The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kesler Hurt By Canuck's Fans Booing

SabreFan1

I wouldn't have booed mostly because of how he played for us through his 10 years here. Guy gave his everything every shift and basically broke his body for us. That's heart and soul and a determination to win, which we seem to lack.

I still maintain Kesler was the true and only heir to Linden's legacy, Smyl's too

Which is why it hurt so much when he wanted out, I think most people saw his jersey up in the rafters someday, had he finished his career here, I think it would have been.

I still maintain Kesler was the true and only heir to Linden's legacy, Smyl's too

Which is why it hurt so much when he wanted out, I think most people saw his jersey up in the rafters someday, had he finished his career here, I think it would have been.

Same. I was absolutely shocked. I like Kes and I think he's a great hockey player when he's serious about it, but it hit right in the heart in shock when news broke. If he wanted out, then so be it. Yeah he threw us under the bus as well as his teammates, but that's up to him on how he wants to be remembered.

Im happy he is gone, from what i saw i thought he had a bad attitude before the whole trade demands. After he demanded a trade to Anaheim i was done with kesler. I would of boo'd him if i was there and he would of deserved it.

To everyone talking about him being ten years and how he gave his all to his organization go start your own "I love Kesler" thread and let the people who see him in a different light vent.

Happy with with our new players over the old:)

you guys know whats sad? the fans boo'ed Kesler louder than they rat marchand when he came to town. IMO we as fans should appreciate what he did for our team. Remember in the playoffs he gave it his all even when we got swept by SJ. I love the twins but they never show up in the playoffs. So he gave a list of two teams the guy thought would give him the best chance to win the cup that matches his play type and we got Bones and McCan out of it. Every player wants to win the cup let alone cry when they lose it.

Sure he may be a snobbish little prick sometimes that does'nt like to do interviews or isn't cool in the locker room to some people, a lot of people say they met him and he acted like he was some god because he was Ryan Kesler, but at the end of the day we are watching this team play HOCKEY not watching them to critique their people skills. At the time he requested his trade we were seen as going nowhere and only getting worse, there were talks of a rebuild and he didn't like that idea because he realizes hes getting older. Only you could imagine if he never requested a trade and somehow got bones as our third line centre.

Always remember Kesler's first full year. Broke his finger and was almost in tears because he could not play into playoffs. Kesler and Burrows were the team leaders when it was needed, not Naslund, not the Twins.

Not happy that he wanted to move on but accept it. Would Benning have moved him without the Kesler request for a trade. I almost think so. ANA or nothing, did handcuff JB. Kesler could never seem to anchor a 2nd line. He was a shooter first which hurt his even strength play. Burrows-Bonino-Higgens have been pretty good. That said I can see Burrows being moved come trade deadline.

This line has always been such a load of s*&t

He probably has Buffalo confused with GM place from 95-2001

Nah, he's just trolling me, I respect that. He found the "chink in my armour". Buffalo's unconditional support for our team and our ability to fill the arena night after night is a point of pride for the city. Buffalo's fan base is one of the best fan bases in the league. Just look at our record setting season ticket sales for a year that we knew was going to be brutal.

I can't blame him for teasing me. I do the same thing to CDC on occasion. Especially during the last Olympics. I'm always up for good natured and clever ribbing/trolling. :lol:

While I agree that many Canucks fans are whiners about refs and "conspiracies", booing a former player when he comes back to the team he dissed on his way is a great way to bring some life and personality to the building.

As an old time hockey guy, (much like myself) I don't often disagree with you stawns, but on this occasion, I do.

I don't think it does anything but reinforce the league-wide negative image of Canuck fans.

2012 playoffs Schneider played 3 great games, still only managed 1 win, got eliminated in 5. 2013 Schneider played last 2, Lu played first 2 games, got swept. Last season missed the playoffs, went downhill and Lack struggled after Lu got dealt.

