The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Canucks will make a serious attempt at Iginla

A playoff team? I don't know about that. You have to deal with SJ, ANA, LA, COL, CHI, STL, MIN, and then there's DAL and NSH on the rise. EDM, who the hell knows when they'll finally break out (Although they have zero defence)

Our team isn't exactly in the best position to "remain competitive" with many of those teams I listed either in solid positions or on the rise.

I totally agree with you but at this point it's pretty clear what Tre/Benning's marching orders are,

Interestingly, they are the same marching orders the Flames ownership ruined their team with:

"I don't care what you say, I want to make the playoffs and retain my season ticket base, MAKE IT HAPPEN!"

Since the Flames abandoned that stance they have become a team on the rise,

Oh well, what goes around comes around.

Iginla has no reason to come here unless he wants to have a mentor-type role in the lineup.. At this stage in his career, why the hell would he want that? He wants a cup..

the serious cup contenders have no room for him. Bruins, hawks, kings, pens ....

Ducks are an option i guess

Iginla has no reason to come here unless he wants to have a mentor-type role in the lineup.. At this stage in his career, why the hell would he want that? He wants a cup..

pretty much if he wanted anything other then a cup i am sure he would just go back to Calgary for cheap and finish his career.

If Linden can convince him they plan to spend to the cap, he might be convinced to sign for 1 year.

There was definitely interest from him to come here in the past.

With 17 mill in cap space they'd have to either hit a couple home runs or major overpayments to reach cap.

With 17 mill in cap space they'd have to either hit a couple home runs or major overpayments to reach cap.

I'm fine with a couple over payments if they're on 1 or 2 year deals and/or don't have no trade clauses.

I want this team to be competitive while transitioning youth into the lineup. That's how successful teams develop young players.

ok rant time... believe it or not the canucks need scoring and iggy is a benning player.. we also in mind got better when we did trade kesler... boino will instantly help.. linden vey will be impresive as well as dorsett... a fourth liner with offensive upside. isbister we finally have someone with a physical edge to him and knock guys down that are coming at him 1 on 1... i don't get why people can't see the direction of where benning has already taken this team. mark my word we will make the playoffs and be a contender! in bennin and linden i believe...

Meh. Why would Iginla want to come here again? Isn't the only thing he really wants at this point in his career a cup? I mean, Kesler just said the other day we were 4 years from being a contender again, if I were Iginla, I'd heed those words.

^^^^ This

As much as I would love to have Iggy, he wants a cup - He'll retire before the Canucks win one - course...now that I said that, watch them pull a '94 and be a Cinderella team next year!

Besides, we have an up and coming Iggy: "Virtanen, a power forward who NHL Central Scouting's Peter Sullivan compares to Jarome Iginla,"

As much as I'd like Iginla here, I love that GIF.

QP really went off the rails after losing the Oscar that totally should've been his.

Agreed Iggy would be awesome, then reality sets in. Mad respect for the player but this ship is going in a completely other direction from his quest to sip from Lord Stanley's mug.

Gladiator is one of my all time faves :D

Lol. This makes no sense. He wants to win a Cup, he won't come here.

What makes even less sense is why he won't take a paycut to play in Boston. I mean it's the best chance to win really. He's made enough money in his career as is and really, would $3-4 million kill him? Beyond me why he wouldn't take that and stay there in order to win. Will never understand.

^^^^ This

As much as I would love to have Iggy, he wants a cup - He'll retire before the Canucks win one - course...now that I said that, watch them pull a '94 and be a Cinderella team next year!

Besides, we have an up and coming Iggy: "Virtanen, a power forward who NHL Central Scouting's Peter Sullivan compares to Jarome Iginla,"

Virtanen is too young for the NHL. He will play junior again next year.

Archived