The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Carl Neill | D

HowYaDrouin

4 hours ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

Thanks for the updates on the all the Canuck prospects. Neill is putting up points the way we hoped Juolevi would. He now leads all CHL defencemen in points. I wonder why he did not at least get a look for the World Juniors. In addition to putting up a lot of points, he has good size and is regarded as good in his own zone as well. What am I missing?

1 hour ago, JamesB said:

Thanks for the updates on the all the Canuck prospects. Neill is putting up points the way we hoped Juolevi would. He now leads all CHL defencemen in points. I wonder why he did not at least get a look for the World Juniors. In addition to putting up a lot of points, he has good size and is regarded as good in his own zone as well. What am I missing?

He is ineligible. 

5 hours ago, JamesB said:

He's 20 years old.

9 hours ago, Salmonberries said:

He is ineligible. 

5 hours ago, Canorth said:

He's 20 years old.

Thanks, guys. I should have checked his age. I did not realize he was an overage Junior. In addition to meaning that he is not eligible for the WJC it also puts his numbers into perspective. Big numbers by overage players, even D-men, are not that impressive. I am sure we all remember Dane Fox (and many others).

But it will be interesting to see Neill in Utica next year.

Another two assists for Neill, putting him at 9-32-41 in 31 games for the year. Tied for ninth in league scoring, and still first amongst defensemen. He's also third in the league for assists.

His teammate and fellow d-man, Thomas Gregoire, is right behind him in scoring and a full two years younger. Went undrafted last year in his first year of eligibility... I'm no scout, but considering the amount of Draft+1 and +2 guys who went in the later rounds last year, I wouldn't be surprised if someone took a flyer on him. Neill himself was a guy who had to wait until his Draft+1 to get drafted, after all.

On 12/10/2016 at 11:52 AM, JamesB said:

Thanks, guys. I should have checked his age. I did not realize he was an overage Junior. In addition to meaning that he is not eligible for the WJC it also puts his numbers into perspective. Big numbers by overage players, even D-men, are not that impressive. I am sure we all remember Dane fox (and many others).

But it will be interesting to see Neill in Utica next year.

Dane fox was a product of Connor McDavid

58 minutes ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

And Connor Brown. Didn't stop people from hyping him up and placing him in the Canucks projected lineup

Big difference is Neill is leading his team in points as a defenseman without much talent on his team.

It's kind of like what Subban did on the Bulls, except Neill has the size and two way play to go along with it.

6 hours ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

And Connor Brown. Didn't stop people from hyping him [Dane Fox] up and placing him in the Canucks projected lineup

5 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Big difference is Neill is leading his team in points as a defenseman without much talent on his team.

It's kind of like what Subban did on the Bulls, except Neill has the size and two way play to go along with it.

Ok, I am willing to be cautiously optimistic about Neill. But I agree with @Ihatetomatoes that it is easy to overhype overage juniors. Anyway, like I wrote before, it will be interesting to see how he does in Utica next year (or maybe this year in the unlikely event that Utica makes a longish playoff run).

15 hours ago, DeNiro said:

We shall see. He still is a long shot, he didn't exactly blow me away with his play in prospects camp. I'll remain cautiously optomistic about an overage kid putting up big numbers in junior. 

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

A goal and an assist for Neill tonight, gives him 10-34-44 in 35 games. Still first in d-man scoring and 12th overall.

Seems like it's becoming a regular occurrence for him to have a goal and an assist.

Over-ager or not, it's good to see the consistency.

Despite him being an older player, two years removed from the draft, it is very nice to see him leading his team in scoring as a defensemen and also the continued increase in his production each and every year. Looks to be a very intriguing guy to follow going forward. Can't wait to see him hopefully continue this in Utica next season.

Whether or not any of them pan out, it sure is nice to actually have some potential in our prospect pool for a change, especially our defensive prospects.

Archived