The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What was with WD?

Canucks Curse

Fair enough I couldn't remember just that I think he had a really rough start, so I felt bad for him.

it was a little rough but only because he would let in 2 or 3 and lose a game. During the same stretch miller was letting in 4 and still winning. The team was scoring almost twice as much when miller was in net, felt like Eddie was cursed.

• 2 weeks later...

We won't actually know if Willie could have salvaged the series. Like it or not he had the rug pulled out from under him and we still lost. All the media idiots and their moron followers were crying about Willie Desjardin and his strategy. Linden admitted to talking to Willie about player usage. Now the idiots are whining about being out-coached when our coach was forced to change his strategy by pressure from said idiots. Next season, I hope Linden keeps his nose out of the coach's business. "You manage, Let Willie coach."

The most glaring coaching "error" took place in the first game. We were playing the third like we were trying to salvage a point and get it into overtime. No loser points in the Playoffs. That is on the coach and the players. I believe that had we won game one we would have won the series. Hiller being better than Lack was not Desjardins fault.

but was dumb enough to not play his star players when it matters most in the playoffs and not put vrbata and the sedins. He puts Hansen insted even though he literally said he wasn't comfortable playing with the twins. We literally signed the guy to play with them. Great season by him, huge fail in postseason. What was he resting the twins for? Round 2? what a joke his 4 line thing wasn't gonna work in playoffs but he was to stubborn to change.[/quote

Hindsight is 20-20. If the team did go on a run, playing four lines might have paid off.

Thats right ! The team needs to be rebuilt but they need a coach who can coach. Its not good enough to have one way to coach and that is to follow a predetermined plan. Hartley was way too smart for WD.

Apparently staying out of the penalty box was another thing the coach wanted, but the Canucks were real good on the PK. So there was no push back with Hartleys tactics. With a 3 goal lead WD did not manage a win. He appears to me to be just like a lot of minor league coaches.

The Canucks have not had a coach for a while now that can adjust in a game. Look what Hatley did; he pulled Hiller after 2 goals.

If Linden doesn't do some huge changes they will lose even more fans next season .

And now Hartley is getting out coached by Boudreaux. Have I got it right?

@ OP

You think they are basic mistakes but they are actually much more complex than they seem at face value. The players screwed WD to some extent. We made the playoffs and had great success being a 4 line team that played the top line relatively low minutes. It worked, the Sedins still were nearly a PPG and we had fantastic depth scoring (I mean, FFS even Matthias had 18 goals for goodness sake). Then we get to the playoffs and literally almost no one showed up, our depth died out completely and WD gets hung out to dry for trying to use a style that worked fantastically the entire way up to that point. By the time it was obvious our depth scoring had dried up, the adjustment was made, but it was more or less too late.

It is well known now that the Sedins did not ask for any more ice time. No need to make stuff up. Vrbata (yeah its actually Vrbata not Vrabata) didn't play on the Sedin line except in desperation situations (the last 5 minutes of games we were losing) because Willie wanted to spread out scoring throughout the lineup against a team that was only riding 3-4 defensemen and didn't have the resources to cover multiple lines.

Oh and you thought WD played Sbisa and Bieksa too little??? wat

Miller was healthy and really probably only said he wasn't 100% as a scapegoat if he didnt play well (numerous analysts said he was using it as an out if things went bad). He played great up to the last game and looked fine and healthy. WD said Miller told him he was ready to play. Complete BS to blame that on WD.

I agree Willie made some rookie mistakes but to be fair there were lots of Rookie mistakes and possibly systemic problems.

Starting from the top: if Aqua rally was responsible for the Torts signing, that take some of the blame off Gillis.

If he then follows that up by demanding a playoff team, that means both Trevor and Benning are acting as his puppets and Canuck fans can expect a free fall from here.

If Linden and Benning both entered into that scenario they have entered into a no win situation and should feel ashamed.

Benning and Linden came out a year ago and said they were going to bring the kids into a winning environment.

Now, I'd like that defined.

Is a 100 point season a winning environment?

or

Is a 33% WP in the playoffs a winning environment?

the Canucks were woeful at faceoffs all year and their defense looked disoriented all season as well, (good goaltending hid some of that) but not in the playoffs.

The GM did not address either issue at the trade deadline, but made the Baertchi deal that for this season at least worked almost exactly as well as the Kassian deal from the previous regime.

Once the playoffs started and the Canucks were getting run out of their own rink, Benning did nothing to solve the size differential but brought up Beartchi who Brian Burke already deemed expendable. Then Baertchi sits out the 1st game and plays 8 mins the next. At 8 mins. a game maybe they could have used Archibald, is Ferland really that much better?

As others have mentioned the Canuck youngsters are all on the SLOW progression learning curve and the management and coaches seem to be on the same path.

@ OP

You think they are basic mistakes but they are actually much more complex than they seem at face value. The players screwed WD to some extent. We made the playoffs and had great success being a 4 line team that played the top line relatively low minutes. It worked, the Sedins still were nearly a PPG and we had fantastic depth scoring (I mean, FFS even Matthias had 18 goals for goodness sake). Then we get to the playoffs and literally almost no one showed up, our depth died out completely and WD gets hung out to dry for trying to use a style that worked fantastically the entire way up to that point. By the time it was obvious our depth scoring had dried up, the adjustment was made, but it was more or less too late.

It is well known now that the Sedins did not ask for any more ice time. No need to make stuff up. Vrbata (yeah its actually Vrbata not Vrabata) didn't play on the Sedin line except in desperation situations (the last 5 minutes of games we were losing) because Willie wanted to spread out scoring throughout the lineup against a team that was only riding 3-4 defensemen and didn't have the resources to cover multiple lines.

Oh and you thought WD played Sbisa and Bieksa too little??? wat

Miller was healthy and really probably only said he wasn't 100% as a scapegoat if he didnt play well (numerous analysts said he was using it as an out if things went bad). He played great up to the last game and looked fine and healthy. WD said Miller told him he was ready to play. Complete BS to blame that on WD.

Far too logical and deep for some on here. Great post.

But of course it will make little difference to some of them. :)

What do you mean whats was with Willie? He looked fine to me...

k9gb3Cl.jpg

But the OP makes some good points. Willie had some misteps and was out coached badly by Hartley. But some fans here seem to think Willie walks on water and can do no wrong.

I've been hearing that a lot on here lately and I havent seen a single person actually explain how and why he was out coached so badly by Hartley.

Archived