The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kesler Hurt By Canuck's Fans Booing

SabreFan1

There is a phrase: "You get what you give."

I think with Kesler, that phrase is awkward. He gave us a lot. He gave us 10 years of his commitment.

Unfortunately, our fan base is about "what have you done for me lately?" It's unfortunate that our fan base forgets about the commitment he did bring before requesting the trade. Remember, he only really requested the trade when the team fell from the standings and things started getting miserable with Torts (at least that we know of). If your workplace changed for the worse, would you be able to provide the same commitment to that workplace?

Personally, I don't really see how the booing was necessary. If anything, I think it makes us look bad. Not him.

This isn't a phenomenon unique to Canucks fans. Heatley got booed in Ottawa, Pronger got booed in Edmonton, SabreFan1 mentioned that Campbell got booed in Buffalo, hell Habs fans booed Patrice Brisebois while he was still playing for Montreal.

So yes, think of it as classless if you want, but quit trying to single out Canucks fans for this kind of behaviour.

There's nothing worse than the self loathing Canucks fans that have popped up around here over the last couple of years, imo. It just gives credence to all the bs we take from other fanbases when we stray from this board. All teams have good and bad fans, whiners, etc. and all teams have whiners and divers too. Almost everyone I know is a Canucks fan but none of them have ever participated in a riot. None of them start fights or throw food at opposing teams fans so I refuse to be labelled by haters, foreign or domestic.

I thought the booing last night was well deserved. Kesler even had a chance to show some class post game and mend some of the fences he broke when he left. Instead he chose to throw more salt in the wounds with his "back home to the sunshine" comment. That showed a real lack of character on his part and he'll probably get booed even louder the next time he comes back and deservedly so.

He could have taken a lesson from some of the previous class acts that he played with that left like Linden and Naslund etc. and solidified his legacy as a Canuck forever and we would have loved him for it. Instead he chose to do it the way he did and he alone is responsible for the consequences. That being said, time heals all wounds so who knows what the future holds.

I'm just messing around. Southern Ontario folk will soon fill the stands again. :)

:mad: Since almost all of Western New York was under a travel ban, I'll bet money that at least half of those 7,000 were probably from Southern Ontario. North Buffalo, Southern Ontario, and half of downtown saw very little snow in comparison to the Southern Tier.

As an aside, I just got back in from shoveling part of my driveway (paid for a guy in a high lift to shovel the cap of the driveway first, and for some stupid reason I thought walking on top of almost 7 feet of snow on my way to the driveway was a bright idea. I sunk like a bowling ball, and ended up turtled on my back after sinking into it. Of course I had an audience of neighbors watching me trying to get back out... lol

I think with Kesler, that phrase is awkward. He gave us a lot. He gave us 10 years of his commitment.

Unfortunately, our fan base is about "what have you done for me lately?" It's unfortunate that our fan base forgets about the commitment he did bring before requesting the trade. Remember, he only really requested the trade when the team fell from the standings and things started getting miserable with Torts (at least that we know of). If your workplace changed for the worse, would you be able to provide the same commitment to that workplace?

Personally, I don't really see how the booing was necessary. If anything, I think it makes us look bad. Not him.

Wasn't Kesler one of the ones vying for Torts because of their team USA connection? Real leaders don't jump ship, they go down with it. Iginla is a god in Calgary, did you ever hear him say he wanted out? No, because he was a leader and a man of character no matter how much it pains me to say it. He understood that his legacy was far more important than a cup and he can still pursue that goal in his twighlight years as a role player jumping from team to team without damaging his image.

Iginla is a hero to flames fans much like Linden is to us. Kesler could have easily been the same as a life long Canuck if he had only had similar qualities in his character. Sadly he didn't and he left a lot of heart broken when we heard he wanted out. I know Ferraro always says he would have rather had a cup than anything else he accomplished in his career but he was the type of player who lacked the skill and character to ever acheive a true legacy so I always take that comment with a grain of salt. I don't think any teams will be retiring Hossa's jersey anytime soon either.

The fans cheered him for 10 years. Did he expect a hero's welcome wearing a Ducks jersey? If he still wanted cheers here, he should've stayed here.

I probably would've applauded after the tribute but booed him the rest of the game if I was there.

Wasn't Kesler one of the ones vying for Torts because of their team USA connection? Real leaders don't jump ship, they go down with it. Iginla is a god in Calgary, did you ever hear him say he wanted out? No, because he was a leader and a man of character no matter how much it pains me to say it. He understood that his legacy was far more important than a cup and he can still pursue that goal in his twighlight years as a role player jumping from team to team without damaging his image.

