The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What was with WD?

Canucks Curse

Maybe I am being too hard on him but to me WD looked like the most rookie coach I have ever seen. Thoroughly out coached but it was easy as he made basic mistakes that anyone studying coaching could avoid.

1. Playing top players

- Sedins - it's obvious

Linden and Sedins asked for more time after game 3, how did WD respond, he played them the same amount until we were down by 2 in the last 5 min and then he played them 3 min straight at the end of the game- real smart!

That's right, forget match ups, forget putting them out against the 4th line and Derek eglland and Witherspoon or whatever (15s total against him in the first 4 games, although he didn't play much)

Puts them out at the end down by 2 when Calgary packs their end and it's harder to make plays, the other 3 players on the ice are nervous and Calgary is confident

Should have put them out more and earlier, after timeouts, icings, commercial breaks

2. Combos

Vrabata - why not double shift him once burrows is injured, double shift him a few times and get his minutes over 20, 21, he was their MVP in the regular season

Double shift him after timeouts and commercial breaks EARLY in the game not the last 5 min

Horvat- tied for team lead in points, yet he stays buried on the 4th line

No, do not put him on the second line between Bonino (who played LW in ANA and vrabat who WD insisted should be on the 2nd L)

3. Minutes

Horvat- too few

Bieksa, Sbisa- too little

Tanev, Edler- too few

Sedins, vrabata, too few total and together.

4.players Health

- perhaps the most egregious error

-played Miller when he said he wasnt close to healthy when he had Eddie who was arguably the better goalie this year when miller WAS 100%

I am just confused as to why he made such basic errors?

Perhaps someone who know more about hockey can tell me.

His reasoning was basically that we were a four line team, and that's what made us so good this season. That's why the Sedins ice time wasn't that high. As for Vrbata, he was not having a great start to the playoffs, and WD saw Hansen as a better fit when Burrows went down. Vrbata was moved to the second for line balance, so we could have a threat on more than one line. As for minutes, Horvat gets the least because he has no PP time. I'm not sure why, but he wasn't given a clear chance on the PP, but maybe next year. Miller was 100%. He was just rusty. Lack showed that he couldn't handle the pressure in Calgary in both games 3 & 4. Miller played great in game 5, our shoddy defence was to blame on most goals in game 6.

It's not on Willie 100%. The team didn't play well on the ice, and in the end it's up to them to perform.

Willie needs to be better, but the team responds the way it did with Vigneault and Torts, by crumbling.

So many of these guys have been here way too long and need to go (Sorry, Juice)

He's a rookie coach, and a loyal one at that. He was doing what worked in the season.

but was dumb enough to not play his star players when it matters most in the playoffs and not put vrbata and the sedins. He puts Hansen insted even though he literally said he wasn't comfortable playing with the twins. We literally signed the guy to play with them. Great season by him, huge fail in postseason. What was he resting the twins for? Round 2? what a joke his 4 line thing wasn't gonna work in playoffs but he was to stubborn to change.

but was dumb enough to not play his star players when it matters most in the playoffs and not put vrbata and the sedins. He puts Hansen insted even though he literally said he wasn't comfortable playing with the twins. We literally signed the guy to play with them. Great season by him, huge fail in postseason. What was he resting the twins for? Round 2? what a joke his 4 line thing wasn't gonna work in playoffs but he was to stubborn to change.

There's such a thing as learning from your mistakes though. Were you ever good at something the first time you tried it? It's WD's first season in the NHL. He learned from this, he will be different next year. He realized his mistakes, but it was too late.

There's such a thing as learning from your mistakes though. Were you ever good at something the first time you tried it? It's WD's first season in the NHL. He learned from this, he will be different next year. He realized his mistakes, but it was too late.

Oh believe me he will get better, I like the guy I was just ripping into him a bit, he will be better next year he just needs to be a little bit smarter and less stubborn.

Oh believe me he will get better, I like the guy I was just ripping into him a bit, he will be better next year he just needs to be a little bit smarter and less stubborn.

Yup, less stubborn is a huge one. It's like he was against change. He didn't have a whole lot of options since the Burr injury though, so I can't really put a lot of blame for not putting Vrby with the Twins.

Don't you mean:

"Bieksa,Sbisa - too MANY minutes?"

I was just going to say that, especially considering that he also said Tanev and Edler played too few minutes as well. There's only so many minutes in a game unless OP wants Hamhuis and Weber to play minutes like Doughty

Willie has to be the biggest reason we fell short. We had plenty of problems in that first round but a few major ones could have been dealt with by the coach. First Eddy should have started game 6 for so many reasons I cant put my finger on one of them. Second, when Burrows went down he should have thought why they brough Virbata herein the first place was to have a sniper on the first line with the Sedins, now even if his arguement was he wanted to keep the scoring threat balanced then the obvious answer was sven with the sedins and leave virbabta on the second line. I mean what do you have to loose Sven's a sniper and who better to put him with the our best feeders of the puck. I think we could of had a better chance if the coach made those decissions.

Disagree with coaching being the problem. Full credit to the Flames for their shot-blocking, and never folding. They were quicker on loose pucks, and never quit on themselves, even down 3-0.

If anything, the problem with the Canucks was indifferent play. It's only when their backs were against the wall that they picked it up. Game 2, they were in danger of holding the record for longest home playoff losing streak. Game 5, they were fighting for their playoff lives. Game 6, they were fighting for their playoff lives, and got a 3 goal cushion, and then it was indifferent play, and the Flames pounced on it.

Willie has to be the biggest reason we fell short. We had plenty of problems in that first round but a few major ones could have been dealt with by the coach. First Eddy should have started game 6 for so many reasons I cant put my finger on one of them. Second, when Burrows went down he should have thought why they brough Virbata herein the first place was to have a sniper on the first line with the Sedins, now even if his arguement was he wanted to keep the scoring threat balanced then the obvious answer was sven with the sedins and leave virbabta on the second line. I mean what do you have to loose Sven's a sniper and who better to put him with the our best feeders of the puck. I think we could of had a better chance if the coach made those decissions.

Why would you start Eddy when Miller played a rock solid game 5 (and game 4 after Eddy was pulled)?

I think he did a great job but to be honest i think he was doing what he is told.If you keep the 4 lines together for the whole series then the brass can make a true assessment of talent.It sure exposed the weakness of each line and what needs to be addressed.Maybe they can make an honest assessment of each persons talent and role.Then they can start fixing the real issues with this team.

I am grateful we are actually going in the right direction by hiring a rookie coach.I have a feeling with JB and Trevor Linden that they will start to build a winning culture and get this stuff fixed properly.

Thanks for the season and making the playoffs( The Aquillinnis thank you too im sure for the extra dough that maybe we can use on some more talent)Hint Hint.

He benched Kassian when ZK was on an 8 game point streak, took Corrado and Clendening out of the lineup for their mistakes but has long leash for Weber and Sbisa. Split Vrbata when he had instant chemistry with the Sedins and put him in a offensive black hole of a line. refused to reunite them in games where we badly needed a goals i can go on and on.

People act like the Canucks getting to the playoffs was some sort of huge accomplishment. Everyone were due for a bounce back year after last season and the addition of Vrbata and Miller paid huge dividends. Im not saying fire him now but if he continues to make these head scratching decisions and stubbornness i sense a short tenure here in Vancouver or in the NHL for WD.

Archived