Burrows-Bonino-Jensen

Kenins-McCann-Dorsett

Edler-Erhoff ( 2 years 4 million )

Sbisa-Tanev

Hamhuis-Corrado

( bye bye Juice )

Lack

Markstrom

love that forward lineup, probably not next year but I'd love to see that in 2018-19 maybe.

There's 2 cultural aspects that come mind when I think of next year's team:

1/ Is Willie going to continue to roll 4 lines (can we load up 3 lines and run an AHL 4th or do we need to keep 4 NHL lines)

2/ The current status of goaltending overall in the league (elite teams have elite goalies, and that won't change...everybody else can roll with 2).

So with those two thoughts in mind, here's what I see for next year:

FORWARDS

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows (1 more year)

Baertschi-VERMETTE-Vrbata (rent Vermette-legit #2-for 1 year)

Bonino-Horvat-Kassian

Dorsett-Kenins-Vey-Hansen

OUT: Higgins (trade) / Matthias (walks) / Richardson (walks) / MacMillan (walks)

IN: Baertschi (re-sign) / VERMETTE (UFA) / Kenins (re-sign) / Vey (re-sign)

DEFENCE

Edler-Tanev

Hamhuis-Bieksa (1 more year)

Sbisa-Stanton-Clendening

OUT: Biega (walk) / Weber (walk) / Sanguinetti (walk)

IN: Stanton (re-sign) / Clendening (re-sign)

GOAL

Lack

NEUVIRTH (stop-gap for 2 or 3 years)

OUT: Miller (trade...I'm thinking SJS or DAL) / Markstrom (walk...he'll head back to Sweden)

IN: NEUVIRTH (UFA)

If we can get the following re-signs and UFA's:

Baertschi (1.750)

VERMETTE (3.750)

Kenins (1.500)

Vey (1.500)

Stanton (1.000)

Clendening (1.250)

NEUVIRTH (3.250)

Then our CAP HIT would be 71.244 (incl Luongo)

It's a bit ambitious to expect Matthias and Horvat to be 2nd line players in the NHL next season. Here's what I would like our roster to look like:

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Vey/Jensen/Baertschi - Bonino - Vbrata

Kenins - Horvat - Hansen

Shinkaruk/Gaunce/Dorsett - Matthias - Burrows

Simply put, if the kids (Vey/Jensen/Baertschi) don't produce then Burrows moves up. If they have success, leave them there. Likewise if the 4th line grinding kids like Shinkaruk or Gaunce don't do well, slot Dorsett back in. I really hope Dorsett isn't heavily relied on next season because he was brutal defensively (shocking Corsi proves that).

Edler - 5M star through trade or UFA (Franson if we have to settle for him)

Hamhuis - Tanev

Sbisa - veteran defenceman (around 2M, 1 year) from UFA or trade

Stanton

Corrado

Miller

Lack

What our roster will PROBABLY look like next season:

Sedin - Sedin - Vbrata

Hansen - Bonino - Burrows

Dorsett - Horvat - Kassian

Baertschi - Matthias - Vey

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Sbisa - Corrado

Benning will most likely ask Bieksa to waive, he won't, and we'll just have to wait out Hamhuis and Bieksa's contracts. I'd love for us to flip Bieksa for a pick (say 2nd or 3rd) or possibly package him up with a prospect like Jensen for an A-grade young defenceman, but that's a big bold move that would take a long time to develop. I don't think we'll see drastic changes on defence, which is what we desperately need. Sbisa can stay, provided he's playing limited (I'm talking 15) minutes a night but Bieksa needs to be replaced and we need some offence in that top-4 that brought next to nothing from the blueline last season.

^^ It was a numbers game...Vermette vs. Fleischman. I think we can sign Vermette for 3.750 for 1 year whereas Fleischman will be looking for more like 4.500 mil for at least 3 seasons. I'd prefer Fleischman but I think both would have instant chemistry with Vrbata and give us a legit 2 scoring-line team again.

