The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

3 hours ago, Xbox said:

Probably could have won at least 1 game if they had Saunders, Martin and Votto

I agree. They would've stacked well against the mediocre countries like Columbia, Israel maybe although they've been a surprise of the tourney so far and incredible how far they've made it. They could've contended with the like of Cuba and the US at least. Do you know by chance why the trio didn't take part in WBC?

Edited by Beary Sweet
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Beary Sweet said:

I agree. They would've stacked well against the mediocre countries like Columbia, Israel maybe although they've been a surprise of the tourney so far and incredible how far they've made it. They could've contended with the like of Cuba and the US at least. Do you know by chance why the trio didn't take part in WBC?

Martin and Saunders was due to insurance and Votto declined 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Xbox said:

Martin and Saunders was due to insurance and Votto declined 

Ahh. They would've done wonders for Canada. Dempster came out of retirement just to pitch for his country. At least he put up a fight and kept the score respectable for Canada. Not sure about Freddie Freeman though if he took part or not but he would have helped Canada as well. Had a solid season for the Braves last season. He would've been a threat every AB for sure. Good with the bat and flashes the leather at 1st too. Oh well better luck next time I guess for Canada

3 hours ago, Beary Sweet said:

Ahh. They would've done wonders for Canada. Dempster came out of retirement just to pitch for his country. At least he put up a fight and kept the score respectable for Canada. Not sure about Freddie Freeman though if he took part or not but he would have helped Canada as well. Had a solid season for the Braves last season. He would've been a threat every AB for sure. Good with the bat and flashes the leather at 1st too. Oh well better luck next time I guess for Canada

Freddie was on the team, but didn't provided any offense. I think he was 1 for 11 or something.

Even though this probably be his only time representing Team Canada. Got to give him mad props, doing this for his late mother, it  must've been difficult. This guy deserve a standing ovation, when the Braves come to TO. 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Pears said:

So of all the things that make you go "WTF", this one is at the very top: Rougned Odor just bat flipped after a single. I'll say it again. ROUGNED ODOR just BAT FLIPPED after a SINGLE. 

Ummmm, by any chance would that have been the one that bounced off the top of the wall and was reviewed to see if it was a home run or not?

5 hours ago, shiznak said:

Freddie was on the team, but didn't provided any offense. I think he was 1 for 11 or something.

Even though this probably be his only time representing Team Canada. Got to give him mad props, doing this for his late mother, it  must've been difficult. This guy deserve a standing ovation, when the Braves come to TO. 

Can't make it to T.O. this summer Shizzy. But I promise to stand up off my couch on his first AB....B)

9 hours ago, Beary Sweet said:

Oh well. I'm sure any MLB calibre players would have made Canada better. From what I've read they don't qualify for the next Tourney since they don't have a W this year.

1 hour ago, Xbox said:

Oh well. I'm sure any MLB calibre players would have made Canada better. From what I've read they don't qualify for the next Tourney since they don't have a W this year.

They don't automatically qualify. As I understand it, they can play a qualifying tournament and still get in. they'd probably be up against teams like Panama, Australia, Spain, Brazil, etc.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

They don't automatically qualify. As I understand it, they can play a qualifying tournament and still get in. they'd probably be up against teams like Panama, Australia, Spain, Brazil, etc.

Thanks for clarifying Rupe!

18 minutes ago, Xbox said:

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/03/jake-arrieta-young-players-bat-flip-cubs-mlb-jose-bautista

This is relevant today because of the Odor Bat Flip on a Single vs. Italy incident.

It's a week old, but this is the 2nd time now it has felt like the Cubs have had the Jays backs. Love that franchise and their fans tbh.

Yeah, I saw that. There was also a comment from MLBPA director and former Tiger tony Clark that supported Jose. There was also support from Jason Kipnis, right after the initial flap from the "traditionalists". (and of course, anyone remotely connected to the Texas Rangers)

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Yeah, I saw that. There was also a comment from MLBPA director and former Tiger tony Clark that supported Jose. There was also support from Jason Kipnis, right after the initial flap from the "traditionalists". (and of course, anyone remotely connected to the Texas Rangers)

Refreshing to see. I still can't believe Roughned Odor bat flipped last night lmao

And so it begins.....

Boras calls out Blue Jays for handling of Sanchez's contract

The agent believes his client, starting pitcher Aaron Sanchez deserved a substantial raise. Instead, Sanchez's contract was renewed for the major-league minimum $535,000 for 2017. Boras considers the move unfair and inadequate based on Sanchez's performance, Shi Davidi of Sportsnet reports

"They offered him a very small raise above the minimum, which is not commensurate to his performance peers," Boras said. "Some teams have very low payment standards but they say if you renew we understand, but you still keep the money we’re giving you. Toronto is so rigid, they not only have a very antiquated or substandard policy compared to the other teams for extraordinary performance, but if you don’t accept what that low standard is, they then have the poison pill of saying, you get paid the minimum. It’s the harshest treatment in baseball that any club could provide for a player. That’s why few teams have such a policy."

