The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Calgary and Vancouver - There's something people are missing.

aqua59

It has occurred to me that Vancouver and Calgary share the same need. Neither team at this point holds a GM. Both need a GM.

Both teams have more or less the same mantra in team philosophy moving forward.

Enter Jim Benning as a GM candidate, for both teams.

Knowing Brian Burke, his hatred towards Vancouver and the fact Vancouver scooped the Sedins from Burke when he was in Toronto before he could even make a pitch for them will have Burke wanting to get Benning more than ever.

If Jim Benning is on Vancouver's list you can bet he's on Calgary's list too if he's as good as advertised.

Burke has stated he does not want to be GM and that he is going to bring some one in. Benning would be a perfect fit in Calgary too. With Burke's ego fueling his moves it will be interesting to see how Linden and company handle themselves.

I'm not saying there won't be other teams after Benning's services but I'm betting Calgary and Vancouver will be taking serious looks at bringing him in.

I'm interested in other people's take on this one. Burke will refuel the Calgary rivalry and
I think it's already started behind the scenes. He'll get Calgary back in the lime light before they tire of his act.

Lets just not forget the Burke factor in this one.

Thoughts?

It has occurred to me that Vancouver and Calgary share the same need. Neither team at this point holds a GM. Both need a GM.

Both teams have more or less the same mantra in team philosophy moving forward.

Enter Jim Benning as a GM candidate, for both teams.

Knowing Brian Burke, his hatred towards Vancouver and the fact Vancouver scooped the Sedins from Burke when he was in Toronto before he could even make a pitch for them will have Burke wanting to get Benning more than ever.

If Jim Benning is on Vancouver's list you can bet he's on Calgary's list too if he's as good as advertised.

Burke has stated he does not want to be GM and that he is going to bring some one in. Benning would be a perfect fit in Calgary too. With Burke's ego fueling his moves it will be interesting to see how Linden and company handle themselves.

I'm not saying there won't be other teams after Benning's services but I'm betting Calgary and Vancouver will be taking serious looks at bringing him in.

I'm interested in other people's take on this one. Burke will refuel the Calgary rivalry and

I think it's already started behind the scenes. He'll get Calgary back in the lime light before they tire of his act.

Lets just not forget the Burke factor in this one.

Thoughts?

Since you kindly asked for thoughts after the remarks you made, I think your theory is the epitomy of stupid. An organization won't hire someone to their staff just to spite another organization, that is just ridiculous. If they were to hire Benning, they would be doing it for their own reasons, none of them being anything to do with our desire for him.

Since you kindly asked for thoughts after the remarks you made, I think your theory is the epitomy of stupid. An organization won't hire someone to their staff just to spite another organization, that is just ridiculous. If they were to hire Benning, they would be doing it for their own reasons, none of them being anything to do with our desire for him.

Stupid? I stated my reason in the fact both teams share the same mantra. Did you get that point? Added with Burkes ego it's not the epitome of stupid nor ridiculous. You need to read closer before you spew. The site is open for intelligent dialog.

Move out of your parents house. That will be a good start for you.

I doubt Benning leaves for Calgary. The rebuilding will be too long and he probably wouldn't be there anyway by the time the franchise is competitive again and wouldn't get the credit, but more importantly he would be doom to fail and pretty much shutting the doors on futur opportunities..

I think Vancouver, albeit there is a lot of work to do also, has a stronger base to rebuild. Wether it's to continue building around an aging, but still capable core (Sedins, Kesler, Bieksa, Hamhuis) or completely selling the core which could land us valuable futur assets.

Calgary has 1 chip and that is Monahan. And it is very likely they won't even get Reinhart, Ekblad or Bennet which is pretty much the undisputed top 3. After them there is a bigger risk.

Stupid? I stated my reason in the fact both teams share the same mantra. Did you get that point? Added with Burkes ego it's not the epitome of stupid nor ridiculous. You need to read closer before you spew. The site is open for intelligent dialog.

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooh!!!!!!

I wouldn't have put it the same way that poster did. But I don't understand why you think Burke's ego has anything to do with anything. Burke maybe a pompous loudmouth but he is going to hire the guy that he feels comfortable with. If that guy is Benning then Burke will go after him hard. It maybe possible that the Canucks and Flames chase after the same guy but I doubt Burke's list of potential candidates has anything to do with Vancouver's.

Edit: Also based on the usual trend, Burke is just waiting for Nonis to get fired in Toronto. Then Nonis will take up GM duties in Calgary.

Your theory is stupid, but you should be better able to accept criticism if you want to create a thread with people actually responding. Be aware a stupid theory isn't necessarily a reflection on your overall intelligence, nor does calling one something mean calling you the same.

If they want Benning, they'll have as much opportunity to go after any available candidate as we will (unless a team refuses to let a candidate speak with one or the other). Burke won't hire someone just to spite us.

Brian Burke would probably hire Benning? Why? Not because of the growing rivalry between us and Calgary, it's because he wants to bring in a GM that can help make his team better. Just because Calgary and Vancouver don't like each other as well as both teams trying get Benning doesn't mean that Burke is trying to raise the rivalry by hiring Benning first or something among those lines. I wouldn't be surprised if Calgary does hire Benning. But it would be better for us if he came to Vancouver than Calgary.

Brian Burke would probably hire Benning? Why? Not because of the growing rivalry between us and Calgary, it's because he wants to bring in a GM that can help make his team better. Just because Calgary and Vancouver don't like each other as well as both teams trying get Benning doesn't mean that Burke is trying to raise the rivalry by hiring Benning first or something among those lines. I wouldn't be surprised if Calgary does hire Benning. But it would be better for us if he came to Vancouver than Calgary.

It's the point people have missed. All I've stated, like you have stated is that Calgary is in the mix for Benning. And yes Brukes ego is involved, why? Because he's in Calgary.

Maybe that's what you meant, but it's not what the original post is saying. You've intimated by saying Burke was all upset in Toronto over the Sedins that it'd be a point of pride for him to go after a candidate just because they're a candidate for the Canucks GM position.

No one's forgotten there will be other competition for good people in front office spots, whatever you think people are missing.

It's the point people have missed. All I've stated, like you have stated is that Calgary is in the mix for Benning. And yes Brukes ego is involved, why? Because he's in Calgary.

If Calgary is in the mix for Benning, why didn't Burke go after him months ago? You don't have to wait until the season is over to ask another team for permission to talk to their assistant GMs.

The rising rivalry between us and Calgary is growing. Especially since Burke dissed Torts

Archived