^^^ There are also a number of young 2nd line Centremen that we COULD go after and eventually turn them into our future #1 but the cost would be steep and we probably have time (if we can pickup a stop gap in the meantime) to wait and see if anyone in our own system will step up. Remember when the Sedins were our #2 line? We had the WCE ahead of them while we waited. Can we do something similar? Not sure we have a future #1 like Henrik, so we may have to bite the bullet and go get one now...but again...it'll cost us.

I think they probably leave Virtanen for another year unless he really blows away management. I don't know too much about how he's doing, there are a lot here that know a lot more than me about it, but is his situation comparable to Horvat's? Horvat was supposedly completely ready to play at the NHL level. Would a year of junior do Virtanen some good?

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian/Vrbata
Baertschi-Bonino-Vrbata/Kassian

Dorsett-Vey-Burrows

Shinkaruk-Horvat-Hansen
Kenins

*I think once again, that the Horvat line is actually a defacto second/third line but they start off as the fourth line to give Shink some sheltered minutes before ramping up their minutes. Totally dependent on if Hansen and Horvat have that chemistry again this season though. If Shink doesn't make the team, maybe Jensen does, or maybe we sign a forward in FA since I think our defence is likely going to stay much the same for the upcoming season.

Edler-Tanev

Hamhuis-Stanton/Clendening/Corrado

Sbisa - Bieksa

Don't see either Bieksa or Hamhuis being pushed out this year due to the NTCs, so I think we probably just let the contracts play out.

*Trade Hansen (free up $2.5M); Plug in Dorsett

- HK

You are undervaluing the contributions that Hansen makes to this team. The only thing he doesn't do is fight like Dorsett but he does so much more.

Hansen is a very valuable and quite under rated player.

It's possible Bieksa would waive his NTC to the right team, probably most likely a contender but what team would want to take him though?

I'd like to see how Shinkaruk and Subban do in this year's training camp as both of these guys may be a surprise, as for Virtanen he's looked pretty good in Calgary and I think he can secure a roster spot. love to see this line Kenins Horvat Virtanen would be interesting to see. Players that need to go though are Bieksa, Higgins, and Burrows possibly if we were to keep one player I would keep Burrows.

Sedin, Sedin, Kass

Baer, Bonino, Vrbata

Burrows, Horvat, Hansen

Higgins,????, Dorsett

Vey

Edler, Green (or similar)

Sbisa, Tanev

Hamhuis, Bieksa

Stanton, Clendening/Corrado

Lack, Markstrom

If Virtanen can make the club, Higgins gets moved and one of Hansen/Dorsett move to LW.

If we can get the following re-signs and UFA's:

Baertschi (1.750)

VERMETTE (3.750)

Kenins (1.500)

Vey (1.500)

Stanton (1.000)

Clendening (1.250)

NEUVIRTH (3.250)

Then our CAP HIT would be 71.244 (incl Luongo)

You don't have a clue how qualifying offers for RFAs work and when to exercise QOs, do you?

Baertschi, Kenins, Vey, Clendening will still be RFAs after this year and none of these guys have proven anything as a pro, so why would anyone in their right mind offer them anything other than a one year QO?

Why would you sign Vermette who can barely crack the 'hawks lineup and plays a little over 13 minutes a contract?

And Neuvirth, a career backup at $3.25M? Neuvirth will be lucky to get anyone to offer him half what he made on his last contract.

Long time lurker for a few years, but thought I'd throw my two cents in. All numbers are from NHL Numbers. I don't know much about the UFA/RFA list, but I wanted to see what our team would look like if we kept things in-house in terms of players. My guess is that the next season will be the last transition year before management really decides to "clean house" so to speak.

Forwards

Luckily for us, we have a steady stream of prospects

1st Line: Sedin ($7 million) - Sedin ($7 million) - Kassian ($2 million)

I think it's time that we gave the Sedin/Kassian experiment a long hard look. It'll support the youth movement of what the management is trying to do and give Kassian an opportunity to expand his role and develop as a power forward. If this fails, we know we have two other options in Vrbata and Burrows so there's very little downside to this in my opinion.

