The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2015-16 Canucks Roster

hkang23

Therodigy

I like how you think but I have a few issues with your line up.

1. We have seen in the second half of the season that Dejardins prefers Vrbata on the 2nd line. This is to balance scoring, to have a 1-2 punch which is much more difficult to defend.
  2. Three players who project to play in the top 6: Kassian, Baertschi and Horvat are all close to being ready to take this role. In the meantime, there needs to be players in the line up who can fill these roles also. There are 4: Bonino, Burrows, Higgins and Hansen. One must go. Burrows it too versatile. The next oldest, Higgins is likely to move. Hansen has all the speed and forechecking ability that Willie wants. Like you suggest, Burrows, Hansen and Kassian can all play with the Sedins but Burrows is a natural LW so can help with Baertschi's introduction.
  3. We would all love to see Viratnen make the jump and maybe he will but I think that based on his uneven year after his shoulder injury, he will stay in junior.
  4. I think we see Miller and Lack in goal. Lack is close and needs a reliable partner because Lack needs a break from time to time. Lack is the future and Markstrom looks nervous to me in the NHL. I don't understand why because he has been great in the AHL but it is what it is.

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Baertschi Horvat Vrbata

Burrows Bonino Hansen

Kenins Richardson Dorset

Vey

Edler Tanev

Hamhuis Clendening

Sbisa Corrado

Stanton Weber

Miller/Lack

Alt up front

Sedin Sedin Hansen

Burrows Bonino Vrbata

Baertschi Horvat Kassian

Kenins Richardson Dorsett

Edit: I left Bieksa off my line up above :P. He's worth an entire thread himself. Bottom line, I think he plays on the 3rd pairing until his contract runs out at the end of next year. He doesn't have a lot of trade value and he really doesn't want to go anyways. The real benefit of moving him would be for cap space but if Matthias isn't re-signed and Higgins is moved, maybe Ritchie let go, the Canucks should be fine cap wise.

One of our biggest concerns this year will be a #2C...I believe this weakness was exposed through much of the season (it was our concern on day 1 the same as it was in game 6 against the Lames). Can Bo step up or should he spend the season at 3C and build towards 2C? I think our options are limited, but here's a couple of them (previously posted earlier in this thread):

F/A - basically it's Vermette and Fleischman, with the edge going to Antoine (He puts up more points and is ~55% on the dot)

Trade - Edmonton needs a goalie, we need a C, they're getting McDavid...sooooo...RNH or Draisaitl? To get RNH we're giving up Miller (which I'm OK with, but also a whole lot more - picks, players and prospects)...who knows what they'd want for Draisaitl but we kinda have that player already in Horvat, and Bo is better on the dot.

Vermette makes the most sense. Of the 4 he's the best at FO%, 2nd in PTS (RNH is 1st), 2nd cheapest (after Draisaitl).

If we're thinking longer term than just 1 season, well I suppose we could bite the bullet and see if we could get RNH. This would not only solve our 2C issue this season, but would give us a future 1-2 punch of RNH and Bo.

@theshady1

Completely forgot about Kenins. Love his tenacity, but obviously has some room to improve. I agree that if Hansen is traded that Kenins could fill the hole seamlessly, maybe on the fourth line, shifting Dorsett back to RW.

I wouldn't mind seeing Virtanen take another year in junior, which would allow us to keep Higgins or Hansen in the lineup. All dependent on his progression and if his shoulder holds up. It'd be nice to see him in the lineup though. My guess is he sees at least 9 games.

I really enjoyed Vrbata with the twins, but it would be nice to see Kassian play more than 8 consecutive games with the twins. Perhaps keep Vrbata on the1st PP unit and moving Kassian with the twins on ES. Would be interesting to see if Kassian becomes a Bertuzzi or an Anson Carter with them, though a slight concern if his probable stats command a massive pay raise in his RFA years without knowing he can produce at a similar level without the twins. I'd hate to see Kassian with a Bryan Bickell or Milan Lucic sized contract without a solidified grasp of what he can bring consistently. Then again, we won't know until it's tried.

