The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Van trades to Edm for Connor McDavid

No it's not. Quality >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Quantity. There is zero chance that trade would get anywhere near McDavid from the Oilers.

They have cap space and young assets to trade to fill all those spots our in most cases terrible depth players would be filling for them. And with McDavid they will have a superstar that players around the league will want a chance to play with.

You can't be serious?

You could offer Bo, Virt, Hunter, Jensen, all our picks and a future consideration that gives them our next top five pick and it's not getting done.

No one anywhere has anything that will get the Oilers to trade that pick

Now before anyone gets in my ear about skill and unproven value and all that you have to take into consideration how much value this brings the Oilers. McDavid puts them as a sudden NHL darling. You cannot put a price on that.

He will not be traded for anything.

You can't be serious?

Would you want the Canucks to make that trade if the situation was reversed? I wouldn't. Elite players are hard enough to find. Drafting them is almost always the only way to get them. And they surely do not get traded for a crap return like that.

MacMillan is waiver fodder. Bieksa is all but useless now and does not help the Oilers D where it needs help. Same thing with Sbisa. He is not what they need. Higgins is a great bottom 6 guy but there are many of those available through lower trades or free agency.

McDavid is a potential generational superstar. The rest of their team is full of young players he can grow with. Why the hell would Edmonton trade that for the package proposed? Not in a million years would they even consider it.

They will make other trades and explore free agency long before they give up a lottery ticket like that. They didn't trade their pick for Hall, Yakupov, RNH. Why would they trade the best one yet? And not even for younger in their prime players but older vets who show that their leadership and ability to help the team are seriously lacking come playoff time.

Would you want the Canucks to make that trade if the situation was reversed? I wouldn't. Elite players are hard enough to find. Drafting them is almost always the only way to get them. And they surely do not get traded for a crap return like that.

MacMillan is waiver fodder. Bieksa is all but useless now and does not help the Oilers D where it needs help. Same thing with Sbisa. He is not what they need. Higgins is a great bottom 6 guy but there are many of those available through lower trades or free agency.

McDavid is a potential generational superstar. The rest of their team is full of young players he can grow with. Why the hell would Edmonton trade that for the package proposed? Not in a million years would they even consider it.

They will make other trades and explore free agency long before they give up a lottery ticket like that. They didn't trade their pick for Hall, Yakupov, RNH. Why would they trade the best one yet? And not even for younger in their prime players but older vets who show that their leadership and ability to help the team are seriously lacking come playoff time.

Just so you don't embarrass yourself further, the original premise was a joke. It was so clearly a joke no one can understand how you couldn't figure it out.

Really?

I wouldn't take that much for granted just yet...

I remember when Pitts tanked for Lemieux it was a similar scenario as this year. The Crosby one was different, it was a closed door lottery, that seemed shady perhaps.

But back then the Canucks were trying to make the playoffs so their owners could make some cash, but they should have tanked. I said it then, I would trade the entire Canucks team for Lemieux.

If you have a generational talent you can build more then a cup winning team, you can build a dynasty.

I just want to see a cup in Van before I die. We have been Toronto west for the last 45 years. Instead of building a team, we do enough to sell tickets and hope.

Someday, I can hope we get a owner who will be willing to pay the price for the chance to draft a generational talent.

Nothing No offer Vancouver would be willing to make in a salary cap world will be enough to get McDavid

If Vancouver could maybe do a 3 way deal where they traded assets to Edmonton that Edm could then deal to another team, you might make it work, but probably wouldn't happen. Could be an interesting way to blow up the team if you dealt a bunch of roster players and filled in new ones around McDavid.

I wonder, has anyone considered the fact that Buffalo may actually have interest in trading Eichel? The return for the 2nd overall pick would be monstrous in it's own right.

Buffalo's current center depth is Reinhart > Girgenson > Grigorenko > Hodgson

Consider this:

Horvat, Hamhuis, Lack and our 1st

Hamhuis - Bogosian is a great T4 pairing, Zadorov and Ristolinen is another good pairing.

Reinhart - Horvat as their 1-2 is formidable.

Throw in they also have Evander Kane who will be with them next season.

Sedin > Eichel > Bonino > Vey with McCann and Cassels in the wings is good depth as well.

I dunno, just spit ballin'

Baertschi - Eichel - Kassian that'd be a fun line to watch

I honestly think you people overvalue what one player can do.

Crosby is... Crosby. Look at how well his team faired this year, not to mention that team has a Norris-caliber defenceman, Malkin who is arguable the strongest 2C in the game... and that team got knocked out in the first round faster than the Canucks did.

Single players do not make teams but giving up the Sedins, Horvat and 3 future 1st rounders would sure decimate the Canucks future.

Sure, we have great first line threat, maybe one of the best in the game. Meanwhile the rest of our roster is filled with plugs.

McDavid has more than on ice value. The team that drafts McDavid is going to make a lot of money because of it.

which ever team gets Mcdavid is going to build around him not add him to an aging core and they will most likely be a great team with many oppritunites to win the cup. Mcdavid will also be paid under a entry level contract for his first few years before signing a multi 6 million dollar per year contract so trading the twins at 14million per year for him would never ever happen.

Archived