Iginla is a hero to flames fans much like Linden is to us. Kesler could have easily been the same as a life long Canuck if he had only had similar qualities in his character. Sadly he didn't and he left a lot of heart broken when we heard he wanted out. I know Ferraro always says he would have rather had a cup than anything else he accomplished in his career but he was the type of player who lacked the skill and character to ever acheive a true legacy so I always take that comment with a grain of salt. I don't think any teams will be retiring Hossa's jersey anytime soon either.

This assumes that Kesler wanted to be considered a lifelong Canuck, He obviously didn't in the end.

Remember, this is HIS career, not yours. Just because you wish he had stayed a lifelong Canuck doesn't mean he has to. You might think that he "should" (and I really, really hate the word "should") have understood it's his legacy, but perhaps it wasn't what he cared for. Last year went south and it started to look like we might not win a cup in Kesler's career, so he jumped ship. It's not about legacy with him. He wants a cup.

You can't just put thoughts in a another person's head and assume that's what they want. His legacy is what you wanted evidently by your tone in your typing, but it didn't happen.

It's his choice in the end. Plain and simple.

The fans cheered him for 10 years. Did he expect a hero's welcome wearing a Ducks jersey? If he still wanted cheers here, he should've stayed here.

I probably would've applauded after the tribute but booed him the rest of the game if I was there.

I'm glad they at least cheered for that. I'll admit that I wasn't able to watch the game last night.

This assumes that Kesler wanted to be considered a lifelong Canuck, He obviously didn't in the end.

Remember, this is HIS career, not yours. Just because you wish he had stayed a lifelong Canuck doesn't mean he has to. You might think that he "should" (and I really, really hate the word "should") have understood it's his legacy, but perhaps it wasn't what he cared for. Last year went south and it started to look like we might not win a cup in Kesler's career, so he jumped ship. It's not about legacy with him. He wants a cup.

You can't just put thoughts in a another person's head and assume that's what they want. His legacy is what you wanted evidently by your tone in your typing, but it didn't happen.

By that same token, people "should" not have to react to that in any other way than the one that works for them. Their choice, plain and simple

By that same token, people "should" not have to react to that in any other way than the one that works for them. Their choice, plain and simple

You have a point, but if that's the case, it's a catch 22 as we're all saying someone "should" not be doing something.

This is why "should" is such a bad word. lol

I think it's what we all wanted but I personally have moved on. All I was really saying in my long winded diatribe is he earned the boos fair and square and it's not fair to call out Canucks fans given the circumstance.

I think it's what we all wanted but I personally have moved on. All I was really saying in my long winded diatribe is he earned the boos fair and square and it's not fair to call out Canucks fans given the circumstance.

While I disagree on the "earning" of the boos, I will agree with you on the unnecessary complaint about it with the media.

The fact that we got a good return in that situation is a miracle and also irrelevant. Benning pulling a rabbit out of his hat doesn't change the position that Kesler put managment and the team in or the way he acted. I'm judging him, not the deal.

You're analogy of a friend leaving isn't relevant as it doesn't describe the terms of the person leaving. If a friend of mine moved to another city and left me with a major commitment like half a year left in a rental agreement for an apartment for example, and didn't try to find a replacement, then we would not be friends anymore. It's not the fact that he's leaving, it's the apathy demonstrated by leaving me in a tough position without even trying to offer solutions.

You can say it always looks selfish when a player wants out, but I've made enough points of exactly why this particular situation is selfish and you haven't argued them directly. You deflected by saying we got a good deal anyways but that doesn't change the fact that he put us in a bad position to negotiate. His actions were selfish. If you want to judge a person by the way they play hockey, that's your decision. I judge people by the way they act and treat others. His discisions were staggeringly self involved and apathetic to the situation of an organisation that he owes a lot to. That screams 'bad person' to me.

What exactly does he owe the organization at that point? His job was to play hockey, and that's what he did. He was always one of the hardest working players, and for a while, he lead the NHL in ice time for forwards. Can't ask for much more from him.

It isn't up to him to find a location that would make for a good hockey trade, that's on the GM. Or, maybe he did do some research, and found that Anaheim was a good fit for both teams. I think the fact that a good trade was made is relevant, since it shows that we weren't as handcuffed as people make it out to be.

I judge players by their personality too, and I think it just came down to him wanting to win while he can still be a key player. I wouldn't consider that a 'bad person'. I don't like that he wanted out either, but I can't hate the guy for it.

Remember, a lot of what Kesler and Rich winter did on his way out was too avoid a Luongo type situation, Luongo played the nice-guy, and spent a year and a half in limbo.

And to be honest, at the time I was advocating making Kesler sit home until he expanded his list,

Winter made JB's life miserable everyday until Kesler was dealt, and he was dealt fast,

Archived