The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Biega called up

Mackcanuck

How the heck is Don Cherry supposed to pronounce that?

Imagine a scoring play on HNIC,

After the icing Bonino and Brassard are on the draws in the Vancouver zone.

Bonino wins the draw to Burrows,

Burrows down to Bieksa,

Bieksa to the left to BIega,

Biega up the ice to Bo Horvat.

Horvat enters the zone drops for Biega,

Biega slap pass to Bieksa.

Bieksa scores!!!!

and Don cherry is wide eyed.

Imagine a scoring play on HNIC,

After the icing Bonino and Brassard are on the draws in the Vancouver zone.

Bonino wins the draw to Burrows,

Burrows down to Bieksa,

Bieksa to the left to BIega,

Biega up the ice to Bo Horvat.

Horvat enters the zone drops for Biega,

Biega slap pass to Bieksa.

Bieksa scores!!!!

and Don cherry is wide eyed.

I either just gained or lost some brain cells...

Is that Sanguinetti may have to clear waivers going down again a factor?

Considering it didn't matter when he was called up previously, no. If they don't play him in 10 games or keep him up for 30 days, they can send him back down without any waiver worries. Biega would require waivers anyways if he were to meet the aforementioned conditions.

Where did Biega come from?

Thanks for any info on him.

He's in his second season with Utica after being signed as a free agent by the Canucks during the summer of 2013.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Carol-Schram/Vancouver-Canucks-On-Home-Ice-Alex-Biega-Recalled-Holiday-Hockey-Books/194/64761

Like 'Outsider' said ,Biega was drafted by Buffalo in 2006.

Jim Benning was Buffalo's Director of Amateur Scouting and drafted him.

Benning is interviewed ust prior to the 2006 draft here:

http://downloads.sabres.nhl.com/podcasts/TMS-6-20-06.mp3

does anyone have bennings recent draft history ?

He was an assistant GM in Boston so he has no 'recent' draft history.

One has to look at his record in Buffalo where he was Director of Amateur Scouting there.

He was brought in to Boston as head of player personnel so take a look at this basic article on his record:

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2014/05/23/9-things-to-know-about-new-canucks-gm-jim-benning/

Happy for Biega. He deserves a call up, even if it's unlikely he'll actually play. From everything I've seen and read, he's having another solid year and has been one of Utica's best Ds.

That said, I still believe that if the Canucks were in more dire straights and needed someone to actually replace one of our top-six D, it would be Sanguinetti getting the call. But for press box duty, it's not good management to take away the Comets' best defenseman (Sangs).

Speaking of Sanguinetti, I continue to be impressed by how Benning handles the acquisition. He only played him with the Canucks during that split squad in Stockton that nobody saw (and no video available) and then quickly snuck him through waivers, along with Markstrom.

Those two players have been huge for the Comets, with Markstrom making an early case as a candidate for the Bastien Award, and Sanguinetti looking like he's a shoe in for making a return appearance as an AHL All Star. Both guys have played huge roles in Utica's success this season.

So if the Canucke get into situation where they need a guy to sub in for some significant minutes and help in a major role on the power play, they have Sanguinetti stashed away in Utica. But given how important he is to the Comets, I'm glad Benning hasn't called him up just to sit in the press box for insurance purposes.

These callups have more value for a guy like Biega, who can benefit from NHL practices, travelling with the guys, and just being around the coaches and player leadership group.

Not to say that there's no benefit from the same thing with Bobby, but he's also "been there, done that" with a couple NHL teams plus the KHL and is simply a more seasoned professional.

One last point is that I'm glad that the Canucks have called someone up from Utica's defense, because there was a bit of a numbers game happening with all their AHL-capable Ds. Hopefully, this move take some pressure off for long enough to allow Lafranchise to keep playing (he's seemed to get better every game and looks like he deserves to play) and also prevent roster pressures forcing Pedan down to the Zoo (ECHL).

Nice to see some younger fresh faces with the team, even if just for practice and some pressbox time. It ha to give players in Utica more motivation when these guys like Biega come back down and talk about their experiences with the big club.

Vancouver is finding more depth in the forward ranks more so, but this approach by Management is refreshing to see and I think creates a better atmosphere in the organization.

Archived