Blue Jays general manager Ross Atkins sees the situation differently. The Blue Jays offered Sanchez a raise, and Sanchez turned it down. The result was based on a longstanding team policy.

"This is a policy that was put in place 10 years ago," Atkins said. "I don’t see it as punitive, we don’t see it as punitive because it’s your choice to not accept the higher number."

http://www.thescore.com/news/1250743

Edited by ChuckNORRIS4Cup

10 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

And so it begins.....

Boras calls out Blue Jays for handling of Sanchez's contract

The agent believes his client, starting pitcher Aaron Sanchez deserved a substantial raise. Instead, Sanchez's contract was renewed for the major-league minimum $535,000 for 2017. Boras considers the move unfair and inadequate based on Sanchez's performance, Shi Davidi of Sportsnet reports

"They offered him a very small raise above the minimum, which is not commensurate to his performance peers," Boras said. "Some teams have very low payment standards but they say if you renew we understand, but you still keep the money we’re giving you. Toronto is so rigid, they not only have a very antiquated or substandard policy compared to the other teams for extraordinary performance, but if you don’t accept what that low standard is, they then have the poison pill of saying, you get paid the minimum. It’s the harshest treatment in baseball that any club could provide for a player. That’s why few teams have such a policy."

Blue Jays general manager Ross Atkins sees the situation differently. The Blue Jays offered Sanchez a raise, and Sanchez turned it down. The result was based on a longstanding team policy.

"This is a policy that was put in place 10 years ago," Atkins said. "I don’t see it as punitive, we don’t see it as punitive because it’s your choice to not accept the higher number."

http://www.thescore.com/news/1250743

Hope that doesn't poison the relationship.

Why would they offer Sanchez more money than they have to if Boras isn't willing to commit past his arbitration years? That makes no sense for the team whatsoever. 

Who cares anymore we all know he wont be on the Jays come 2021. There's nothing to preserve.

Edited by Xbox

1 hour ago, gurn said:

Hope that doesn't poison the relationship.

This is just Boras trying to make his statement to the Jays basically, that it's going to cost them big money coming up if they want to keep Sanchez. It sucks but we kind of knew it was coming after Sanchez got Boras as his agent, Boras's record speaks for itself. 

Sanchez knows and I know the Jays will try and offer him the lowest or maybe they will just pull a Price and not even offer him anything.... Anyways as mentioned this is just the start, more will happen throughout the year as a scare tactic that Boras will try and use towards the Jays.

Speaking of relationships, after Sanchez hired Boras that's when the bro love of Sanchez and Stroman split up, I guess Stro feels he is going for greed, but Sanchez is just playing his cards right imo.

Edited by ChuckNORRIS4Cup
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

This is just Boras trying to make his statement to the Jays basically, that it's going to cost them big money coming up if they want to keep Sanchez. It sucks but we kind of knew it was coming after Sanchez got Boras as his agent, Boras's record speaks for itself. 

Sanchez knows and I know the Jays will try and offer him the lowest or maybe they will just pull a Price and not even offer him anything.... Anyways as mentioned this is just the start, more will happen throughout the year as a scare tactic that Boras will try and use towards the Jays.

Speaking of relationships, after Sanchez hired Boras that's when the bro love of Sanchez and Stroman split up, I guess Stro feels he is going for greed, but Sanchez is just playing his cards right imo.

Sounds about right. If I'm a player id hire Boras as well.

I doubt this will effect how much Boras milks TOR for since it was always going to be the most possible. I expect the Jays to keep giving Aaron minimum as 'punishment' then they'll ship him off in 2020.

Sounds like Boras has real beef with both Toronto and Kansas City since he's been ripping both apart lately.

• Upvote 1

Blue Jays' Pompey shut down with concussion

Toronto Blue Jays general manager Ross Atkins delivered some lousy news Thursday, telling reporters that outfielder Dalton Pompey - vying for a spot on the active roster this spring - has been shut down due to a concussion sustained last week at the World Baseball Classic, according to Arash Madani of Sportsnet.

Pompey, who missed about three weeks in 2016 after suffering a concussion while playing for Triple-A Buffalo, was put through Major League Baseball's concussion protocol after exiting Team Canada's first-round loss to Colombia on Saturday with mild dizziness - the result of a wonky headfirst slide into second base. He'll have to clear the protocol before he can return.

http://www.thescore.com/news/1256326