The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] VAN aquires Derek Dorsett

Dorsett is a guy who can play in his own zone and on the PK while being on the 4th line. With Sestito and Richardsson we possibly have a 10 minute per night 4th line now!

I like this trade only because the draft this year is fairly weak and swapping a low 3rd rounder is fine.

Sestito and Dorsett reunited?? Bang bros with Mirasty and Konopka back in Syracuse

prerequisite to signing Boyle? that fourth line was the Rags best on many nights this postseason.

or a guy like Konopka - great faceoff guy.

A 3rd may seem steep, and he is a UFA next year, but Dorsett is the type of player who can rack up a couple hundred hits with fourth line minutes, score 10 goals (with very little ozone starts), and drive people nuts.

He's also a Saskatchewan guy, and as mentioned, will be reunited with W.D., who is also pretty familiar with Luca Sbisa from the W.

You acquire 4th liners that are hard to play against when you are a contending team missing that element, not when you are a lottery team.

Derek Dorsett doesn't make us a playoff team.

THORNTON - RICHARDSON - DORSETT

That will be a great line for Vancouver and it will pay dividend as of this upcoming season. The Canucks are not as bad as they were last year. Last year was a super anomaly that will take other teams off guard. This Benning team is going to play HARD. It will surprise many.

THORNTON - RICHARDSON - DORSETT

That will be a great line for Vancouver and it will pay dividend as of this upcoming season. The Canucks are not as bad as they were last year. Last year was a super anomaly that will take other teams off guard. This Benning team is going to play HARD. It will surprise many.

The team (roster wise) this year is definitely worse. I don't see how it isn't.

Kesler > Bonino

Garrison > Sbisa

And last year we had Lui for alot of the year.

I think there is a slight possibility that we could sneak into the playoffs if we can bring in some more offensive help and start utilizing players to there strengths more, but right now I just don't think it was a smart move to overpay for Dorsett like we did.

We got Cassels last year with our 3rd pick, imagine missing out on a prospect like him next year.

To all the nay-sayers, I am sure JB, being with Boston over the past few years, and WD, who coached him previously, know Dorsett better than any of you. JB knows the importance of having 4 lines that can play and he needs to add serviceable 4th liners who can play 10min a game!!!

Kesler < Bonino

Garrison < Sbisa

I think there is a slight possibility that we could sneak into the playoffs if we can bring in some more offensive help and start utilizing players to there strengths more, but right now I just don't think it was a smart move to overpay for Dorsett like we did.

We got Cassels last year with our 3rd pick, imagine missing out on a prospect like him next year.

You do know you just said Bonino, Sbisa are better than Garrison, Kesler right?

I like this pick up.

He can play the PK as well efficiently despite he also does a lot of PIMS himself.

Great agitator, you need guys like those, Burrows just hasn't done that anymore and this team needs that mix of players who are willing to talk smack and bring it physically. A little spark plug he is.

Kesler < Bonino

Garrison < Sbisa

Bonino had more points than Kesler. And Kesler didn't exactly carry this team on his back the last few seasons.

If he plays on the Canucks resurgent powerplay with the Sedins and Edler, I don't see why he can't put up close to 50 again.

Garrison was just brutal in his own zone. Not all that physical either. Sbisa is still young enough that he can be molded into a rugged stay at home D-man.

There's also a good chance we sign a top 6 and a goalie in free agency.

No they aren't.

Garrison is a top 4 Dman, Sbisa was a healthy scratch at times for the Ducks.

And Kesler is clearly better than Bonino, offensively they are comparable (and believe me I really like Bonino, and have for awhile), but aside from that Kesler is better, IMO.

He's pointing out that you said "<" (is less than) instead of ">" (is greater than), which is the opposite of your opinion.

No they aren't.

Garrison is a top 4 Dman, Sbisa was a healthy scratch at times for the Ducks.

And Kesler is clearly better than Bonino, offensively they are comparable (and believe me I really like Bonino, and have for awhile), but aside from that Kesler is better, IMO.

Im glad garrison is gone. Will not miss him missing the net and feebly poking at forwards as they blow by him along the boards.

Bonino had more points than Kesler. And Kesler didn't exactly carry this team on his back the last few seasons.

If he plays on the Canucks resurgent powerplay with the Sedins and Edler, I don't see why he can't put up close to 50 again.

Garrison was just brutal in his own zone. Not all that physical either. Sbisa is still young enough that he can be molded into a rugged stay at home D-man.

There's also a good chance we sign a top 6 and a goalie in free agency.

I think he could hit 50 points next year too, and I also think Kesler could score 30 goals & 60 points next year.

Garrison's struggles were overrated, he wasn't brutal in his own end, he was physical along the boards, had good gap control & a good stick, Sbisa is young, but inconsistent sometimes he plays like a top 4 Dman, sometimes he's a healthy scratch, he's got tools he just needs to put them together, he's a real X factor to this trade, but right now Garrison is the better player.

There might be a chance we get a top 6 guy, who knows, we already lost one in Santorelli so I think its imparative we get top 6 help somehow, we just have to see what we can get. (And I don't really think we need goaltending, its never been a problem)

As of wear it stands right now, we were a better team yesterday IMO.

Although that isn't necessarily a bad thing, we lack starpower in our prospect pool, so finishing with a high pick next year would be great. If we could get a high first next year & end up with a potential #1C or #1D, that would put in a great position moving forward with all the prospects we have assembled thus-far.

He's pointing out that you said "<" (is less than) instead of ">" (is greater than), which is the opposite of your opinion.

Whoops, epic fail on my part.

Im glad garrison is gone. Will not miss him missing the net and feebly poking at forwards as they blow by him along the boards.

I don't mind moving him, I'm not too thrilled about the return though, and I'm also not going to act like he isn't better than Sbisa.

Archived