2nd Line: Burrows ($4 million) - Horvat ($.925 million) - Vrbata ($5 million)

There are worse ideas than giving Horvat a crack at second line centre. I think he was one of our best players in the playoffs this year and he will definitely be one of the cornerstone pieces of our organization moving forward. There's talk of trading Vrbata, but I think we'd be hard pressed to replace his 30+ goals. Some say he was invisible in the playoffs, but points wise, he put up the same totals as Alexander Steen, Ryan Getzlaf, and Rick Nash in the first round all while playing with less ice time (source: NHL.com stats). Burrows has heart and would do well in mentoring Horvat. He had a good bounce-back season and I think he has some years left in him.

3rd Line: Baertschi ($.875 million) - Bonino ($1.9 million) - Dorsett ($3.1 million)

I'm a sucker for alliteration, but I think Bonino would be a great option for a third-line centre that doesn't break the bank and can chip in offensively from time to time. I really like what I saw from Baertschi during the season closer with Edmonton. Dorsett adds some grit to this line and could be interchangeable with Hansen if this line needed a boost in speed.

4th Line: Kenins ($.753 million) - McCann ($.925 million) - Hansen ($2.5 million)

I would love it if we kept Richardson, but I think management will steadily cycle out our older players to make way for our prospects. Giving McCann a shot would earn him some valuable NHL experience and Kenins has proved to be a great physical player, which we could really use more of. Hansen provides a speedy option for this line and a good mentor. If McCann doesn't work out, we always have Vey.

Press box: Vey ($.772 million) - Virtanen ($.925 million)

I'm still not 100% sold on Vey, but I think he's a decent option for a fourth-line plug for next year before we get a clearer picture of him. Virtanen represents any of our prospects that could make camp and step up for the following year in case of injuries.

Total Cap for Forwards: $37.675 million

Defence

Our defence is a little trickier because we have number of players with many dollars on their contracts and no clear power play quarterback. It's good, but not great. I defer to more hockey-oriented minds to tell me what is wrong, but with the following pairings, we have a good mix of veterans, prospects, and a balance of left-handed and right-handed shots.

1st Pairing: Edler ($6 million) - Tanev ($2.5 million)

I simply don't see management throwing $5 - $7 million at Mike Green and unless I am missing something, there are no names that really jump out on the UFA/RFA lists (Erhoff? Schultz?) so I think we're sticking with Edler and Tanev for our first pairing and. Edler had a fantastic bounce back year and Tanev is starting to shine in his role so I think we're good here.

2nd Pairing: Hamhuis ($4.25 million) - Weber ($.892 million)

I'd really like us to keep Bieksa for his leadership, but I don't think he'll be back for next year. Hamhuis I think will ride out his contract with the team and Weber gives us an interesting option on the power play post-Sami Salo.

3rd Pairing: Sbisa ($3.2 million) - Corrado ($.632 million)

Sbisa is clearly not going anywhere and he does provide a youthful presence on our defence along with a physical one. Corrado is here mainly because of his right-handed shot and the fact that he has NHL experience.

Pressbox: Adam Clendening ($.859 million)

We took him for a reason.

Total Cap for Defence: $18.333 million

Goalies

"Starter": Ryan Miller ($6 million)

"Back-up": Eddie Lack ($1.3 million)

Note the quotation marks. I'm envisioning a 50/30 split. Miller provides more veteran presence while Lack develops into a full-time starter and gains confidence for the post-season.

Total Cap Hit for Goalies: $7.3 million

Summary

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Burrows-Horvat-Vrbata

Baertschi-Bonino-Dorsett

Kenins-McCann-Hansen

Vey-Virtanen

Edler-Tanev

Hamhuis-Weber

Sbisa-Corrado

Clendening

Miller

Lack

Total Cap Hit: $63.308 million

Other RFAs to Sign:

Stanton ($.605 million)

Markstrom ($1.4 million) ???

