The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

Jays finally get a series win, with a 7-4 triumph against Minny. Clay Buchholz is looking like a solid pickup.

Also, Justin Smoak with a 2 run dinger. Hopefully he keeps it up, so the Jays can move him to a contender at the deadline...

12 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

As far as I can tell, the service time issue for Vlad has passed. 171 days is the magic number.

That being said, he just got promoted to AAA. I'm not sure if there are any rules about how long before being promoted another step.

Yes the service time passed last Friday, but what confuses me is saying he was just promoted to AAA, he was promoted there last year and is there again this year right now, obviously it was a short one in AAA last year but still it's not like he just got promoted there this year.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjdkLOSkN3hAhWDHDQIHarADGkQzPwBegQIARAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.tsn.ca%2Fmitchell-guerrero-highly-unlikely-to-debut-tuesday-barring-injury-1.1293350&psig=AOvVaw3ZNHigr3pV3uJekXW-LLx7&ust=1555796607650648

Rumours swirled Friday afternoon that Tuesday night could be the target date to bring Vladimir Guerrero Jr. up to the majors, but it doesn't seem like that's going to happen according to TSN's Scott Mitchell.

Vlad Jr. says 'it’s obvious that I’m ready' for MLB call-up

With Vladimir Guerrero Jr.'s call up to the big leagues likely looming, baseball's top prospect spoke to reporters on Friday and offered his thoughts about potentially playing in the majors soon.

"I’m not frustrated," Guerrero said of still playing with the Triple-A Buffalo Bisons, according to MLB.com's Matt Kelly. "It’s out of my hands. I just continue to play 100 percent, and when the time comes to get the call, I’ll welcome it."

The 20-year-old suffered a left oblique injury during spring training, but he's shown no signs that issue will slow him down.

In nine minor-league games since his injury, he's hit .344/.432/.594 with two homers and seven RBIs in 32 at-bats. He also made a major impression during his first Triple-A game of 2019, crushing an extremely deep home run.

"You can see, it’s obvious that I’m ready," Guerrero said. "I can’t control what happens, I can only control what I can do myself."

His arrival date in the majors remains unknown, and it won't be happening this weekend in Oakland, according to MLB.com's Gregor Chisholm.

Following the series in Oakland, Toronto is off Monday before beginning a two-game set at home against the San Francisco Giants on Tuesday.

Guerrero Jr. said he doesn't care if he debuts at home in front of Blue Jays fans or on the road. He just wants to get the call.

"I’ve been waiting for the call to the majors my whole life," he said. "I’ll continue to play 100 percent, just like in (Class) A ball, Double-A and here in Buffalo."

https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1760432

Edited by ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Not sure if anyone is watching the Jays this afternoon, but Freddy Galvis just made the defensive play of the year. It might even stand all season....

Good news - bad news for the Jays today. Beating up on the As 9-0, but Matt Shoemaker left in the 4th with a knee injury. On the plus side, Sam Gaviglio retired all 12 batters he faced....

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

TSN barely covers the Jays.

Surprise they even have an insider.

Edit: I would also like to say, don’t shoot the messenger. Even though Gomez has been reliable on some cases, he also been wrong on others, like reporting Machado to the White Sox. 

Edited by shiznak

Alright even though I said I'll give them until Tuesday before I get upset if Vlad isn't up, there was also the small opportunity if someone was to get hurt before Tuesday that it could open the door to call him up sooner, so Shoemaker was injured and was placed on the 10 day IL today, but instead of calling up Vlad they decided to recall IF Richard Urena :picard:

12 hours ago, shiznak said:

TSN barely covers the Jays.

Surprise they even have an insider.

Edit: I would also like to say, don’t shoot the messenger. Even though Gomez has been reliable on some cases, he also been wrong on others, like reporting Machado to the White Sox. 

I'll wait for Sportsnets insider before listening to anyone from TSN unless it's Bob McKenzie but that won't happen for Baseball lol.

As for this Gomez guy read some of the replies and some question him but at the same time he does get some insider information by the sounds of it. I think a lot of people were speculating and hoping that it would make sense to have him start his MLB career at home instead of on the road, so like myself I checked when they played at home again and it was Tuesday against the Giants so thought it would make sense to call him up for that.

Don't see any reason for holding him down any longer this crap would not fly if this is how Connor McDavid was treated before playing in the NHL, hey Connor we know you're going to be a great NHL player but you just need to develop the rest of your game we don't care if you score all the time, but even though your projected as the #1 player just keep staying in the AHL to get your game to the top level, we need to develop you more, I'm sorry but that crap would not fly but it's happening in the MLB right now with Vlad, and it's getting on my nerves.

Another "good news - bad news" day for the Jays.

Jays hang on for the 5-4 win and a sweep of Oakland, but Aaron Sanchez has to come out of the game with another fingernail problem and Freddy Galvis hurts his knee trying to make a sliding play on a ground ball in the 9th.

Man I feel bad for Shoemaker.

Report: Blue Jays' Shoemaker done for season with torn ACL

Toronto Blue Jays right-hander Matt Shoemaker will miss the remainder of the 2019 regular season with a torn ACL, reports Ben Nicholson-Smith of Sportsnet.

Shoemaker suffered the injury during a rundown on Saturday against the Oakland Athletics.

The 32-year-old was off to a terrific start for the Blue Jays, authoring a 3-0 record with a 1.57 ERA in 28 2/3 innings.

https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1761563

I think it's time, but I'm not betting the farm on it yet.

Brandon Drury has just started to hit and is a better defensive 3rd baseman. The Jays probably need another pitcher, although Sam Gaviglio's relief appearance when Shoemaker was injured is reason for optimism.

I'm as anxious to see Vlady get called up as anyone, but I don't see any reason for urgency on management's part.