The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

55 minutes ago, Beary Sweet said:

What happen to my boy? I swear if anything happens to him, I'm going to murder whoever touches his body:P. We need him this season to continue pitching lights out in the 9th inning of games and 4 out saves if necessary

He's fine but the Italian batters weren't biting on a freaking thing he tossed, so he was replaced after allowing 2 runs. To be fair, the D committed 2 pretty terrible errors as well. Eventually Italy came back from 4 down in the bottom of the 9th to upset Mexico and win the game. It was pretty crazy.

Sounds like David Price isn't a fan of playing in Boston

Q. So Satchel Paige always said, “Don’t look back, something might be gaining on you.” So why are you still looking behind you on this 0-8 (playoff record) thing?

A. It’s what’s going to be said. If I say it first, what do you have to say about me? You have nothing to say about me personally. That’s the only thing you have to say.

Q. Tell me something about you that people don’t know. Surprise me.

A. People in Boston don’t know anything about me. The only thing I have to do is pitch good. People don’t care about what I do or the type of person that I am. That doesn’t matter.

Q. It matters to me.

A. It doesn’t matter to these people in Boston. I’ve got to go out there and earn respect by pitching well. Period. That’s the only thing that’s going to turn the page for me in Boston. I’ve got to go out there and dominate. People don’t care what I do off the field.

Q. You don’t think they care if you’re a good person or not?

A. No, no chance. They don’t care. If they care, I wouldn’t have went through all that crap that I went through last year. If they cared. Period. You have to be in my shoes. If you lived it . . .

Q. What size are your shoes?

A. 13½. If you lived it and you told me they cared, OK. If you experienced it on a day-to-day basis — everything — you wouldn’t think that. They don’t care. I’m David Price the pitcher; I’m not a person.

Q. You’re David Price, the human being.

A. Oh, I appreciate that, but you’re not everybody in Boston.

Edited by Xbox

6 hours ago, Moonshinefe said:

He's fine but the Italian batters weren't biting on a freaking thing he tossed, so he was replaced after allowing 2 runs. To be fair, the D committed 2 pretty terrible errors as well. Eventually Italy came back from 4 down in the bottom of the 9th to upset Mexico and win the game. It was pretty crazy.

I tuned in with the Mexicans still up by 2. Osuna had a man on 2nd and no-one out, then proceeded to load the bases before getting the hook.

I agree with your assessment. The Italian batters showed terrific discipline at the plate. Roberto wasn't pitching that poorly, but there were several borderline pitches taken that we're used to seeing batters swing at and miss. I don't believe in conspiracy theories, but the Italians also seemed to know what was coming every time he threw an off speed pitch. Lots of good takes and/or spoils for the Italian hitters.

BTW: Was that team Italy, or every MLB player who happens to have an Italian last name?

4 hours ago, Xbox said:

Sounds like David Price isn't a fan of playing in Boston

Q. So Satchel Paige always said, “Don’t look back, something might be gaining on you.” So why are you still looking behind you on this 0-8 (playoff record) thing?

A. It’s what’s going to be said. If I say it first, what do you have to say about me? You have nothing to say about me personally. That’s the only thing you have to say.

Q. Tell me something about you that people don’t know. Surprise me.

A. People in Boston don’t know anything about me. The only thing I have to do is pitch good. People don’t care about what I do or the type of person that I am. That doesn’t matter.

Q. It matters to me.

A. It doesn’t matter to these people in Boston. I’ve got to go out there and earn respect by pitching well. Period. That’s the only thing that’s going to turn the page for me in Boston. I’ve got to go out there and dominate. People don’t care what I do off the field.

Q. You don’t think they care if you’re a good person or not?

A. No, no chance. They don’t care. If they care, I wouldn’t have went through all that crap that I went through last year. If they cared. Period. You have to be in my shoes. If you lived it . . .

Q. What size are your shoes?

A. 13½. If you lived it and you told me they cared, OK. If you experienced it on a day-to-day basis — everything — you wouldn’t think that. They don’t care. I’m David Price the pitcher; I’m not a person.

Q. You’re David Price, the human being.

A. Oh, I appreciate that, but you’re not everybody in Boston.

Yeah I read this yesterday he doesn't seem to happy being there tbh, feels like the fans don't appreciate him for who he is. Still when your going to a big market like Boston or Yankees, they want wins they don't care how your feeling.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Yeah I read this yesterday he doesn't seem to happy being there tbh, feels like the fans don't appreciate him for who he is. Still when your going to a big market like Boston or Yankees, they want wins they don't care how your feeling.  