Conacher ($.660 million)

Total: $2.665

Total Actual Cap Hit: $65.973

Cap Available: $6 million to $8 million

Departed Players: Higgins, Matthias, Richardson, Bieksa, McMillan

Remaining RFA/UFA Prospects: Eriksson, Zalewski, Grenier, Friesen, Acton, Andersson, Archibald, Cannata, O'Reilley

Possible Players to Target via Free Agency: Cody Franson, Christian Erhoff, Justin Williams, Johnny Oduya, Michal Neuvirth (along with trading Miller somewhere), Devan Dubnyk (along with trading Miller somewhere)

@ Bigbadcanucks:

Yup, I sure do know how QO's work...I also know that other GM's do as well. If you think our RFA's wouldn't entertain offers from other GM's (Arizona, Toronto, Edmonton, Buffalo, Carolina...) then YOU are nuts. We get them signed during signing week for a little more than you'd have to offer them on a QO anyways, and keep the vultures from circling. Each of our RFA's mentioned could and probably would get cherry-picked, if even to fill out a 3rd or 4th line role on a bottom 3rd team. So sign 'em or lose 'em...cause they won't be back in the A and I doubt ANY of them would sign a 2-way at this point (not if I was their agent anyways).

Vermette? 1/ instant chemistry with Vrbata...who would be better? Suggestions? 2/ Who cares what Chicago's issue was...it's not the same as ours...we need a centreman that can gain puck possession off the draw. 3/ He was on pace for 46 pts in AZI where he was getting 2nd line icetime...PS/ that would be SECOND on the Canucks for points by centremen. 4/ as for his value...well CHI gave up a prospect and 1st for him, so I'm betting he still has worth.

Neuvirth? Career 2.73 / .912 goalie (most recently with BUF he was .918 and in WASH also low 900's). He has won more than he's lost, and that was with some pretty crappy defensive teams (Washington and Buffalo) so it would be interesting to see how he'd do on a better defensive team. Also, as I stated, the culture for more than 2/3 of NHL teams will be to run 2 goalie tandem (seems to be going that way more and more)...so since NYI is set with Halak and Poulin...well, Neuvirth is expendable and would surely be snapped up for some to make up a fairly decent tandem. Also frees up Miller for a trade to add to our prospect depth and maintains a decent tandem (Lack/Neuvirth) for us...so win/win?

But thanks for your knee-jerk reaction...maybe think your response through first and look at things from ALL angles...and if you disagree then tell us what a better option would be? Remember, if you keep Miller at 6.00mil then the other options get more severely restricted...and you're left with basically the same team as this year minus 1 or 2 RFA's who woul bolt if we don't give them decent 1 way contracts. Then we're left filling their spots with cheaper (and less qualified) players. Gotta keep it balanced dude.

Long time lurker for a few years, but thought I'd throw my two cents in. All numbers are from NHL Numbers. I don't know much about the UFA/RFA list, but I wanted to see what our team would look like if we kept things in-house in terms of players. My guess is that the next season will be the last transition year before management really decides to "clean house" so to speak.

Forwards

Luckily for us, we have a steady stream of prospects

1st Line: Sedin ($7 million) - Sedin ($7 million) - Kassian ($2 million)

I think it's time that we gave the Sedin/Kassian experiment a long hard look. It'll support the youth movement of what the management is trying to do and give Kassian an opportunity to expand his role and develop as a power forward. If this fails, we know we have two other options in Vrbata and Burrows so there's very little downside to this in my opinion.

2nd Line: Burrows ($4 million) - Horvat ($.925 million) - Vrbata ($5 million)

There are worse ideas than giving Horvat a crack at second line centre. I think he was one of our best players in the playoffs this year and he will definitely be one of the cornerstone pieces of our organization moving forward. There's talk of trading Vrbata, but I think we'd be hard pressed to replace his 30+ goals. Some say he was invisible in the playoffs, but points wise, he put up the same totals as Alexander Steen, Ryan Getzlaf, and Rick Nash in the first round all while playing with less ice time (source: NHL.com stats). Burrows has heart and would do well in mentoring Horvat. He had a good bounce-back season and I think he has some years left in him.

3rd Line: Baertschi ($.875 million) - Bonino ($1.9 million) - Dorsett ($3.1 million)

I'm a sucker for alliteration, but I think Bonino would be a great option for a third-line centre that doesn't break the bank and can chip in offensively from time to time. I really like what I saw from Baertschi during the season closer with Edmonton. Dorsett adds some grit to this line and could be interchangeable with Hansen if this line needed a boost in speed.

