The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks in 8 years

numb3r 16

I know its not perfect so please give some helpful tips, also this is with the current prospect pool this might very well change in the future (feel free to add your own line up suggestions)

1. Baertschi-McCann-Virtanen

2. Shinkaruk-Horvat-Boeser

3. Kenins-Cassels-Vey

4. Blomstrand-Gaunce-Grenier

Clendening-Corrado

Subban-Brisebois

Stewart/Tryamkin-Pedan

Markstrom

Demko (should be challenging for #1 goalie)

Didn't they recently make Stewart a forward?

You can't even predict a lineup 8 years from now with so many drafts and ufa summers in between.

I've never quoted one of your posts, but this one is basically the reason why this thread is futile.

If you want to play a game of predicting a future lineup using only current prospects and young players, sure, but if you want to try and be realistic then there's no point. We could be drafting significant talent in the next 3-5 years (and beyond) that could be playing in 8 years time. Also, we could be trading current pieces - even prospects you might have pencilled in - for other players and signing UFAs as well. Then there's the success rate of prospects actually making an impact at the NHL and predicting that far ahead is very much a crapshoot.

Having said that, I could point out how Demko would be the starter and Markstrom likely gone, how Stewart has been switched to forward, how you've missed players like Hutton and how you've forgotten about some of the prospects draft this year who could supplant some of our more marginal talent from previous years you've included. But what does it really matter in a thread this subjective.

So OP, you are pretty much saying that there will be no transactions made by our management for the next 8 years regarding free agent signings? Also, I sure hope that Demko is starting by then otherwise that would be terrible.

I would predict that we will have some new draft picks who will crack roster spots within the next 8 years, picks that we haven't even made yet. So I find this roster for our team 8 years from now quite unrealistic.

Imagine answering this thread in 2008....

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Raymond-Kesler-Grabner

Hansen-Hodgson-Shirokov

Rypien-Bolduc-Bernier

Bourdon-Edler

Bieksa-O'Brien

Vaananen-Ohlund/Mitchell

Luongo.

So I'd be surprised if 4 or 5 guys who are on/or close to being on the team now, will still be around in 8 years.

You can't even predict a lineup 8 years from now with so many drafts and ufa summers in between.

To put things in perspective, let's look at where things were 8 years ago -- in the summer before the 2007-08 season.

The first and second round picks for the previous 4 years (2004, 05, 06, and 07) were: Schneider, Bourdon, Raymond, Grabner, White and Ellington. None of those 6 players are on the team now.

The only players who played any games for the Canucks in 07-08 who are still on the team are the Sedins, Edler, Hansen, and Burrows. And most people would not have expected Hansen and Burrows to still be around 8 years later. This is five guys.

The guys who looked like they who would be around for a long time included Kesler, Bieksa, Luongo, Taylor Pyatt, Willie Mitchell, and Mason Raymond. They are all gone now, and several have been gone for a long time.

Of the 21 guys listed by the OP it would be very surprising if as many as 7 are still on the team 8 years from now. Six would be a lot. A more likely number is five.

If I had to pick 5 guys currently in the system who I think will be on the team in 8 years my candidates would be Horvat, Demko, Tanev, McCann, and Virtanen -- pretty much in that order.

I know its not perfect so please give some helpful tips, also this is with the current prospect pool this might very well change in the future (feel free to add your own line up suggestions)

1. Baertschi-McCann-Virtanen

2. Shinkaruk-Horvat-Boeser

3. Kenins-Cassels-Vey

4. Blomstrand-Gaunce-Grenier

Clendening-Corrado

Subban-Brisebois

Stewart/Tryamkin-Pedan

Markstrom

Demko (should be challenging for #1 goalie)

In 8 years Baertschi will be gone and I don't know about McCann as a #1 center. This could be what we see in 4-5 years though.

To put things in perspective, let's look at where things were 8 years ago -- in the summer before the 2007-08 season.

The first and second round picks for the previous 4 years (2004, 05, 06, and 07) were: Schneider, Bourdon, Raymond, Grabner, White and Ellington. None of those 6 players are on the team now.

The only players who played any games for the Canucks in 07-08 who are still on the team are the Sedins, Edler, Hansen, and Burrows. And most people would not have expected Hansen and Burrows to still be around 8 years later. This is five guys.

The guys who looked like they who would be around for a long time included Kesler, Bieksa, Luongo, Taylor Pyatt, Willie Mitchell, and Mason Raymond. They are all gone now, and several have been gone for a long time.

Of the 21 guys listed by the OP it would be very surprising if as many as 7 are still on the team 8 years from now. Six would be a lot. A more likely number is five.

If I had to pick 5 guys currently in the system who I think will be on the team in 8 years my candidates would be Horvat, Demko, Tanev, McCann, and Virtanen -- pretty much in that order.

To take it another step, of the 23 players that will apparently be on the Canucks in 2015-16, only those 5 James named were in the Canucks' system in 2007. Projecting that far in advance is pointless.

Archived