly thought. It is distributed as such: the first $2.5 million is reserved for potential refunds, and then 75% is given to fund player benefits and 25% goes to the Industry Growth Fund (Biz of Baseball).

Edited by RonMexico

MLSE is joint Rogers and Bell so they are co-majority owners aren't they?

Blue Jays are Rogers majority owned, Bell has no stake. 

Argos are going to be bought by Larry Tannenbaum's Kilmer Sports and Bell Canada (Whom owns TSN and is the holder of the broadcast rights to the CFL.) 

RonMexico I'm talking about the self imposed cap of course. The blue jays have been known for sticking around the 135 million mark not 500 million. With everybody wanting Price resigned plus other pitchers pushes the teams budget to way over what they've been known to stick around.

Edited by flickyoursedin

Shapiro sounds like a real dick. He's all upset with AA for all the prospects he gave up. It worked out very well. Fracking Rogers why out of all the people did they hire this loser from Cleveland. If he decides to he wants to rebuild then watch the fans boycott the team. It makes no sense to mess with the team as they are 1-2 players (pitching) for going all the way and winning it. The only could good to come out of this is if Gibbons hopefully leaves now with AA gone or Shapiro doesn't want him and wants his own manager.

What is up with Jays exercising Dickey $12 Million option. He's old, tired and isn't worth that kind of money. If they wanted to bring him back do it a much lower salary. That $12 million could have been spent better elsewhere like on trying to re-sign Price.

Edited by the last outlaw
  • Upvote 1

Rogers are complete idiots. I hope they sell the team. Worst company in Canada.

Looks like they want to screw with a good thing. Glad I don't have any of their services.

There going to lose a bunch of money from fans they just got.

Edited by Xbox

Rogers are complete idiots. I hope they sell the team. Worst company in Canada.

amen if they truly back out and don't go for it, would be so idiotic.

...Blackhawks lost to Detroit during the 08/09 season in the conference finals. Chicago should have rebuilt / apply Blue Jays (Rogers) logic.

...Blackhawks lost to Detroit during the 08/09 season in the conference finals. Chicago should have rebuilt / apply Blue Jays (Rogers) logic.

I think it's because Rogers is cheap. NYY doesn't even look like they're ready to contend so nows the best time to go for it. I, and I hope many other fans will boycott the team if ownership screws it up. That's so unfair to the fans. If that happens, I hope MTL gets a team and AA is GM.

Edited by Xbox

I think it's because Rogers are cheap. NYY doesn't even look like they're ready to contend so nows the best time to go for it. I, and I hope many other fans will boycott the team if ownership screws it up. That's so unfair to the fans. If that happens, I hope MTL gets a team and AA is GM.

I'll never get any Rogers services ever again. 

I think with this new hands on president  they are going to go back to the cheapo route that Rogers like so much...Shapiro is showing signs of this already by supposedly already coming down on AA for his trades and cleaning the prospect cupboard.

If they do decide to go the cheapo route they'll obviously see their profits shrink relative to the 2nd half of this season. Anyone can say what they will about bandwagon fans but when times are good they (and hardcore fans) will happily shell out $$$ for tickets and merchandise. 

It just doesn't make sense to me why they would backtrack so soon after what just happened, especially after the insane playoff/success drought post '93.

It's not about being a bandwagon fan, it's about not wanting to pay and show up for a crappy product. This year the Jays were going all in and I was happy to buy merchandise. Why would I support mediocrity?

I didn't mean to say that in an attack towards people perceived as such, and wholeheartedly agree with your sentiment. Was just saying that a good product draws revenue in from folk who would not ordinarily contribute.

It's not about being a bandwagon fan, it's about not wanting to pay or support a crappy product. This year the Jays were going all in and I was happy to buy merchandise. Why would I encourage mediocrity? I've been a fan my whole life and been to numerous games, at least 2 a season. I also despise every American MLB team.

Couldnt care less if KC or NYM wins. If it's not Toronto, I don't care. And now Rogers is making it sound like baseball will be back to its 2014 state here. Lovely. Im going off on a rant but I'm sure others are just as pissed.