4th Line: Kenins ($.753 million) - McCann ($.925 million) - Hansen ($2.5 million)

I would love it if we kept Richardson, but I think management will steadily cycle out our older players to make way for our prospects. Giving McCann a shot would earn him some valuable NHL experience and Kenins has proved to be a great physical player, which we could really use more of. Hansen provides a speedy option for this line and a good mentor. If McCann doesn't work out, we always have Vey.

Press box: Vey ($.772 million) - Virtanen ($.925 million)

I'm still not 100% sold on Vey, but I think he's a decent option for a fourth-line plug for next year before we get a clearer picture of him. Virtanen represents any of our prospects that could make camp and step up for the following year in case of injuries.

Total Cap for Forwards: $37.675 million

Defence

Our defence is a little trickier because we have number of players with many dollars on their contracts and no clear power play quarterback. It's good, but not great. I defer to more hockey-oriented minds to tell me what is wrong, but with the following pairings, we have a good mix of veterans, prospects, and a balance of left-handed and right-handed shots.

1st Pairing: Edler ($6 million) - Tanev ($2.5 million)

I simply don't see management throwing $5 - $7 million at Mike Green and unless I am missing something, there are no names that really jump out on the UFA/RFA lists (Erhoff? Schultz?) so I think we're sticking with Edler and Tanev for our first pairing and. Edler had a fantastic bounce back year and Tanev is starting to shine in his role so I think we're good here.

2nd Pairing: Hamhuis ($4.25 million) - Weber ($.892 million)

I'd really like us to keep Bieksa for his leadership, but I don't think he'll be back for next year. Hamhuis I think will ride out his contract with the team and Weber gives us an interesting option on the power play post-Sami Salo.

3rd Pairing: Sbisa ($3.2 million) - Corrado ($.632 million)

Sbisa is clearly not going anywhere and he does provide a youthful presence on our defence along with a physical one. Corrado is here mainly because of his right-handed shot and the fact that he has NHL experience.

Pressbox: Adam Clendening ($.859 million)

We took him for a reason.

Total Cap for Defence: $18.333 million

Goalies

"Starter": Ryan Miller ($6 million)

"Back-up": Eddie Lack ($1.3 million)

Note the quotation marks. I'm envisioning a 50/30 split. Miller provides more veteran presence while Lack develops into a full-time starter and gains confidence for the post-season.

Total Cap Hit for Goalies: $7.3 million

Summary

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Burrows-Horvat-Vrbata

Baertschi-Bonino-Dorsett

Kenins-McCann-Hansen

Vey-Virtanen

Edler-Tanev

Hamhuis-Weber

Sbisa-Corrado

Clendening

Miller

Lack

Total Cap Hit: $63.308 million

Other RFAs to Sign:

Stanton ($.605 million)

Markstrom ($1.4 million) ???

Conacher ($.660 million)

Total: $2.665

Total Actual Cap Hit: $65.973

Cap Available: $6 million to $8 million

Departed Players: Higgins, Matthias, Richardson, Bieksa, McMillan

Remaining RFA/UFA Prospects: Eriksson, Zalewski, Grenier, Friesen, Acton, Andersson, Archibald, Cannata, O'Reilley

Possible Players to Target via Free Agency: Cody Franson, Christian Erhoff, Justin Williams, Johnny Oduya, Michal Neuvirth (along with trading Miller somewhere), Devan Dubnyk (along with trading Miller somewhere)

I like most of your line up except the fact you have Virtanen in the press box. If he is not a starter then he is going back the the minors to get lots of Ice time. I'm not sold on Baertchi. McCann is not a head of Gaunce in development, gaunce is way more ready for the NHL. Also Webber should be our #7 and I would put Pedan in his place, he has a ton of potential for a young d-man and if he ever fills out is 6'5 frame he will be excellent, only issue with this is that he shoots left. Our best d-man for the future in Trymakin who has one more year on his KHL contract and then we will see his 6'7 230lb dman making the team, possibly replacing the likes of Hamhius when his contract expires. So we need to pick up a solid right hand dman to fill the gaps. 2 years from now we will have

Edler-Tanev

Trymakin-?

Sbisa-Corrado

Pedan

Archived