The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vrbata Trade Bait at the Deadline?

E Street Band

I can see Vrbata becoming available IF and only IF the Canucks fall quickly out of the playoff picture this year similar to last year. He's 33 years old, a non rental player for an acquiring team, a proven goal scorer and not in the long term plans of the canucks. A great off season signing because it pleased the vancouver market and it only cost us ownership money. If he can continue to score he'd surely secure a first if not second round pick come trade deadline and that is great value for a one year free agent signing as he can play out his second year with his new team. He won't cost a new team much money for cap purposes either. Also by eliminating a WRer, now Kassian steps into a lineup in need of a RW to show us what he can really do with some good ice time. I like Vrbata but if the canucks slide then I bet he'll be on his way and the canucks will do well with their return.

:picard:

Only signed for one more year and we need him to be a part of the transition progress IMO

Kass needs to earn his ice time not be given it by trading another player out of town

Trade bait maybe next season as a rental (if we're out of the playoff picture), but not this year

Assuming we're in that position where it makes sense to trade Vrbata, I think it's something you do only if he's willing. I think he came here because he saw promise and to play with the twins. But if that promise is out the window, what's the point? Everyone wants to win and it wouldn't be happening here. Or is it purely a business move and you trade him regardless of what he thinks about it?

The only way I can see that happening is if we're completely out of playoff contention by the trade deadline. Otherwise, hell no! He's on pace for 33 goals and is a big reason why our powerplay isn't near dead last in the league again.

Yes we'd have to be completely out of the race or Benning would never entertain this. But if we are out of that race......a first rounder for a free agent signing? I'd do it.

I can see Vrbata becoming available IF and only IF the Canucks fall quickly out of the playoff picture this year similar to last year. He's 33 years old, a non rental player for an acquiring team, a proven goal scorer and not in the long term plans of the canucks. A great off season signing because it pleased the vancouver market and it only cost us ownership money. If he can continue to score he'd surely secure a first if not second round pick come trade deadline and that is great value for a one year free agent signing as he can play out his second year with his new team. He won't cost a new team much money for cap purposes either. Also by eliminating a WRer, now Kassian steps into a lineup in need of a RW to show us what he can really do with some good ice time. I like Vrbata but if the canucks slide then I bet he'll be on his way and the canucks will do well with their return.

Can't believe a guy with a handle E Street Band, perhaps one of the greatest ensemble of musicians with arguably the greatest sax player in Clarence Clemons providing both a lead and support role to my favorite artist of all time, Bruce Springsteen, would suggest the trading of the one and only goal scorer/sniper on the Canucks.

Now that we got the hockey stuff out of the way, what's your fave Boss/E-Street tune/album of all time, E-Street? Mine is Jungleland/Born to Run.

Can't believe a guy with a handle E Street Band, perhaps one of the greatest ensemble of musicians with arguably the greatest sax player in Clarence Clemons providing both a lead and support role to my favorite artist of all time, Bruce Springsteen, would suggest the trading of the one and only goal scorer/sniper on the Canucks.

Now that we got the hockey stuff out of the way, what's your fave Boss/E-Street tune/album of all time, E-Street? Mine is Jungleland/Born to Run.

Bro, you need to dig into some John Coltrane, Sonny Rollins or Art Pepper.

Archived