If these goalies outplayed Lu badly, why didn't we do much better? You're making it sound like Lu was costing us every game while these goalies weren't, When really it didn't mattered who played in goal.

A goalie can only do so much.

2012: The Canucks were missing their top goal scorer and even once he returned, he was a shadow of his former self, thanks to a Duncan Keith headshot.

Meanwhile, the Kings steamrolled everyone in that playoff season.

2013: The biggest penalty imbalance in NHL playoff history. Tough to win when the other team constantly has an extra player on the ice.

This isn't a phenomenon unique to Canucks fans. Heatley got booed in Ottawa, Pronger got booed in Edmonton, SabreFan1 mentioned that Campbell got booed in Buffalo, hell Habs fans booed Patrice Brisebois while he was still playing for Montreal.

So yes, think of it as classless if you want, but quit trying to single out Canucks fans for this kind of behaviour.

Just because other team's fans do similar things, it does not make Canuck fans look any less childish for their behavior.

BTW: Bob Gainey went public and told those Hab fans to stop coming to the games. There's an example of how to handle something like that with class.

By that same token, people "should" not have to react to that in any other way than the one that works for them. Their choice, plain and simple

No they shouldn't. It just that some of us wish they would.

As an old time hockey guy, (much like myself) I don't often disagree with you stawns, but on this occasion, I do.

I don't think it does anything but reinforce the league-wide negative image of Canuck fans.

The Canucks team also had a league wide image.. much of it thanks to old "heart and soul" kesler

He's just trying to stir the pot. He knows he caused all of this and I don't think he genuinely cares what reaction he got.

I'm buying this theory...I think he thrives on getting the fans and media in a tizzy...As the years roll on,he will be looked back on as one of the best players we ever had.

If the team had asked Kesler to waive his NTC then he would have been cheered but HE asked for the trade and thus gets boo'ed, rightly imo. To further limit the possible places he would go to 2, of which one had no cap space just adds to the fans displeasure and reaction.

I would have liked to see him sit at home till he opened up his trade list to at least 10 teams. I would also like to see the league get a clause in the cba stipulating if the player wants to be traded despite him signing a NTC he has to provide a list of 15 teams. Also if the trade is asked for by the team, the team pays the player a million dollar penalty-that also counts against the old teams cap, either that year or next.

Nah, he's just trolling me, I respect that. He found the "chink in my armour". Buffalo's unconditional support for our team and our ability to fill the arena night after night is a point of pride for the city. Buffalo's fan base is one of the best fan bases in the league. Just look at our record setting season ticket sales for a year that we knew was going to be brutal.

I can't blame him for teasing me. I do the same thing to CDC on occasion. Especially during the last Olympics. I'm always up for good natured and clever ribbing/trolling. :lol:

Gottcha,

Just wanted to have it know that although I have no connection with Buffalo at all, I consider them one of the league's best fan bases, waaay better than Vancouver's.

The Canucks team also had a league wide image.. much of it thanks to old "heart and soul" kesler

That was aimed at one player specifically, the Canucks rep he's talking about was definitely (I'm actually answering the guy who answer you, and brought up Espo) Kesler, Burrows , Beiksa were the core of us earning that rep, Samuellson, La Pierre, and Torres were the icing on the cake.

If the team had asked Kesler to waive his NTC then he would have been cheered but HE asked for the trade and thus gets boo'ed, rightly imo. To further limit the possible places he would go to 2, of which one had no cap space just adds to the fans displeasure and reaction.

I would have liked to see him sit at home till he opened up his trade list to at least 10 teams. I would also like to see the league get a clause in the cba stipulating if the player wants to be traded despite him signing a NTC he has to provide a list of 15 teams. Also if the trade is asked for by the team, the team pays the player a million dollar penalty-that also counts against the old teams cap, either that year or next.

That what I was advocating at the time, sit him till he expands the list,

But things have worked out well, Trev/Benn bet on the right horses all along.

Archived