The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

17 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I like the digital strike zone box. 

I do too, but it's only two dimensional.  The plate has 17 inches of depth (front to back) the digital strike zone doesn't account for.  A pitch may appear high at the front of the plate, but is a strick 17 inches further.  Same for inside and outside.  

On 11/2/2017 at 10:44 AM, TheRick said:

If the Blue Jays need a starting pitcher, they can sign Darvish for cheap.::D

I also was thinking this as an option for next year, but still he's going to cost a lot, Price got 30M a year without ever winning a playoff game..

On a side note I still remember when Darvish was going to make the move to the MLB and Blue Jays were in the run to aquire him back in 2011, but never happened lol.

Back in 2011.

Japanese sensation Yu Darvish will not be taking his services to Toronto, after it was announced late Monday night that the Rangers won the rights to exclusively negotiate with the powerful right-hander.

Texas won the secret auction with a record bid of $51.7 million according to a report by YahooSports. That money will be given to Darvish's Hokkaido Nippon Ham Fighters team of the Nippon Professional Baseball League in Japan if Texas and Darvish are able to come to terms.

Some Jays moves so far.

Mere hours after the World Series ended, the MLB off-season officially began with 149 players hitting free agency.

Among them: former Toronto Blue JaysDarwin Barney, Brett Anderson, Miguel Montero and Michael Saunders. Jose Bautista will join their ranks as soon as the Blue Jays officially decline his mutual option for 2018.

On 11/3/2017 at 12:32 PM, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I also was thinking this as an option for next year, but still he's going to cost a lot, Price got 30M a year without ever winning a playoff game..

On a side note I still remember when Darvish was going to make the move to the MLB and Blue Jays were in the run to aquire him back in 2011, but never happened lol.

Back in 2011.

Japanese sensation Yu Darvish will not be taking his services to Toronto, after it was announced late Monday night that the Rangers won the rights to exclusively negotiate with the powerful right-hander.

Texas won the secret auction with a record bid of $51.7 million according to a report by YahooSports. That money will be given to Darvish's Hokkaido Nippon Ham Fighters team of the Nippon Professional Baseball League in Japan if Texas and Darvish are able to come to terms.

It's going to happen again:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2695575-shohei-ohtani-the-best-baseball-player-in-the-world-isnt-in-mlbyet

TOKYO — New Year's night, a sparkling "2017" is brightly lit atop the Tokyo Tower, and the possibilities ringing in are endless. Proof? Inside apartments on the city's flat screens, a Japanese League champion and heartthrob is squatting behind a makeshift home plate in a studio attempting to receive his own pitches.

"Best baseball player in the world," one high-ranking official with a major league club flatly has declared back in the United States.

"He's…wow!" one veteran scout with a National League club exclaimed.

"All the stories you hear are real as far as the batting practice power and his ability to throw 100 mph," the international scouting director of another major league club said. "All the stories."

The Jays will be outbid (again) by a big market team, but man, this guy would make a huge impact on the team...

18 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

It's going to happen again:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2695575-shohei-ohtani-the-best-baseball-player-in-the-world-isnt-in-mlbyet

The Jays will be outbid (again) by a big market team, but man, this guy would make a huge impact on the team...

Is this guy the reincarnation of Babe Ruth?  I would love if the Jays got him, but just so long as he’s over here playing is likely good enough.  Really want to see how he fairs in the Big Leagues.

46 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Is this guy the reincarnation of Babe Ruth?  I would love if the Jays got him, but just so long as he’s over here playing is likely good enough.  Really want to see how he fairs in the Big Leagues.

That's the comparison being made, anyway. It's basically because Ohtani is a pitcher who can hit. He seems like an obvious fit on a NL roster, but I've often wondered if the DH rule mandates that the player who doesn't hit has to be the pitcher.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

That's the comparison being made, anyway. It's basically because Ohtani is a pitcher who can hit. He seems like an obvious fit on a NL roster, but I've often wondered if the DH rule mandates that the player who doesn't hit has to be the pitcher.

It does mandate that the position is the pitcher.

2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I’m glad to have a topic we can agree on.  Really looking forward to seeing this guy play.  There was a great Japanese HR King - Sadahara Oh.  If this guy could become a Ruth - Oh hitter?  Wow!  Ichiro, but hitting home runs!  I hope he becomes a hitter, and not a pitcher, like what Ruth did.