Matthias definitely walks. I think the risks of signing him to a Lucrative contract and watching him disappear like Leino or Booth are much higher then letting the improved play of Horvat and Baertschi make up his 18 goals and 27 odd points.

As far as goalies go, I guess it's dependent on whether we sign O'Connor. If we do, it's possible to keep Miller and Lack as our tandem, and then trading Markstrom's rights at the draft. Of course, there's the variable on Miller's knee and whether it'll permanently slow him down, or if he'll be back at 110% and win another 30 odd games for us. I don't know if I'm ready to see Lack and Markstrom as our pair.

What do you think of the defensive lines? Do you think we should pursue Franson or Green in FA? Do we keep the status quo?Do you think we trade either Bieksa or Hamhuis? Possibly both?

@crabcakes

I'm definitely down to seeing Kassian with the twins for a more extended amount of time. I just really enjoyed the cycling havoc with Vrbata up there. You do make a good point though about balance, because shutting down the sedins is priority for all teams. Since we're trying to promote a four line system, it makes sense to put Vrbata with either Bones or Horvat, which leaves Kassian or Burrows up top.

With Burrows' versatility, I can see him playing with Baertschi. I can never remember which side Baertschi plays, but regardless, you can end up with a very good utility line with whoever is in the middle.

I mentioned above that our goalie situation will be dependent on whether we sign O'Connor or not. If we do, it makes it easier to swallow trading Markstrom, once you get past the whole Luongo fiasco. Then you can run Miller and Lack.

As mentioned above, if we trying to contend, we are short a heavy play-making 2C with good face-off skills (lol, like a Kesler maybe) and a legit #1 PMD (RIP Bourdon).

The best hope of that is probably improved performance of our existing players. Edler in his all-star year is a reasonable #1. Bonino or Vey as a #2C. Doubt it, but there are surprises every year.

I don't see a clear path to adding both on the FA market. Meh. Vermette and Green? Franson? I would take any on over-priced short-term contracts, but that probably involves trading away Miller, Bieksa, and Higgins to clear cap space.

Trade market? The best opportunities may be with teams that need to address fan disappointment with significant changes. Could we peel a legit C off of San Jose? Is Boston looking to make big changes?

Personally I think the path forward for the Canucks will require building value in players and then flipping them for solid return over the next few years while struggling to make the playoffs. I doubt we will ice a better team than last year, and we may regress slightly in overall performance. A 2-3 game regression and we are out of a playoff spot.

You build trade value in your players by having them perform well. This puts me out of the anti-tanking camp, but still supporting a "blow it up at the deadline". You build value by showcasing players that you want to trade. This puts me out of the immediate youth movement camp. Unless Virtanen or McCann are 100% ready to pull a Horvat, both are back in Junior next year. And I don't think they will. This also means you don't let any RFAs with any value walk. If they are on one-ways. they will either be on the roster or traded.

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Baertschi Bonino Vrbata

Kenins Horvat Hansen

Dorsett Vey Kassian

Shinkaruk, Gaunce, Grenier etc getting looks. Lines won't hold to form, but overall roster is reasonable.

UFA - Vermette if possible, in which case I move him up the depth chart.

Edler Tanev

Hamhuis Weber

Sbisa Bieksa

Clendening/Stanton

Corrado, non-waiver eligible D getting looks. Don't tell me Weber won't be on the roster but that you would pay $8M for Green. Weber is a cheap player with upside that could turn him into significant trade value at the deadline if his recent offensive play can hold until then. He absolutely gets re-signed and plays.

Miller

Lack

I'm expecting Higgins and Markstrom to be traded.

