The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kesler Hurt By Canuck's Fans Booing

SabreFan1

This.

I'm not one for booing players for the most part. (I also don't sarcastically chant a goalie's name.) Certainly don't think we should be booing a player just because he decided to no longer be here for whatever reason, though I do get why people are upset that he's never been honest about demanding a trade or explained. Still, nothing stays the same but change. He moved on and we have to too. What's the point of booing him like pissed off exes just because he didn't want to be with us anymore? We should have a little more self-respect than that and save our booing for players who actually do something to warrant it, like Duncan Keith. That fracker should be booed every second he exists in our sight line...

C'mon man, just...it's a hockey game... C'mon..... Self respect? Should I say that you sound totally apathetic.. Duncan Keith, didn't that happen like 3 years ago.. Ya the guy sucks, unless playing for Canada, but the Kess thing was last week... Get tough man, this wincy crap drives me nuts..

Reading this thread is why I tens to stay away from these types of subforums.

People are reacting to this in typical butt hurt fashion and I doubt they even understand the context of the story. Kesler didn't just come out and whine about Vancouver fans, he was asked what he thought about being booed (likely using the word "hurt" in his question) and "hurt" is one fricken word. If anything here the responses are from hurt fans who can't get over a guy leaving the team. Here is a reiteration of his response, in full from the OP link:

They paid their tickets theyre allowed to do what they want, Kesler told TSN 1040′s Stu Walters. Does it hurt? Yeah, obviously when you play somewhere for 10 years and give your heart and soul every night It is what it is, you move on go home, re-energize.

Kesler was a minus-1 with two shots on goal in 19:36 of ice time. He also won 11 of 20 face-offs and delivered two hits.

Obviously yeah when you play somewhere 10 years you expect something different, but im happy for (the) support Ive had in this city and thankful for that, he said. It was a weird day for me, coming back into this building after so long with different jersey on, but I enjoyed moment and happy we got two points

There is no disrespect here.. just fans reading one word and flying off the deep end in irrationality. It's a rather boring run of the mill response to a media personality wanting to make a story off emotional Canucks fans. Looks like his attempt to rustle jimmies = success.

There is no disrespect here.. just fans reading one word and flying off the deep end in irrationality. It's a rather boring run of the mill response to a jour a list wanting to make a story off emotional Canucks fans. Looks like his attempt to rustle jimmies = success.

He also made some digs about being glad to board the plane and get back to the sunshine and to go home (with a very distinctive emphasis on home).

He totally gets to be butthurt that folks booed him... but shouldn't pretend that he didn't expect or deserve it.

He also made some digs about being glad to board the plane and get back to the sunshine and to go home (with a very distinctive emphasis on home).

It's your prerogative if you want to turn this into a big deal. Personally, it's not even worth the fracks to give to me. I was just helping put things in perspective for people who only read one word of something and react as usual. If they still want to take it personally, so be it, just adds to the entertainment in this thread of watching people waste energy getting mad at nothing. I wish the guy well, and no chance I'm gonna take that interview in the slightest bit like he's dissing Vancouver or anyone else. No good reason to.

Reading this thread is why I tens to stay away from these types of subforums.

People are reacting to this in typical butt hurt fashion and I doubt they even understand the context of the story. Kesler didn't just come out and whine about Vancouver fans, he was asked what he thought about being booed (likely using the word "hurt" in his question) and "hurt" is one fricken word. If anything here the responses are from hurt fans who can't get over a guy leaving the team. Here is a reiteration of his response, in full from the OP link:

There is no disrespect here.. just fans reading one word and flying off the deep end in irrationality. It's a rather boring run of the mill response to a media personality wanting to make a story off emotional Canucks fans. Looks like his attempt to rustle jimmies = success.

You're contradicting yourself here

On the one hand "he's rustling our jimmies" (do I have jimmies, I don't even know?). On the other hand, "there is no disrespect here" according to you. There's disrespect in snubbing (that's what it boils down to when you want to go somewhere else because it's "better"), then following up by "rustling jimmies". So some like to give it back in a goes around comes around way.

No one's "flying off the deep end" so why the exaggeration?

It's your prerogative if you want to turn this into a big deal. Personally, it's not even worth the fracks to give to me. I was just helping put things in perspective for people who only read one word of something and react as usual. If they still want to take it personally, so be it, just adds to the entertainment in this thread of watching people waste energy on nothing.

Well how big of you to "help" everyone here with your words of wisdom. But who says you have it right?

So are you going to boo Luongo too?

This is just another case of "oh ____ hurt my feelings, boo him" that so many fans seem to come down with.

Or, you know, it could be a case of judging someones character by their actions. A guy acting like a jerk to someone else isn't going to hurt my feelings, but i'm still going to dislike him..

This is what Canucks fans are like towards Kesler it seems:

I don't care that he wanted to leave, I cheered for him since we drafted him and he's still the same person. Booing him was classless IMO.

He owed a lot to this organisation as well so I would say handicapping our negotiations by giving one team to deal with (I don't count Chicago because of cap constraints) was pretty classless. He was ok with setting fire to the place as he left. I didn't boo last night, but I think he deserved every boo that he got.

Well how big of you to "help" everyone here with your words of wisdom. But who says you have it right?

You're contradicting yourself here

On the one hand "he's rustling our jimmies" (do I have jimmies, I don't even know?). On the other hand, "there is no disrespect here" according to you. There's disrespect in snubbing (that's what it boils down to when you want to go somewhere else because it's "better"), then following up by "rustling jimmies". So some like to give it back in a goes around comes around way.

No one's "flying off the deep end" so why the exaggeration?

