The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canuck Prospect Rankings

JamesB

Hockey's Future just came out with its Spring 2015 Prospect Rankings.

(This does not include players in the 2015 draft, and it does not include guys who have made the NHL as regulars, like Horvat. Baertschi also seems to have passed the threshold to be considered.)

The top player is Sam Reinhart.

Only one Canuck is in the top 50, That is Jake Virtanen at #31, way behind Ehlers (#3), Nylander (#11) and Ritchie (#19). It is disappointing to see Virtanen rated well below guys picked after him in the draft, but I can't disagree.

Here is how the Canuck prospects are rated:

1. Virtanen

2. McCann

3. Demko

4. Cassels

5. Jensen

6. Shinkaruk

7. Clendening

8. Gaunce

9. Kenins

10. Corrado

11. Grenier

12. Tryamkin

13. Pedan

14. McEneny

15. Subban

16. Hutton

17. Eriksson

18. Petit

19. Cederholm

There is a lot to disagree with on this list. But the interesting thing is that Cassels (a third round pick) has moved ahead of first round picks Jensen, Shinkaruk, and Gaunce. Clendening was a second round pick. According to their numbers Cassels has the same numerical score and letter grade as McCann, at 7.5 C, which translates roughly into "could be a second-liner or maybe a third liner but should become an NHL regular somewhere in the lineup". This is what you expect for a low first round pick.

In other posts I have suggested that the data shows that as a 19-year old Cassels performed at about the level of low first round pick -- i.e. he performed like a guy picked in the bottom third of the first round in his draft year. However, Jensen, Shinkaruk and Gaunce are performing more like second rounders than low first rounders.

Looking at the overall prospect pool, it has improved due to bringing in new players like Clendening, Baertschi and Pedan. And last year's draft was good, as was the 2013 draft (given that Horvat, Cassels and Subban were in it). But the progress of players in the system was not great. The only guy who really overachieved was Cassels. And Grenier finally made his way back onto the radar screen.

And there are no likely potential first liners in the pool. Virtanen is rated as 8D which means "could be a first liner but probably won't."

One strange thing is that McCann is ahead of Cassels in the overall list, but Cassels is ahead of McCann in the centers list.

Agreed that the Virtanen ranking is fair but disappointing. I wanted Ehlers, but am trying not to think about that. The good news is Utica and how Green is improving our prospects' development. As for how the latter are ranked, my only real quibble is that Jensen is a bit too high, but otherwise it's fair enough. We're going to have a pretty solid team going forward: if we can just get lucky and squeeze a bit of star power out of that list and the upcoming draft, we should be fine.

Shinkaruk should be ranked higher, he's going to be a top 6 winger for us in the future.

Shink is going to be one of our best Snipers in the future, he'll become our version of Patrick Kane I feel. Horvat will be our version of Toews, I feel very positive about our future and think the Canucks are trending upwards with the prospects we have.

Kassian, Horvat, Shinkaruk, Demko, Virtanen, Gaunce, Cassels, Subban, Tryamkin, Corrado, Kenins, and couple others will be important to this team going forward.

I really don't have much hope for Jensen, I think he won't pan out. Baertschi I'm not sure about, but I think he'll become an offensive 3rd line player.

Shinkaruk should be ranked higher, he's going to be a top 6 winger for us in the future.

Shink is going to be one of our best Snipers in the future, he'll become our version of Patrick Kane I feel. Horvat will be our version of Toews, I feel very positive about our future and think the Canucks are trending upwards with the prospects we have.

Kassian, Horvat, Shinkaruk, Demko, Virtanen, Gaunce, Cassels, Subban, Tryamkin, Corrado, Kenins, and couple others will be important to this team going forward.

I really don't have much hope for Jensen, I think he won't pan out. Baertschi I'm not sure about, but I think he'll become an offensive 3rd line player.

You use the term "version" very loosely. Like if I said Bonino was our version of a 2nd line center.

Hockey's Future just came out with its Spring 2015 Prospect Rankings.

(This does not include players in the 2015 draft, and it does not include guys who have made the NHL as regulars, like Horvat. Baertschi also seems to have passed the threshold to be considered.)

The top player is Sam Reinhart.

Which team has Reinhart?? I'm drawing a blank... :bigblush:

All hail the mighty two year tank job!!!

Agreed that the Virtanen ranking is fair but disappointing. I wanted Ehlers, but am trying not to think about that. The good news is Utica and how Green is improving our prospects' development. As for how the latter are ranked, my only real quibble is that Jensen is a bit too high, but otherwise it's fair enough. We're going to have a pretty solid team going forward: if we can just get lucky and squeeze a bit of star power out of that list and the upcoming draft, we should be fine.

His stock will be on the rise this year. It would have been a shame if he was picked lower because of a shoulder injury. I was, and still am, pretty stoked that the Canucks drafted him.

Archived