The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] VAN aquires Derek Dorsett

I like the trade. Losing the 3rd rounder doesn't really hurt at all and Willie coached Dorsett in junior and got some pretty good numbers out of him. It wouldn't be that surprising to see him get 20 points with the Canucks this season.

You could move both your 3rd rounders for a 2nd rounder, or even move a 3rd rounder, with a 2nd rounder, to get a 1st rounder. In my opinion, the first 3 rounds are where you can get valuable prospects. There's no way that Dorsett is worth a 3rd rounder. We traded Weise for Diaz, who we later traded away for a 5th round pick. I guess i'm alright with the Kesler trade considering there weren't many teams involved. I guess i'm alright with the Garrison trade even though i don't think we got maximum value there. But this trade is laughable.

What?

What GM would accept two 3rds for a 2nd? This all depends on what position these picks are in.. I don't think any GM would do a 2nd+3rd for a 1st unless it was like (31+61) for the 30th....

No way in hell are you getting a top 25 pick for a 2nd/3rd, unless the second is like 31-33.

What?

What GM would accept two 3rds for a 2nd? This all depends on what position these picks are in.. I don't think any GM would do a 2nd+3rd for a 1st unless it was like (31+61) for the 30th....

No way in hell are you getting a top 25 pick for a 2nd/3rd, unless the second is like 31-33.

Maybe you should look back at a couple of drafts then. It's very common that you trade down to get more picks. Ofc it has to be an early 2nd and an early 3rd round pick if that's gonna work. You're severely underrating the value of draft picks. Especially a 3rd round pick. There are a lot of NHL players who got drafted out of the 3rd round.

Dorsett was a valuable player for CBJ. In 2011-2012 he played over 14 minutes per game, 19 fighting majors, 12 goals (137 shots), 199 hits, spent a decent amount of time killing penalties.

He wasn't very good last season, but if we get close to the Dorsett from CBJ this is a great trade and really shows that Linden meant it when he said being a four line team.

Maybe you should look back at a couple of drafts then. It's very common that you trade down to get more picks. Ofc it has to be an early 2nd and an early 3rd round pick if that's gonna work. You're severely underrating the value of draft picks. Especially a 3rd round pick. There are a lot of NHL players who got drafted out of the 3rd round.

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, i understand the value of picks very well.

But if you're saying we could get a 1st with the 2nd/3rd that WE HAD, no fricken' way.

This is also a very terrible draft after the 1st round, as scouts have said for the past like 2 years. No big loss here. Dorsett will be playing 82 games for us barring injury. I'd do that trade any day of the week.

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, i understand the value of picks very well.

But if you're saying we could get a 1st with the 2nd/3rd that WE HAD, no fricken' way.

This is also a very terrible draft after the 1st round, as scouts have said for the past like 2 years. No big loss here. Dorsett will be playing 82 games for us barring injury. I'd do that trade any day of the week.

If a team doesn't want a player at their spot later in the 1st round, then there's definitely a possibility that they trade down maybe 8 spots or so, and get a 3rd rounder. Since we have an early 2nd rounder, it could've been a possibility for sure. If you don't like the top players available at your spot, trading down makes a lot of sense, and it's also very common.

Compared to Garrison, Costello & 7th for a 2nd makes Dorsett for a 3rd seem like a pretty big overpayment. I'm not saying that Dorsett isn't good or might be a very good fit here. Juts feels like either Garry, even if a cap dump, was not a good enough trade. Or then we payed too much for Dorsett, who I can't imagine being more than a 4th liner (not a bad thing at all, but still)

Archived