The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

I can live with the appointment of Lacava.   I like the fact he's been a longtime scout, analytics guy, director of player development and then AGM - as well as the fact he appears quite loyal to the Jays having turned down a GM opportunity with Baltimore years ago to remain with the Jays.

I think this was a wise move by Shapiro to keep as much of this team's identity intact as possible - including bringing back Gibbons, whether or not some people disagree with some of his gameplanning (which is inevitable imo).  I think they need to do likewise with their player personnel - focusing on returning Estrada and possibly Price, so that the momentum this team built appears to keep stride. 

However, if this is a promotion in name where Shapiro himself constantly muddles in the business of the GM, it could get annoying in a hurry.

Not fond of the tone of Shapiro's statements to the effect that he'd effectively have limited Anthopolous' decision making - as if no GM has a final say in the deals they negotiate. 

My first thoughts when AA didn't pan out was that they should follow suit with what Vancouver (Canucks) did.  When they parted ways with Gillis and AV, they lost a couple very competent hockey people, but (forgetting the Tortorella failed experiment) they remained in keeping with the franchise's identity and secured Linden and Benning, which imo made that transition fairly effective.

I like the fact that in this respect the Jays have promoted from within and hope this is not simply short term ('interim') window dressing or a case of a GM with a partial jurisdiction while a President attempts to simultaneously wear two hats.   

Edited by oldnews

There's something we aren't being let in on [yet] about AA's decision not to return. Both he and Shapiro are saying both all the right things, yet nothing, all at once.

I wouldn't be surprised if AA's real beef is with Edward Rogers, the Jays chairman. AA is a total Beeston guy, that with him gone, maybe AA felt he wouldn't be shielded from ownership anymore....and Shapiro will probably side with ownership everytime as he's brand new to the whole organization. Recall that Rogers went behind Beeston's back last year (or was it this offseason) to look for his replacement..called up Jerry Reinsdorf (whom they didn't know is Beeston's buddy) to inquire on a member of his staff. Well Reinsdorf goes and tells Beeston afterwards and asks if he's aware that he's being replaced behind his back like that. 

Bad joo joo there Rogers.