Potential opt out at the end of 2018? Come to the Jays :)

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

My buddy went to a game at Fenway against the Yankees, said he was sitting by the yanks pen and it was absolutely horrible. They were yelling stuff at the yanks pitchers like " hey Clemons your kid sucks my **** you f'n loser" and he said it wasn't just one fan... it was like 500 yelling lots of vulgar stuff.

Lol I'd imagine they'd have to spend lots of money on a psychologist to not absolutely rage. You might hear Toronto fans yell stuff like " you suck, eh"

21 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

My buddy went to a game at Fenway against the Yankees, said he was sitting by the yanks pen and it was absolutely horrible. They were yelling stuff at the yanks pitchers like " hey Clemons your kid sucks my **** you f'n loser" and he said it wasn't just one fan... it was like 500 yelling lots of vulgar stuff.

Lol I'd imagine they'd have to spend lots of money on a psychologist to not absolutely rage. You might hear Toronto fans yell stuff like " you suck, eh"

Doesn't surprise me tbh, Boston people are ruthless. I've told this story on here before but, when I was at Seattle watching a Yankees game, Mariano Riveras last year. I went to the Yankees bullpen to watch him warm up, the place was surrounded by Yankee fans. Anyways because I was drunk and like to start stuff I started yelling "Go Mariners Go", man the looks I got finally someone said your cheering in the wrong area, so I said "No you're cheering in the wrong stadium", kind of stumped him, but looking around everyone was pissed so I walked away lol.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Doesn't surprise me tbh, Boston people are ruthless. I've told this story on here before but, when I was at Seattle watching a Yankees game, Mariano Riveras last year. I went to the Yankees bullpen to watch him warm up, the place was surrounded by Yankee fans. Anyways because I was drunk and like to start stuff I started yelling "Go Mariners Go", man the looks I got finally someone said your cheering in the wrong area, so I said "No you're cheering in the wrong stadium", kind of stumped him, but looking around everyone was pissed so I walked away lol.

Lol perfect.

I've always said, he just didn't seem right in Boston, and that he was a bit "heart-broken" when the Jays decided to move on without even talking to his agent about a possible return. He was beloved by the fans in Toronto, and you can tell he genuinely loved playing for the Jays. 

Not talking to Price's camping about a return is just bad management. Even if he decides to sign elsewhere, or you think there's little chance of him returning. You still need to offer him something, even if it's a low-ball offer. Him rejecting it, would only look bad on his part, after saying Toronto is his first choice.

Get well soon, @ChuckNORRIS4Cup. On another note, if Price somehow has an opt out option, he would immediately be interested in returning here because of his desire to stay during his 2015 free agency. He isn't great in the playoffs but I hope he turns it around quick. Meh I think he's grossly overpaid by the Sox and he should be only making around $25 million. He's a great pitcher no questions asked during the regular season but people will always refer to his playoff record as to why and how he ended up with so much money. Hope he turns it around in the postseason. He was great when he was around couple years ago which seems like a long time ago

Edited by Beary Sweet
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, shiznak said:

I've always said, he just didn't seem right in Boston, and that he was a bit "heart-broken" when the Jays decided to move on without even talking to his agent about a possible return. He was beloved by the fans in Toronto, and you can tell he genuinely loved playing for the Jays. 

Not talking to Price's camping about a return is just bad management. Even if he decides to sign elsewhere, or you think there's little chance of him returning. You still need to offer him something, even if it's a low-ball offer. Him rejecting it, would only look bad on his part, after saying Toronto is his first choice.

This post is a good example of why you and I are so often at odds in this thread. Generally, I think you're a pretty knowledgeable baseball guy, but tendency to want to criticize management for inconsequential things honestly baffles me.

Everyone knew that Price was going to get a huge contract on the open market. Even a discounted contract with the Jays would have been more money and more term than they could afford. it also would have meant that either Happ or Estrada would (maybe both) would not have been signed.

I said it at the time, while Price might provide decent return on investment for a year or two, his contract could end up being a huge albatross in the later years. The Red Sox can afford to carry such a contract without it adversely affecting their ability to sign other players. 

The Jays can not, especially with the prospect of having to re-sign Aaron Sanchez in the not too distant future.

IMO, Jays' management made a smart decision in not pursuing Price in free agency, yet you seem to believe that we should be critical of what you admit would have been a futile gesture.I honestly wonder if you spend all your time and effort looking for reasons to criticize Jays' management.

I know this post is probably going to come off as insulting, but it isn't intended to be. It's an honest assessment and I honestly don't understand your level of disdain for Shapiro and Atkins.