EDIT: I guess I posted twice? My bad, I was adding more and I thought it was an edit, not a whole new post (still getting used to these new boards). I know you weren't attacking me, I was just defending the "bandwagon" fans. Money is money for ownership, and you get what you pay for. If they spend a lot less, they better be prepared to make a lot less.

Edited by Xbox

Completely agree with Xbox. Pretty much if Rogers doesn't give the support to continue to contend, all indicators point to them packing it in, cashing in with the huge profit they made this year, and being content with mediocrity.

There's no other way to look at it. You have a top 5 team in the league right now, a few more additions and you're a  WS favourite. Top team = continued revenue and support = even more profit. It makes no sense on any level to pull out this far into it. I'll be irate and fuming if they give way now. Would be absolute madness and disgusting. 

Yeah, why give an extra $15m-$30m on the payroll from the norm to be a powerhouse and have an fullhouse every night, ultimately leading to more profit at the end of it from the extra you gave? That would be too easy now wouldn't it. smh, where is the common sense in all of this?

It's not about being a bandwagon fan, it's about not wanting to pay or support a crappy product. This year the Jays were going all in and I was happy to buy merchandise. Why would I encourage mediocrity? I've been a fan my whole life and been to numerous games, at least 2 a season. I also despise every American MLB team.

Couldnt care less if KC or NYM wins. If it's not Toronto, I don't care. And now Rogers is making it sound like baseball will be back to its 2014 state here. Lovely. Im going off on a rant but I'm sure others are just as pissed.

EDIT: I guess I posted twice? My bad, I was adding more and I thought it was an edit, not a whole new post (still getting used to these new boards). I know you weren't attacking me, I was just defending the "bandwagon" fans. Money is money for ownership, and you get what you pay for. If they spend a lot less, they better be prepared to make a lot less.

No worries man, glad it was not received as an attack since it wasn't intended to be one. To be fair I hit "submit" and thought I could have been more clear in my post about my Jays history. I've been a Jays fan since age 10/11, so for 25 years now. I, without any shame at all, consider myself a bandwagon fan because I am not inclined to watch 162 games, or even close to half, during a losing season. Basically that means watching 10-15 games a year and reading more news updates than anything else. 

The team puts a good, exciting product on the field? I'm in. 

Completely agree with Xbox. Pretty much if Rogers doesn't give the support to continue to contend, all indicators point to them packing it in, cashing in with the huge profit they made this year, and being content with mediocrity.

There's no other way to look at it. You have a top 5 team in the league right now, a few more additions and you're a  WS favourite. Top team = continued revenue and support = even more profit. It makes no sense on any level to pull out this far into it. I'll be irate and fuming if they give way now. Would be absolute madness and disgusting. 

Yeah, why give an extra $15m-$30m on the payroll from the norm to be a powerhouse and have an fullhouse every night, ultimately leading to more profit at the end of it from the extra you gave? That would be too easy now wouldn't it. smh, where is the common sense in all of this?

I know right? I went to a playoff game (G2) and a game in August and the atmosphere was incredible. I've never been to such an exciting event before, and that includes a Bruins @ Habs playoff game. I will not support Rogers at all if they just cash it in and call it a day. That's heartbreaking to every fan. What do we do at that point? Pray MTL gets a team I guess. 

I agree GB, that's why it'll be heartbreaking if they just destroy it all. I wouldnt be able to watch baseball anymore seeing all of my teams star players on the other team. 

Edited by Xbox

I'm not going to criticize AA for cutting those deals.  A franchise that misses for that many years is on virtual life support where their fanbase's 'spirit' is concerned.

They needed that, perhaps even if the cost is part of their future.  They  also arguably owed it to guys like JB and EE.

So I think chalking up AA's moves to attempts to save himself in the short run, or cash in on an alternative opportunity, would imo be reductive.  And really, they were a hit with a runner in scoring position away from pushing a steamroller to game 7.   Not a bad gamble in the end, and regardless, revitalized a soporific market.

But unfortunately, at the end of the day, they are MLSE.  If anyone can frack up a franchise, I'd hand it to them.

I can only criticize from an armchair, but the only deal I didn't like at the time was the Syndergaard for RA move. Yes, RA had a great 2nd half, but man, you give up a good young man for someone with max 2 years left in their career.