Hey, if you want to make this a big deal and dramatize a rather harmless interview, like the other poster I responded to, that's your prerogative. You can play the "I'm such a victim of someone else's oppressive opinion" card all you like as well, it doesn't bother me at all. I'm pointing out why I avoid these subforums, because there's no rationalizing with people who are simply bent on taking a player leaving the team personally. Everything the guy says is met with hostility and butthurt from people on CDC since he wanted to leave the team. Sun rises, sun sets.

Hey, if you want to make this a big deal and dramatize a rather harmless interview, like the other poster I responded to, that's your prerogative. You can play the "I'm such a victim of someone else's oppressive opinion" card all you like as well, it doesn't bother me at all. I'm pointing out why I avoid these subforums, because there's no rationalizing with people who are simply bent on taking a player leaving the team personally. Everything the guy says is met with hostility and butthurt from people on CDC since he wanted to leave the team. Sun rises, sun sets.

"Everything the guy says"? Nope.

Hostility? Nope

Butthurt? Maybe, but you're here too, despite not giving a hoot. Seems you do care a little more than expressed. It's not just "the interview"...that's the end of the discussion, not the beginning.

He owed a lot to this organisation as well so I would say handicapping our negotiations by giving one team to deal with (I don't count Chicago because of cap constraints) was pretty classless. He was ok with setting fire to the place as he left. I didn't boo last night, but I think he deserved every boo that he got.

He earned the right to choose where he wanted to go, I don't see the problem with him only giving 1 or 2 options. If he was desperate to get out, he would've given more options.

Plus he still won't admit to asking to be traded, that tells me he still has some respect for the Canucks.

Either that or just common, non-millionaire, sports fans who paid 100's of dollars to watch the game and have a good time.

You don't find it just a tad pathetic that fans need to boo someone, just to "have a good time"?

Couldn't agree more.

The entire board sounds like a bunch of 14 year-old girls who just got dumped by their boyfriends.

....and SMH at those who claim Luongo's situation was "totally different". He wanted out, just like Kes. For that matter, so did Bure.

You don't find it just a tad pathetic that fans need to boo someone, just to "have a good time"?

Couldn't agree more.

The entire board sounds like a bunch of 14 year-old girls who just got dumped by their boyfriends.

....and SMH at those who claim Luongo's situation was "totally different". He wanted out, just like Kes. For that matter, so did Bure.

Rup, you're an old time hockey guy........are you saying the Habs fans didn't boo the Leafs when they came to town? Nothing wrong with some catcalls, imo.

Rup, you're an old time hockey guy........are you saying the Habs fans didn't boo the Leafs when they came to town? Nothing wrong with some catcalls, imo.

It's different when that guy gave your team a decade of his career.

What would this board have thought, had Bure been booed after moving to the Panthers?

It's different when that guy gave your team a decade of his career.

What would this board have thought, had Bure been booed after moving to the Panthers?

I would have thought man I really hate Bure and the Panthers, I can't wait until they come to town. That's on of the main ways rivalries get started.

Cheer Kesler or jeer Kesler. Every fan has the right to choose how they respond. Because a Canucks fan chooses to respond to Kesler in a way that is different than the way I would respond doesn't make them any more or any less "classy" or right/wrong than me. I'd do neither. I'd actually thank Kesler for wanting out because he essentially set the motion on changing the look and feel of the team. All of which has been for the better for the Canucks franchise.

And what part of Kesler's response surprises anyone? He was always sensitive, so his comments are expected. He's a guy who is either too stupid or could care less about having a filter, so why is anyone expecting him to be anything different?

Personally, I'm glad Kesler is gone -- the team actually played better without him in the lineup and the returns has so far been better than what we gave up. At this very moment, Kesler is still the best single player in the trade, but the sum of what we got back is greater than the pieces that were given up. 2 years from now, IMO, Bonino will be the single best player in the transaction. We gave up the present for the future. We're not going to win the cup in the next 24 months, so I would make this trade every day/any day and twice on Sundays.

I'm a Canucks fan and have always believed the team is bigger than any one player. IMO, all players are movable pieces regardless of who initiates the process. If a player doesn't want to be here, if a player's usefulness has run its course, if a player loses his spot on the roster to a younger/better player, I say move him. This emotional baggage that people carry with any of the players is entirely lost on me.

One of the things I liked about JB this past summer was the surgeon-like precision attitude he took in making moves. I honestly hope that JB hasn't developed any emotional ties to any of the players on the roster...if by moving a certain player makes the team better, then move 'em. Accept the risk that it may not work out. Life goes on with or without guys like Kesler.

C'mon man, just...it's a hockey game... C'mon..... Self respect? Should I say that you sound totally apathetic.. Duncan Keith, didn't that happen like 3 years ago.. Ya the guy sucks, unless playing for Canada, but the Kess thing was last week... Get tough man, this wincy crap drives me nuts..

I'm not a man, but seriously? What is it you think I'm lacking concern or enthusiasm with?

What exactly is so "tough" about booing a guy for breaking up with the team at the end of last season? Get over it! That's about as "wincy" as it comes. What's next? Do we stalk him on Facebook and drunk dial him after every loss begging him to come back? :rolleyes:

And what's with defending booing Kesler for leaving but basically saying "get over it" with Duncan Keith? If your argument is "it's a hockey game" shouldn't you be for booing anyone then, not just players who hurt our feelings last season? Why is booing him okay but you draw the line at players who deliberately caused a head injury of one of our stars just because it happened 2 years ago?

There's nothing more "hockey fan" than holding a grudge. I just think it should be for a less "wincy" reason than deciding to go play for another team, especially since that happens all the time.

Archived