The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2 Bourne sequels planned for 2016

Offensive Threat

Was looking around on IMDB and saw "untitled Bourne sequel" starring Matt Damon with a 2016 release and "untitled Bourne sequel" starring Jeremy Renner with a 2016 release have both been announced.

The Matt Damon one lists Paul Greengrass as the rumored director. He directed The Bourne Supremacy and The Bourne Ultimatum. After Bourne Ultimatum Greengrass had said he was finished with series but hes already confirmed as a producer on this one and he and Damon are co writing the screenplay so hes definitely not finished. People seem to forget Damon already has an academy award for co writing the screenplay to Goodwill Hunting so hes got the goods. Those who say only Damon can play Jason Bourne will get their wish. So thats interesting...

I liked The Bourne Legacy. I like Jeremy Renner so it was an easy movie to like. Too many people went in wanting to hate it and guess what, they hated it. Anyway it apparently did well enough for a sequel. Justin Lin is directing. He is best known for directing the last 4 Fast and Furious movies (number 6 made an insane amount of money. Like almost $800 million worldwide) and he is directing Star Trek 3 which is in pre production right now. Star Trek is a HUGE franchise so the studio obviously has a lot of faith in him.

So the initial word on when they will be released in 2016 is the Renner one July 2nd and the Matt Damon one July 29th. That isnt written in stone and release dates can and do change but on big releases its usually fairly accurate.

I wanted a Bourne movie with both of them in it. But 2 movies make twice the money is the studios thinking.

These sequels havent started filming yet so no trailers or promo video to show you yet.

What will it be based on? The first three were based on the novels. I hope they find a way for this to work cause it was basically pretty much done in the last movie. He discovered his identity and finally found peace was wrapped up pretty nicely.

Still though I'm a huge fan of the series and will probably watch them.

I actually didnt like the Ludlum Novels. I still think they stink and it was a miracle they were able to make such great movies out of them. They got further from the source material with each of the 3 original movies and by ultimatum it was pretty well just the title alone that was the same. For both sequels Ludlum is credited with characters only so it seems these are completely new stories. Whether thats good or bad is hard to say.

What will it be based on? The first three were based on the novels. I hope they find a way for this to work cause it was basically pretty much done in the last movie. He discovered his identity and finally found peace was wrapped up pretty nicely.

Still though I'm a huge fan of the series and will probably watch them.

? I don't think you read the novels...

I actually didnt like the Ludlum Novels. I still think they stink and it was a miracle they were able to make such great movies out of them. They got further from the source material with each of the 3 original movies and by ultimatum it was pretty well just the title alone that was the same. For both sequels Ludlum is credited with characters only so it seems these are completely new stories. Whether thats good or bad is hard to say.

Could not disagree more. Carlos the Jackal and Alex Conklin were sweet characters (not to mention his Canadian wife). The movies were/are a massive letdown.

Coming in 2016:

The Bourne Redundancy

this.

leave it to Hollywood to milk the crap out of a succesfull movie/franchise until it turns into complete money grabbing garbage (matrix, Saw, Rocky etc..etc..)

I only watched the first one, thought it was ok and never bothered watching the endless sequels..

Coming in 2016:

The Bourne Redundancy

Greengrass actually said that after wrapping The Bourne Ultimatum. When asked if he would direct any more Bourne movies he replied "what would we call them? the Bourne redundancy?"

Ludlum only wrote 3 Bourne novels. After his death another writer, Eric Van Lustbader, took over the series and has written 9 sequels. The first of which was The Bourne Legacy.

this.

leave it to Hollywood to milk the crap out of a succesfull movie/franchise until it turns into complete money grabbing garbage (matrix, Saw, Rocky etc..etc..)

I only watched the first one, thought it was ok and never bothered watching the endless sequels..

The Bourne Supremacy and Ultimatum were fantastic movies - even better than the first.

Archived