The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kesler Hurt By Canuck's Fans Booing

SabreFan1

Be careful what you wish for. He wanted out, had no problem ditching this city/team and went to the enemy and his feelings are now hurt? I don't have any Kleenex left...I used them all when I learned he didn't care to be here and had scoped out a team I hate as a replacement.

The sun in California will dry his tears, he's escaping the big bad media and the rain here - he'll be fine. I'm not bitter, but I'm also "over it" and feel he should be too. Made his bed stuff to me.

Loyalty is a big deal and "picking" the Ducks? That was where he lost me. Sure - demand to be traded and let the chips fall where they may in allowing the team to benefit from their investment (they'd invested as many years in him as he had here). They gave him a chance/place to shine and stuck with him. Sorry, suck it up.

I think some people are romantacizing Kesler's stay here.

Yes he played a wicked series against Nashville.... but for every game like that, there were 10 where he got upset or frustrated with things and flopped all over the ice every time someone brushed by him trying to draw a penalty. He was also a huge whiner and one of the main reasons the officials hated us and we got a reputation as a team of divers.

Some things to keep in mind:

- Right at the start of his career he signed an offer sheet with another team to get an undeserved (at the time) contract. If you are not sure of how offer sheets work, a player gets a contract offer for another team and agrees to put a pen to paper and sign it. It isn't an offer sheet unless the player signs it.... he tried to get out of town and/or blackmail the team for more money right out of the gate.

- He signed an extension here when it looked like we were Stanley Cup favourites and were at the very top of the league. He wasn't taking a discount because he loved Vancouver, he was taking one for a good chance at a Cup.

- As soon as it looked like we weren't Cup bound anymore he demanded a trade.

- He lied about demanding a trade and is still lying about it, saying it was a mutual agreement. Two different GMs have told a different story.

- He limited his trade demand to one or two teams, greatly reducing the return for him. Benning, who has been really honest about everything, said repeatedly during that time he was one the phone every day with Kesler's agent trying to work it out. He reportedly had several better offers but Kesler wouldn't waive for those teams. There was serious discussion amongst the brass to tell him to stuff it and report to camp instead.

- The team had a players only meeting where they didn't invite him, and decided he shouldn't be an assistant captain. We will never know what happened in that locker room to cause that, but it is a serious reflection of his character that they did that.

- He get compensated $30 million dollars for that ten years here... so ya, we have paid for the right to boo him or whatever the hell we want. He can wipe his tears with $1,000 dollar bills to make himself feel better.

what does he expect when he leaves and says that we aren't close to a Stanley Cup?

Exactly! We left us - we didn't get rid of him.

Why are we supposed to be happy for him?

Sorry, you reap what you sow and he "jacked" some of us fans up with his comments.

Sorry, he wasn't Linden.

I think some people are romantacizing Kesler's stay here.

Yes he played a wicked series against Nashville.... but for every game like that, there were 10 where he got upset or frustrated with things and flopped all over the ice every time someone brushed by him trying to draw a penalty. He was also a huge whiner and one of the main reasons the officials hated us and we got a reputation as a team of divers.

Some things to keep in mind:

- Right at the start of his career he signed an offer sheet with another team to get an undeserved (at the time) contract. If you are not sure of how offer sheets work, a player gets a contract offer for another team and agrees to put a pen to paper and sign it. It isn't an offer sheet unless the player signs it.... he tried to get out of town and/or blackmail the team for more money right out of the gate.

- He signed an extension here when it looked like we were Stanley Cup favourites and were at the very top of the league. He wasn't taking a discount because he loved Vancouver, he was taking one for a good chance at a Cup.

- As soon as it looked like we weren't Cup bound anymore he demanded a trade.

- He lied about demanding a trade and is still lying about it, saying it was a mutual agreement. Two different GMs have told a different story.

- He limited his trade demand to one or two teams, greatly reducing the return for him. Benning, who has been really honest about everything, said repeatedly during that time he was one the phone every day with Kesler's agent trying to work it out. He reportedly had several better offers but Kesler wouldn't waive for those teams. There was serious discussion amongst the brass to tell him to stuff it and report to camp instead.

- The team had a players only meeting where they didn't invite him, and decided he shouldn't be an assistant captain. We will never know what happened in that locker room to cause that, but it is a serious reflection of his character that they did that.