I doubt Bieksa or Hamhuis wants to move before the start of the season. They made the playoffs. There is help on the horizon coming from the youth. There is depth. I think they roll with this until we approach the trade deadline. If things go well, I expect that we look at extending Hamhuis, maybe even Bieksa, and Vrbata on home-town discount contracts. Whatever people say, they are hard to replace on the UFA market, and to replace via trade costs us assets - bad approach in my mind. If they refuse to sign very reasonable extensions then I think they get moved.

If we struggle, Bieksa, Hamhuis and Vrbata are all prime trade deadline candidates. I think it is much easier to go to Hamhuis or Bieksa and ask that they sign a desirable extension in Vancouver or be moved to a contender at the deadline; they are looking at being out of Vancouver in a couple of months anyway. Or they could be like Doug Weight in St Louis and come back to Vancouver after the playoffs on a cheap contract if that's a good fit for everyone. LA, San Jose, Boston, Columbus, many, many teams would be interested in picking up solid veteran D-man rentals. Pittsburg is always looking for capable wingers come deadline time - Vrbata anyone? Miller even - the return he commanded from St. Louis was epic. I don't think you'd get close to that again, but still. . .

A more interesting approach would be to move Edler at the draft. His value is probably finally headed back up after 4 years of stagnation - you might be able to get huge return in picks and prospects from a team looking to take the next step. It just depends on whether you believe Edler is one of your "core pieces" for the next few years that you can build around. Personally, I've never really felt that way about Edler - it was always Salo or Erhoff or Bieksa or Hamhuis that was taking more of the lead. I actually have high hopes for Clendening - I love how he is taking a leadership roll on the D in Utica. I totally get it if people say that they want Edler/Tanev to be the cornerstone of our D for the next 4-5 years - we don't really have anyone else right now. But if people truly are in the "full rebuild/tank" camp, then you don't need to worry about trading away your high-value players now. You are trying to tank. We are coming off a reasonably successful season where Edler showed well. If we get crushed next season playing our youth, his trade value will be low.

Anyway, just some thoughts. Benning will prove us all wrong.

I think if we step back and analyze what we have in relation to our competition then the fixes needed begin to show up:

(note: "TOP" is being used as a descriptive that would represent more than 2/3 of the league - in other words these players would fill that role on at least 20 teams in the league)

TOP 6F - We have 4 legit (Daniel, Henrik, Vrbata, Burrows - for 1 more year anyways). Considering few if any teams actually deploy 6 legit top 6 F (they usually have to augment the top 6 with a throw in - ie/ Maroon in ANA). The difference comes in how many augmentation players are needed (due to league parity), in other words, the top teams in the league typically carry 5 legit top 6, the middlers (us) carry 4, the "just missed" crowd probably carry 3 or 4, and the bottom feeders 2-3.

TOP 4D - I believe we have 3 legit (Hammer, Edler and Tanev would be TOP 4 on at least 20 teams in the league). With Juice (legit 5/6) filling a TOP 4 role some may think that this leaves us with a gaping hole in our TOP 4 D, and although this may be true of elite teams that will carry 4 legitimate TOP 4, I don't believe it causes such a hole that it becomes a top priority to choose to fill that vacancy over filling the vacancies in our TOP 6 F. I hope that one of our up-and-comers (like Tanev was) can eventually fill that role.

(I'm not going to bother analyzing our goaltending as I feel comfortable with either Miller or Lack starting)

This might mean we give up around 2.60 GAPG average (we were 2.7 this year) which is similar to TBL, but with 5 legit TOP 6 we would probably reach a GFPG of 3.05 or higher (we were 2.95 this year) which is similar to NYR and would put us at the top of the league again and a net +37. In other words we would sacrifice our GAPG to gain GFPG. Note that league bests this year were TBL at 3.20 GFPG (net +51) and CHI/MTL at 2.31 GAPG (net +40 / +32 respectively)...all 3 of those teams are still playing hockey. I think a net +37 would get us to round 2..at least.

