The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vrbata Trade Bait at the Deadline?

E Street Band

Vrbata signed here to get Sedin time. Demoting him means he starts taking time off. It looks like WD's hands are tied.

I doubt we'll deal anyone as we're probably going to be close enough to the playoffs to keep people around. I just hope he doesn't burn picks and prospects for some weak rental, because doing that year after year after year has led to the weakened state we're in, where California dictates the play, Calgary can now beat us and Edmonton games are 1-goal affairs.

It's nuts to even think about trading V when he is hugely responsible for reviving the Sedins. Finally they have a bonafide winger who can finish. They've been the most consistent line all season. To trade him at the deadline would kill our chances at making the playoffs. Trading Vrbata would be like killing the gander that squired the golden goose.

Instead of starting hypothetical threads on trading him I would rather discuss just how much of a success he is proving on the team.

I knew he was a bit of a goal scorer but I had no idea he was so quick and worked so damned hard. That game last night, he took his work rate to a new level as far as I'm concerned.

My only regret is we didn't get him 2/3 seasons ago.

Agreed. To me, he is what is making the 1st line respectable. He plays a 200 foot game and most nights is the only one that is a threat to score. Sad, but Daniel doesn't really add anything that a number of other players couldn't provide. Vrbata can be effective and dangerous with anyone which we need to keep. The Sedins decline is continuing and taking him away (if they continue to play) will leave a gaping hole on that top line.

IF Vrbata is so good, how come he is barely on pace to equal Burrows stats while playing with the twins? Trade Vrbata reunite the top line and fill in Alex's spot on the 2 or 3 or 4 line- easy .

He is playing with much diminished Sedin brothers and still putting up good numbers. Burrows played with the twins when they were at their peak which is a far cry from the current version. Vrbata is far more dangerous offensively than Burrows.

This trading Vrbata talk is ONLY IF the Canucks have a repeat free fall like last season and are a certainty to miss out on the playoffs. If the Canucks remain in the playoff race well of course the Canucks will surely keep our best goal scorer. However if they slipped and trading Vrbata turns into a 1st rounder plus prospect and possibly more then I think the team has to do it. If canuck fans open our eyes we'd notice that it won't be long until we're at the bottom of the division looking up because of our ageing core and inexperienced prospects (Virtanen, McCann, Shinkaruk) are a ways away. Trading Vrbata would collect an additonal 1st rounder plus a prospect to add to our own 1st rounder. Add in Thatcher Demko, Horvat and perhaps Jensen and suddenly our rebuild looks very encouraging. We'd also have Vrbata's cap room to sign another free agent next year. Although trading away a free agent in his first year won't look so great to new free agent's thinking of signing here, I believe the player and player agents' understand that it didn't work out like the canucks had hoped, a long playoff run and players wouldn't completely shy away.

This trading Vrbata talk is ONLY IF the Canucks have a repeat free fall like last season and are a certainty to miss out on the playoffs. If the Canucks remain in the playoff race well of course the Canucks will surely keep our best goal scorer. However if they slipped and trading Vrbata turns into a 1st rounder plus prospect and possibly more then I think the team has to do it. If canuck fans open our eyes we'd notice that it won't be long until we're at the bottom of the division looking up because of our ageing core and inexperienced prospects (Virtanen, McCann, Shinkaruk) are a ways away. Trading Vrbata would collect an additonal 1st rounder plus a prospect to add to our own 1st rounder. Add in Thatcher Demko, Horvat and perhaps Jensen and suddenly our rebuild looks very encouraging. We'd also have Vrbata's cap room to sign another free agent next year. Although trading away a free agent in his first year won't look so great to new free agent's thinking of signing here, I believe the player and player agents' understand that it didn't work out like the canucks had hoped, a long playoff run and players wouldn't completely shy away.

The Canucks have a great future even without the extra 1st and prospect a Vrbata trade would garner.

I would also be inclined as to say that the Canucks benefit greatly in having such an intelligent, cultured, hard-working individual such as Vrbata in the room.

Some things cannot be measured.

IF Vrbata is so good, how come he is barely on pace to equal Burrows stats while playing with the twins? Trade Vrbata reunite the top line and fill in Alex's spot on the 2 or 3 or 4 line- easy .

Firstly what year was this and secondly how good were the Sedins that year?

Vbrata is on the way to 60 points this season at the age of 33 and playing with the "ageing" Sedins.

Burr only scored over 60 points once in 2009-10 playing with the Sedins in their prime and in a Stanley Cup Final destined (the next year) Canucks team.

I am not disputing Burr was good with the Sedins and might probably be good again but this is not the 60+ points Burr of 5 years ago.

In essence the premise of your post is flawed, Vbrata is the man to play with the Sedins at this time.

For all these reasons, I would rather move the Sedins and keep Vrbata. Putting our rookies with Vrabta will do more to assist them and keep the team competitive while our youngsters develop than having a 1st line of which 2/3 are declining steadily.

The twins have been great an deserve thanks and respect but to watch them play 20 minutes against a 28th placed team, with PP time and generate 0 shots is disturbing to say the least.

Lots of 1st lines get shut down some nights. it happens. But to not generate any reasonable opportunities even with the man advantage is a sign of decline. If they continue like this, I can't see them playing out their contracts.

Easy? Burrows isn't a 25 goal scorer anymore. I'd rather have a 30 goal scorer on my first line.

Burrows is on pace for 20 goals and plays with the twins on the rare time the Canucks get a power play.

Vrbata is on pace for 34 and always plays with the twins.

Switch those players and I think those numbers mostly get switched as well. If the deal is right, then anyone can be moved.

I don't think trading a guy you signed as a free agent is any worse than asking a player with a NTC to waive it.

Benning has already done that and has said he would do it again if needed, so Radim is just as tradeable as the others in my eyes.

He is playing with much diminished Sedin brothers and still putting up good numbers. Burrows played with the twins when they were at their peak which is a far cry from the current version. Vrbata is far more dangerous offensively than Burrows.

As of right now. IMO solely with the twins

Peak Burrows > Peak Vrbata

Purely on the way Burr thinks and plays the game. Vrbata needs big bodies to crash, bang, and feed him. He's solid at finding the open space to snipe but rarely engages in physical battles.

I'm surprised more people aren't mentioning trading Richardson

He's a UFA and we could run the risk of him leaving and the team getting nothing

He's the type of player that other teams going on a playoff run would pay up for

On the other side of the coin he plays a position we don't have a lot of depth in and he would play an important role on the canucks if we made the playoffs

Then we can sign some other free agent, stick him with the Sedins, boost his value, trade his ass too, and repeat. What a potential asset factory for the rebuild! Assuming we actually get 1st rounders or decent prospects for these guys instead of what's been happening lately.

if Perron can fetch a first rounder I would hope Verbata gets us at least that much as well

If we can get a 1st rounder and whatever else we can get, absolutely I would trade him. But teams are probably not keen on the extra $5mil season.

We won't get a 1st but we could get "whatever else". I'm guessing a 2nd rounder is more likely.

Archived