- He get compensated $30 million dollars for that ten years here... so ya, we have paid for the right to boo him or whatever the hell we want. He can wipe his tears with $1,000 dollar bills to make himself feel better.

Sorry but some I agree with, some I disagree with and some I just find silly. How was he the main reason "officials hated" the Canucks? If the officials did hate the Canucks (I don't believe they do) but wouldn't a guy like Burrows be the bigger cause of that.

Really blaming someone for signing an offer sheet? That is being ridiculous. All players sign offer sheets that pay them significantly more than their team is offering. Its common business practice in the NHL, literally no one is going to turn down an offer sheet. Would you turn down a job if it offered more money than your current one? No and he knew the Canucks had the right to match it so if they didn't match that was on them not him.

How do you know that he didn't "love Vancouver"? Things change for players, its possible when he signed the deal that he absolutely loved being a Canuck and wanted to win in Vancouver as well. You are not Kesler so don't assume like you know what his motivations in signing a contract were.

I don't even like Kesler and I support the Canucks fans decision to boo him but there is no reason to invent reasons to dislike him, there are plenty of legitimate reasons already.

Just heard Kesler post game interview and good job...way to put a guy down that gave it his all here and gave us the best years this franchise has ever seen. Even more pissed now that it came out of Kes's mouth...still don't get why we booed...honestly have some of the dumbest 'fans' at games, it's like they have a brain dysfunction or something. Idk what it is but they sure don't seem like knowledgable hockey fans.

B28wLSCCQAAmoiC.png

tumblr_lmvz2sToIT1qcog44o1_400.gif

Idiots.

Handcuffing the team and bailing are things all good team players do. And they should be applauded for doing so. Leaving isn't the problem, how he went about doing it is. Feel free to keep being a White Knight about it though.

So are you going to boo Luongo too?

This is just another case of "oh ____ hurt my feelings, boo him" that so many fans seem to come down with.

At least people think enough of him to actually boo him. I would have preferred total apathy and indifference towards him myself. That would have REALLY pissed him off.

This.

I'm not one for booing players for the most part. (I also don't sarcastically chant a goalie's name.) Certainly don't think we should be booing a player just because he decided to no longer be here for whatever reason, though I do get why people are upset that he's never been honest about demanding a trade or explained. Still, nothing stays the same but change. He moved on and we have to too. What's the point of booing him like pissed off exes just because he didn't want to be with us anymore? We should have a little more self-respect than that and save our booing for players who actually do something to warrant it, like Duncan Keith. That fracker should be booed every second he exists in our sight line...

Sorry but some I agree with, some I disagree with and some I just find silly. How was he the main reason "officials hated" the Canucks? If the officials did hate the Canucks (I don't believe they do) but wouldn't a guy like Burrows be the bigger cause of that.

Really blaming someone for signing an offer sheet? That is being ridiculous. All players sign offer sheets that pay them significantly more than their team is offering. Its common business practice in the NHL, literally no one is going to turn down an offer sheet. Would you turn down a job if it offered more money than your current one? No and he knew the Canucks had the right to match it so if they didn't match that was on them not him.

How do you know that he didn't "love Vancouver"? Things change for players, its possible when he signed the deal that he absolutely loved being a Canuck and wanted to win in Vancouver as well. You are not Kesler so don't assume like you know what his motivations in signing a contract were.

I don't even like Kesler and I support the Canucks fans decision to boo him but there is no reason to invent reasons to dislike him, there are plenty of legitimate reasons already.

I said "one of" the main reasons we were hated by the refs and got the reputation as whiners and divers.

You are wrong when you say all players sign a offer sheets. The vast bulk of RFA negotiations are finalized with a reasonable and fair contract between the two parties. Almost every player could get more from another team.

You suggest that he "loved Vancouver", who knows... but his actions since have certainly made it clear that it was not one of his primary motivations. Vancouver is still Vancouver, the core of players is still the same... the thing that has changed is that we are no longer a contender he cut bait as fast as he could and decided he didn't want to honour his contract.

He said he wanted to go to Anaheim for a chance to win when he was traded... those were his words. I am not reading things into it or making assumptions.

"I'm turning 30 [on Aug. 31] and not only do I want to win the Stanley Cup, I want to be a big part of winning the Stanley Cup," Kesler said. "I'm not getting any younger. I want to win a championship. With the direction [Vancouver] is going, I think us and management just made a decision that it was time to move on."

Archived