The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kesler Hurt By Canuck's Fans Booing

SabreFan1

“They paid their tickets they’re allowed to do what they want,” Kesler told TSN 1040′s Stu Walters. “Does it hurt? Yeah, obviously when you play somewhere for 10 years and give your heart and soul every night… It is what it is, you move on go home, re-energize.”

did any of you actually read the article it's hardly playing the sympathy card or crying about it i suggest let it go players are allowed to leave they don't need owe us fans a damn thing they don't need to leave a certain way

look at the Bure situation people forgave him i am sure people will do the exact same to Kesler

calling it handcuffing the team he had a NTC which means he can pick which team he goes to it also means he could of not waived it and stayed here until the end of the contract and left which would mean no Bonino no Sbisa no McCann all things considered he gave us a lot of value back which can't be said about Luongo and how he handcuffed the team only wanting to go to Florida yes they got Matthias who looks a lot better this year Markstrom is lighting it up in the AHL with outstanding numbers but jury is still out on whether he can be an NHL goalie

twice he was outplayed by younger, less experienced goalies and rather than use it as motivation, he sulked. However, as much as I dislike Luongo, I wouldn't boo him, because, as one oster mentioned, his decision was family motivated, not greed or selfishness.

2012 playoffs Schneider played 3 great games, still only managed 1 win, got eliminated in 5. 2013 Schneider played last 2, Lu played first 2 games, got swept. Last season missed the playoffs, went downhill and Lack struggled after Lu got dealt.

If these goalies outplayed Lu badly, why didn't we do much better? You're making it sound like Lu was costing us every game while these goalies weren't, When really it didn't mattered who played in goal.

But if management felt he was being outplayed, Lu only accepted that the team is going with the younger goalie and said it might be time to move on. If he didn't accept it, and management wanted to move him, he could have been a big stubborn baby and say "im not waiving" and fans would have criticized him for not doing whats best for the team.

Thought it was rather stupid for the fans to boo so hard when they showed him on the Jumbotron welcoming him back. Could have at least showed some appreciation there and booed him during the first shift or something. Didn't think he would get booed all game the way he did. Fans just can't let things go around here.

Will be interesting to see if he gets booed the next time he plays here.

twice he was outplayed by younger, less experienced goalies and rather than use it as motivation, he sulked. However, as much as I dislike Luongo, I wouldn't boo him, because, as one oster mentioned, his decision was family motivated, not greed or selfishness.

Schneider's stats at least give you a case, albeit a shaky one. (Being the backup and being the starter aren't the same thing, as he's finding out.) But how exactly did Lack ever outplay Luo?

Luo's stats were actually better than Lack's up until Torts' suspension. Thanks to the 8 games Luo played during and after Torts' suspension his stats dropped temporarily below Lack's, which wasn't surprising given the crap storm that was Tort's suspension and his later admission that he stopped coaching ever after his return. Which is also why it wasn't a surprise that Lack's stats dropped significantly after he was in net for those kind of sloppy team play games...

When he left, Luo had started 42 games and had a .917 SV% and 2.38 GAA. Hardly crappy numbers! (We're doing just fine with far less this season.) And at that time, Lack had a .922 SV% in 18 starts (22 GPI). That's hardly a starter getting outplayed. If it is, a lot of starters get outplayed by their backups...

During his 42 starts in Vancouver last year, Luo had a game SV% below .900 in 16 games. Lack ended up with 15 games below .900 in his 37 starts. He ended the season with a .912 SV% and a 2.41 GAA. I'm certainly not blaming Lack for how everything turned out, simply pointing out that our goalie wasn't the team's problem and Lack never outplayed Luo.

The reason I won't boo Luongo is very simple. He wanted to be closer to his family. He didn't insist on being traded to a Cup contender. He wanted to be home with his wife and family there. Which to me makes me wonder why Luongo signed that long term deal in the first place? Why didn't he just say no, I want 5 years max. Which probably explains why he later on fired his agent.

Choosing family over anything else, that's something if you're an athlete, pipe fitter, musician, or rocket scientist, I can understand.

Don't see why anyone would boo Luongo. I actually feel bad for the guy, but do wish he just elevated his play to shut everybody up and remain the guy.

He'll get a loud ovation as he should - don't forget that he won a gold medal here for our country!

He did have the right to narrow his list, it was in his contract. It doesn't make it any less selfish.

"Hey guy's, thanks for spending all this time and money making me into an allstar caliber player. I'm going to make you trade me now but not before I put you into a position with no negotiating leverage"

Don't get me wrong, the organisation owed him a lot as well, but he showed incredible self involvment by not even attempting to give the team a shot at a decent return. I can respect his talent and his accomplishments, but as a person, I can't respect his actions, attitude and ego. For me, the type of person you are trumps any athletic talent, acting ability or anything else really.

Well said ..

Kesler was my favourite player growing up, and I still like the guy despite the rabid bandwagon of hate for him that's on here.

But come on dude, you demand a trade after one bad season and submit a 2 team trade list and are hurt when you get booed? What did he expect? He even got a tribute on the scoreboard.

Either way we have Bones and McCann now, so I'm happy.

This is how I feel. He was one of my favourite players the past 6 or 7 years... He broke my heart. I'm extremely invested in the team and it's players and the fact that he requested a trade to a division rival just pissed me off. I specifically paid last night to let him know how I felt. Plus it was fun doing something at the game instead of being looked at awkwardly when u try to get a go Canucks Go going because most Vancouverites are so stuck up.

tumblr_lmvz2sToIT1qcog44o1_400.gif

This shows how much he loved the city and most fans including myself loved him back. But he left. We're canucks fans. We cheer for our team. I clapped for him at the start what else does he want? I cheered for him this year the two games vs the King's he played.

Club before player. Club before country. Club before anything. I support my canucks over anything.

This isn't a phenomenon unique to Canucks fans. Heatley got booed in Ottawa, Pronger got booed in Edmonton, SabreFan1 mentioned that Campbell got booed in Buffalo, hell Habs fans booed Patrice Brisebois while he was still playing for Montreal.

So yes, think of it as classless if you want, but quit trying to single out Canucks fans for this kind of behaviour.

I guess some people just don't like being lied to by someone when the truth has already been revealed. Being honest about one's intentions, or even just obfuscating a bit, would have been much more acceptable... and respected. Perhaps it's just a certain "type of human" that gets butthurt when people don't respect him knowingly lying to them.

At least Kesler CARES, and is willing to tell you he cares,

Most players would mumble something about two points and shuffle down the hallway thinking about their new golf clubs,

Kesler is real, what you see is what you get,

A lot of people find his lack of phoniness upsetting for some reason.

In a Wayne Gretzky interview a reporter asked him about how does it feel to have millions of fans cheering for you.. Wayne laughed and said "They don't all cheer for me" , "In LA they do, but i hear more boos in the other stadiums" then he was laughing. The reporter asked him how he dealt with that and he replied " When you pay for a ticket to a game, you cheer and boo for whoever you want, its not for me to decide"

When Wayne says this about a hockey game, we should all take note. If you want to boo, go ahead. If you want to cheer, go ahead... its your ticket, your seat, your choice to like or dislike any player or any team.

I booed Chris Drury, Danny Briere, and Brian Campbell after they left the Sabres. In his final interview, Campbell asked the fans not to boo him when he came back in another jersey. Needless to say, he got booed all night.

By all 7000 fans at the game? J/k

Kesler requests to be traded then wonders why he gets booed. What a tool!

Archived