With this slight improvement it could mean we finish next season with a STRONG 104 pts instead of the WEAK 101 pts this year (I feel we had a good year but legitimately played more like a Wildcard 97 pt team overall). Next year at 104 pts we would be a solid 2nd in the Pac8, and more than likely reach the 2nd round.

@therodigy

I go with Hansen every time over Higgins. They both bring similar point production, 16-17-33 and 12-24-36 respectively, but I like Hansen's heavier game and his speed. He's able to chip in with a God given skill that Higgins doesn't possess. Higgins does all the little things well in his own zone but drives me absolutely crazy in the offensive zone.

Agree completely with your thoughts on Matthias. He looked really good earlier on, and shows a lot of skill with his strength on the puck but doesn't seem like he has a mean bone in his body. I want this team to bring more physicality.

I also think we see Horvat take another big step this season and blossom in the 2C spot, once he earns it full time.

Your defensive lineup looks decent, but not spectacular. Clendenning has been excellent for Utica so let's hope he can transition that to the NHL in that role. With a more mobile partner, hopefully that will allow Sbisa to play more at home, and be able to take a step forward with smarter first passes. I don't hate on him like many here seem to.

If our prospects are as developed as everyone says they are, then Benning and co have some tough decisions to make moving forward.

I wouldn't be surprised if a handful of players were no longer a part of this team for the 2015/2016 season. Veterans are going to have to be moved out.

Wonder if Benning made any deals with the NTCrowd, for one LAST shot, this spring? EG: Okay boys, you get thru a couple rounds of PO's, or accept being dealt at the draft(perhaps even widen their list of possible destinations)?

Really hope he received this agreement from a few players. Would rather parlay excess vets, & we try not to squander any assets(due to the numbers-squeeze).

One example is sign Richardson to a 2 yr deal, & start Cassels in Utica. At 2016 TDL, deal Rich for a 2nd or 3rd & promote CC.

Could apply the same approach to a coupla' vet D & budding D-prospects.

It's going to be an interesting off-season for sure.

Sedins - Burrows

Higgins - Bonino - Vrbata

Sven - Horvat - Kassian

Dorsett - Vey - Hansen

ex Kennins

That's the current depth chart, and there's going to be the possibility of trades + FA's AND the youngsters such as Gaunce/Jensen/Shinkaurak/Virtanen all pushing and have a very strong chance at making the team next year.

Two guys that I would love to target are Belesky + Ward, but I have no idea who you would want to move to create space for those two guys. Higgins/Hansen/Burrows are all great bottom 6 players, but 1 or maybe 2 of them need to be moved just to create space.

I think both Bonino and Horvat are good 3rd line centres, but we need somebody just a bit more established in that role as both players weren't consistent offensively over the year.

Not a lot of options available. However, via trade I think Paul Stastny could be be an attainable option if St. Louis would take Miller.

Soderberg is probably our best option via UFA.

An offensive D would also be huge, but again not much available.

While Franson is a popular name thrown around, he would be another Jason Garrison. Bigger guy, good shot, puts up points but is not a puck carrier.

Best guy in the UFA market (realistically) is Ehrhoff. He kind of sucked this year, which will mean we can probably snag him for 1 year under 4 million. He was phenomenal as a Canuck, finishing 6th in Norris voting. While his game has probably declined, at 32 he certainly isn't over the hill and probably has at least 2 productive seasons left before he relegates to a bottom pairing veteran.

That said, we need to get younger. I say we toss Horvat into the two-spot, Gaunce into the four spot. Move Kass with the twins, Vrbata to anchor the second line and give Clendening a real shot.

Sedin Sedin Kassian

Baertschi Horvat Vrbata

Vey/Grenier/Jensen Bonino Hansen

Burrows Gaunce Dorsett
Kenins

Edler Tanev

Hamhuis Clendening
Sbisa Bieksa

Miller
Lack

Gaunce is kind of unrealistic. Considering we need more at centre than at wing (with Grenier, Shinkaruk, Virtanen, and Jensen all knocking on the door) it is too bad Gaunce was moved to the left side. However, I think a 4th line role beside two vets like Burrows and Dorsett would be great for his development.

