The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Study: Houston considered best market to add an NHL team

Lots of debate about potential NHL expansion markets. Here is one for Houston, Texas. Best Markets: http://www.bizjournals.com/bizjournals/news/2015/04/09/sportmain.html?page=all

Houston's Ranking: http://www.bizjournals.com/bizjournals/news/2015/04/09/market08.html

Local Article: http://blog.chron.com/sportsupdate/2015/04/study-houston-considered-best-market-to-add-an-nhl-team/#29954101=0

Posted on April 10, 2015 | By Greg Rajan

Pro hockey has been gone since the Aeros left Houston nearly two years ago, but if the NHL were to come to the Bayou City, the market would be a good fit.

That’s according to a new study by the American City Business Journals.

In its study, ACBJ examined each market’s total personal income (TPI), which is money earned by all residents in a given year. It compared the local income base to the financial needs of MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL and MLS teams to determine if a new franchise would thrive.

Houston is one of 15 open NHL markets that was given a perfect score of 100 (70-99 is considered a borderline base, while a score below 70 is an indicator that the market’s income base is insufficient to support a team). Houston’s total personal income was calculated at $335 billion, with a TPI surplus of $124 billion to support an NHL team.

Here are other open NHL markets with perfect scores (the full list of markets studied can be found here):

• Albany, N.Y.
  • Austin
  • Birmingham, Ala.
  • Cape Coral-Fort Myers, Fla.
  • Grand Rapids, Mich.
  • Harrisburg, Pa.
  • Hartford, Conn.
  • Las Vegas
  • Orlando, Fla.
  • Richmond, Va.
  • Rochester, N.Y.
  • Sacramento, Calif.
  • Tulsa, Okla.
  • Virginia Beach-Norfolk, Va.

The NHL has not expanded since Columbus and Minnesota joined the league in 2000. The last team to relocate was Atlanta to Winnipeg in 2011. Las Vegas is in the midst of a ticket drive for a potential franchise.

Lots of debate about potential NHL expansion markets. Here is one for Houston, Texas. Best Markets: http://www.bizjournals.com/bizjournals/news/2015/04/09/sportmain.html?page=all

Houston's Ranking: http://www.bizjournals.com/bizjournals/news/2015/04/09/market08.html

Local Article: http://blog.chron.com/sportsupdate/2015/04/study-houston-considered-best-market-to-add-an-nhl-team/#29954101=0

Posted on April 10, 2015 | By Greg Rajan

Pro hockey has been gone since the Aeros left Houston nearly two years ago, but if the NHL were to come to the Bayou City, the market would be a good fit.

That’s according to a new study by the American City Business Journals.

In its study, ACBJ examined each market’s total personal income (TPI), which is money earned by all residents in a given year. It compared the local income base to the financial needs of MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL and MLS teams to determine if a new franchise would thrive.

Houston is one of 15 open NHL markets that was given a perfect score of 100 (70-99 is considered a borderline base, while a score below 70 is an indicator that the market’s income base is insufficient to support a team). Houston’s total personal income was calculated at $335 billion, with a TPI surplus of $124 billion to support an NHL team.

Here are other open NHL markets with perfect scores (the full list of markets studied can be found here):

• Albany, N.Y.
  • Austin
  • Birmingham, Ala.
  • Cape Coral-Fort Myers, Fla.
  • Grand Rapids, Mich.
  • Harrisburg, Pa.
  • Hartford, Conn.
  • Las Vegas
  • Orlando, Fla.
  • Richmond, Va.
  • Rochester, N.Y.
  • Sacramento, Calif.
  • Tulsa, Okla.
  • Virginia Beach-Norfolk, Va.

The NHL has not expanded since Columbus and Minnesota joined the league in 2000. The last team to relocate was Atlanta to Winnipeg in 2011. Las Vegas is in the midst of a ticket drive for a potential franchise.

No Seattle or Portland Ore., very interesting. I guess this is Bettman's blue print.

These guys have also indicated that Hamilton and Quebec City are better markets for NBA expansion than Vancouver. I really don't lend much credence to what they have to say,

I'm unsure of what their markers/indicators are really, but they aren't relevant. Quebec City actually scored higher as an NBA market than an NHL one. Lol.

These guys have also indicated that Hamilton and Quebec City are better markets for NBA expansion than Vancouver. I really don't lend much credence to what they have to say,

I'm unsure of what their markers/indicators are really, but they aren't relevant. Quebec City actually scored higher as an NBA market than an NHL one. Lol.

What you don't seem to get is that Vancouver is a horrid expansion option for the nba. For that reason alone, Hamilton and QC are better options.

No Seattle or Portland Ore., very interesting. I guess this is Bettman's blue print.

seattle is an 88, portland is an 82. both near the top of the borderline capacity metric.

and this is only 1 of numerous metrics that would be considered.

seattle is an 88, portland is an 82. both near the top of the borderline capacity metric.

Portland has the winter hawks. The first time I went there I thought to myself, how does this place not have a NHL team.

If any of you have ever been there you'll know what I'm talking about.

Exactly, this appears to be strictly looking at income capability of the potential fan base, with no factoring what percentage of that income base would actually be interested in hockey.

Houston is about as good as Seattle, yet everyone fawns over Seattle because it's North and will dismiss Houston because it's in the South.

Personally I think there should be no expansion, but perhaps a couple relocations.

Houston is about as good as Seattle, yet everyone fawns over Seattle because it's North and will dismiss Houston because it's in the South.

Personally I think there should be no expansion, but perhaps a couple relocations.

Houston actually has a modern NHL-sized arena ready-- Toyota Center.

seattle already has it's name on the cup, houston does not.

Get ready to be disappointed then because LV is certainly going to be an expansion franchise and it will be announced in short order. A second one will be coming within 3 years, probably Seattle.

I think there will be two relocations, Florida and Arizona, and that is where Houston might be a second option.

Houston actually has a modern NHL-sized arena ready-- Toyota Center.

Houston could make some sense but I still firmly believe it is below KC in the NHL's desires.

KC also has the Sprint Centre which is NHL ready.

Archived