The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Re-signing)PK Subban re-ups in montreal for 8 years

Oh, and in case anyone has noticed....

Salaries have finally gotten up to the pre-cap era level.

Salaries of 9 and 10 mil haven't been seen in 10 years,

Adjusting for inflation 9 mil now is not what it was 10 years ago, but I think these numbers are a really bad sign....

This is going to be the comparison for players like Jones, Murray, Rielly, Trouba, Ekblad and all the other top future defencemans.

I thought they could get him for cheaper but they can't lose him.

This is assuming everyone is like Subban skill and personality wise. And every organization is as stupid as Montreal. Look at Keith's deal, his cap hit is better and he arguably is better then Subban. Montreal should've locked him up long term right out of the gates.

That's what I was wondering. But some high horse kids kept telling me stuff about arbitration that had nothing to do with my question.

If the question was "Why did they take him to arbitration?"

They did it in the hopes that at some point during the process, PK's agent would buckle and sign for less than what the asked. That included going to the last minute with the arbitrator.

I expect this was what they had planned to all along, hold out to see if he could be had for less, if he doesn't buckle give him an extra 500k to wipe away the tears with.

hehehe this'll be good.. we'll see how the Habs handle a "bad" contract ..PK will be scrutinized ever so closely now.Contract distractions have been a burden for Van for years now..I can almost hear the boo birds already. Good luck PK.

I think it's fair value, and the term is reasonable for a guy his age, as this locks him up for his entire prime, with little risk of cap recapture. Not only are Montreal getting one of the league's best defensemen, they're getting a guy who steps up and plays his best hockey in the playoffs.

I didn't like the bridge contract either but this is the best option currently available to the Canadiens.

Source? You might be right but I think it's because management doesn't think he's earned a contract. Not every player drafted gets and ELC

It's really just my opinion but it wouldn't surprise me since we've had more important players to sign.

This is assuming everyone is like Subban skill and personality wise. And every organization is as stupid as Montreal. Look at Keith's deal, his cap hit is better and he arguably is better then Subban. Montreal should've locked him up long term right out of the gates.

Of course but my point is this will be the comparison for top RFA defenceman in the NHL as long as this CBA is in place.

Keith's signing was under a different CBA, different salary caps. Obviously there is no way Subban gets more than Keith, Doughty, Weber if they were all RFAs today.

Who knows if this was what Subban wanted or if he lowered what he thought he should get. 9 million isn't that bad IMO, the cap will be around the 80s in a couple of years and NHL stars will get about 10-12 million like Kane and Toews. Like Stamkos, his next contract will probably be around 12-14M per.

25 years old and just got $72,000,000.00 dropped off on his porch.

We'll see what this does for his motivation. Nobody in his family for the next 10 generations ever has to have a job.

Pretty insane if you think about it. Scary thing is that he is not the best player in the NHL. That guy got trapped making less for the next 10 years.

Pretty insane if you think about it. Scary thing is that he is not the best player in the NHL. That guy got trapped making less for the next 10 years.

I'm fairly certain Crosby took less than they were willing to pay him at the time because he is just that type of guy, plus he wanted to make 8.7 mil to match his number 87

You do realize the cap is going to go up.

It went up less than expected this year and put some teams in a cap crunch, the saying "don't count your chickens before they've hatched" comes to mind for next year as well.

Because we haven't had any room sign him. Once we get the space we will.

Space has nothing to do with signing a junior player to an ELC. When they slide they don't count against the cap or the 50 contract limit.

Yet so many on cdc said the relationship was now scorned, he's gone when is ufa, omg how could Bergevin do this, bla, blah blah.

I love CDc :)

Considering Subban was asking for 8.5 in arbitration before, I will say yeah Montreal had to pay more for term and the relationship is definitely worse.

Archived