The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

In your opinion what's this team missing from being contenders again?

Outsiders

168 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A 2C a 3C & a right hand shot playmaking D.

I'm much more comfortable having Burrows or Higgins along with Kassian as our 2nd line wingers then I am having Bonino & Vey as our 2C 3C.

As it stands atm Henrik is far & away our best defensive center & I really have no idea who our 2nd best might be, their are big question marks with Bonino, Vey, Matthias, Richardson, Horvat & Gaunce.

If the twins are going to rebound to big numbers they are going to need at least 1 & preferably 2 of those centers to step up & play defensively sound 2 way hockey against the best centers in the league.

If a center or 2 steps up & plays beyond reasonable expectations we might be OK &, their are in house candidates to fill all the obvious holes in the team.

Sedin Sedin Vrbata

(Burrows, Higgins) Bonino Kassian

(Burrows, Higgins) (Vey, Horvat) Hansen

Matthias Richardson Dorsett

Hamhuis Tanev

Edler (Weber, Sanguinetti)

(Sbisa, Stanton) Bieksa

Miller

(Lack, Markstrom)

There is no doubt last year was HORRIBLE. But I think we shed the players we needed to, and most of the players that remain will have bounceback years.

D.Sedin-H.Sedin-Vrbata: If Sedins return to at least partial form and click with Vrbata, this is a very dangerous line.

Burrows-Bonino-Kassian: I think Burrows will bounce back, and Bonino already had better numbers than Kesler. Many believe (and I hope) this is Kassian's year to break out. If all the stars align, this is a solid 2nd line.

Higgins-Vey-Hansen - Interested to see how Vey performs. If he does, this is a solid 3rd line.

Matthais-Richardson-Dorsett - More talent than we've had on the 4th line in a long time.

Hamhuis-Bieksa - Very solid.

Edler-Tanev - Tanev will continue to improve, but the key is for Edler to return to form. If he does, great combo.

Sbisa-Stanton - I am not expecting much, to be honest. Stanton is decent but unspectacular in any way. Sbisa has potential, but has not met it.

Miller - Would have preferred either Luongo or Schneider, but hopefully Miller is stronger behind a strong D.

Lack - Love Eddie. Will continue to improve.

Overall, if this team plays to it's potential I believe we're a lock for a playoff spot and might even contend. I know most will not agree. I do think we're missing some hard-hitting players and perhaps some speed which could hurt us.

I think consensus is the following:

Andrew Ladd/Evander Kane
Ryan Johansen
Shea Weber

But in all honesty, we do need another scoring winger and a better 2C. As far as defense is concerned I'd like to see a vet RD brought in for a year so Corrado can get a little more AHL play time.

Most people voted that Bonino is a 3rd line center. Seriously?

He had 6 more points then Kesler last season playing as a 2nd/3rd liner, while Kesler played 1st/2nd line minutes and PP time with the Sedins. And most people say Kesler is a great 2nd liner, and a 1st line C on some teams.

Bonino is a legit 2nd line center. Anything more, and you have a fringe 1st line center.

Edit: How is a 49 point player a 3C?

The main thing we need right now IMO is a young'ish PMD. It would go a LONG way towards getting the forwards we do have scoring more and getting the most out of Edler.

That one piece alone at least gets us in the ballpark IMO.

But if I'm making a wishlist...

1-PMD (this could include a true elite #1D but I'd settle for a 2 to 4 guy that is good at that one thing too)

2-Another young, scoring top 6 forward

3-A big, mean, crease clearing 3rd pairing D

4-At some point soon we need to draft/trade (or develop...?) for a future 1C to replace Hank.

5-We need some of our promising youth to actually step forward and take NHL jobs in the next 1-2 years.

This pole doesn't fit what I want/feel.

The single most important thing you need to win a Championship, is chemistry.

This is why once in a while you see a team make a "cinderella run" when nobody thought it was possible.

It's also why this new management team is adamant that they keep the team competitive enough to make the playoffs, because you never know what can happen once you get there.

We can sit here and speculate about "what positions need to be stronger" or "we need this player here, or that one there". In the end though, if the players you bring in don't have chemistry with each other, it's irrelevant.

Obviously, some teams are stronger than others. They've been built that way and it's taken time.

With the Canucks this year however, it's a totally open book. None of us really knows what might happen. It's not close to being equally likely that they either win a Cup, or end up missing the dance, but both are possibilities.

If by some chance the right mix of all these new players gels into something special - who knows?

Most people voted that Bonino is a 3rd line center. Seriously?

He had 6 more points then Kesler last season playing as a 2nd/3rd liner, while Kesler played 1st/2nd line minutes and PP time with the Sedins. And most people say Kesler is a great 2nd liner, and a 1st line C on some teams.

Bonino is a legit 2nd line center. Anything more, and you have a fringe 1st line center.

Edit: How is a 49 point player a 3C?

Last season Bonino was a 3rd line center getting 10-12 sheltered even strength minutes a night, plus 3-5 minutes of first unit PP time a night.

20 of his 49 points were PP points, playing with Getzlaf & Perry on the 1st unit.

It's unlikely he'll be as sheltered this year as he was last year & even more unlikely he'll be able to duplicate his PP production.

The guys got a great work ethic, good skill, great hands & he's VERY VERY SLOW.

His season was a product of very astute coaching, much like what AV did with CoHo before they traded him.

Archived