Also I think if Grenier or Jensen can outplay Vey at training camp maybe they should get the third line spot. Grenier has taken huge strides this year, and while I don't watch Utica games on a regular basis I do watch game highlights and Grenier is in there more often than not on breakaways, rushes, or making good offensive plays, which is exciting given his 6'5 frame.

Benning needs to keep the recycling program going. Bieska can skate anymore... Hamhuis gives up to easy... Only three of our forwards throw hits... We need at least one guy who can wins some draws in our top six... Horvat ready?

Sedin Sedin Vrbata

Burrows UFA Kassian

Higgins Horvat Hansen

Dorsett UFA kenins

Vey

Beartschi

Edler Tanev

Sbisa UFA

Clendening Stanton

Miller

Lack

Defense is weak but you would hope Benning can turn juice hammer and Bono into a defenseman....

Trade Bonino

Trade Bieska

Trade Hamhuis

Is Sanguinetti worth signing? Never saw him play... Good numbers tho.

Mattias, Richardson and weber walk... Maybe sign Richardson for our fourth line.

Dunno not Many UFA defense to go after, can one of our winger play centre so Beartschi can play?

Any kids ready? Not likely...

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata

Baertschi-Horvat-Kassian

Burrows-Bonino-Virtanen

Dorsett-Gaunce-Hansen

Edler-Tanev

Hamhuis-Clendening

Sbisa-Corrado

Miller/Lack

Extra: Stanton, Vey

Traded: Higgins, Bieksa for picks/prospects

Soooooo almost the exact same team as this season? WATCH OUT, LEAGUE!!!

Out:

Higgins, Matthias, Richardson, Hamhuis/Bieksa, Vey?

In:

Shink/Baertschi, Grenier/Gaunce, Clendening/Corrado

Clendening is really moving up the deprth charts in Utica. I think he is as NHL-ready as Corrado and might fill an all-round phyiscal role better than Corrado or Stanton. Not much room on the blueline. Weber looked good for a breif time on the PP, but you saw how easily the Flames took his space away.

With Higgins gone, I think Shink can play a pesky 3rd line game with some upside. Especially with the equal minutes WD dishes out. Sven Baer will probably get the Vey treatment and be given a serious shot to stick with the club all year. Virtanen will probably get a look early as well. Grenier/Gaunce can offer some size on the 4th line. Vey still has a lot of upside, but it will be interesting to see if he can come in to next season a better hockey player and secure a spot on this team.

I thought Biega was really good for us when he was called up. Conacher is another guy with NHL experience that might find a spot on this team depending on what we do in the offseason. Nick Jensen is dropping off the radar really fast.

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Baertschi Bonino Vrbata

Kenins Horvat Hansen

Dorsett Vey Kassian

Finally someone that listens to what coaches players and insiders say

Vrbata or Kassian will not be on Sedins line as they like a tenacious checker that will get them the puck (burrows it is)

Moving Horvat to line 3 first is the progression that WD will do and not jump him to line 2

Keeping Kennins and Horvat together is another stepping stone WD will keep together as that was when Horvat played his best

The only thing I am not sold on is Kassian as I do not think that WD and management want him

But may have to start here to prove he is a healthy body before a trade can happen

** Although listening to JB there is a good chance that Virtannen may start out with the big club meaning Dors Jake & Kass may be alternating in and out while Virtannen see his 9 game thru

To start the year

DANNY HANK BURR .............................................(18 mins a game)

BEAR BONES BATAMAN .......................................(15 mins a game)

KENNY BO YANNIK ...............................................(15 mins a game)

VIRTANNEN .. VEY .. KASS/DORSETTE ................(12 mins a game)

This will be 9 games to see if Jake can make full time

And prove Kassian is healthy enough to trade

Archived